Trip Report Disney Zombies: Must Eat Cronuts – An October Trip Report

I suppose I should explain the title of this report before we get into it. :D My cousin, Pat, began the trip by saying we were “Disney Zombies” and it just kind of stuck throughout the trip. It was true that we did have some similarities to zombies. On this trip there were 8 of us so we moved in a herd. Like zombies, we also had very simple goals; we must visit attractions, eat food and have fun. The similarity to zombies ends there, I promise. :) Towards the end of the trip we began saying in our best zombie voice, “Must eat cronuts. Must eat churros.” It makes me chuckle so I thought it would be a good title for this October (not so scary) trip report.

The Details

Who: Me (Ashley) and my husband (Wes)

EPCOT_ENTR1_7072560683.jpeg

My cousin (Kevin) and his wife (Allyson). They were also with us on our November 2012 trip and were joining us again.

IMG_6395.jpg

My cousin (Pat), his wife (Kim)

IMG_7078.jpg

and their daughters, (Emily age 11 and Rylee age 6).

IMG_6919.jpg

When: Monday October 13th – Saturday October 18th

Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort

This was Rylee’s first trip and it was Emily’s first trip since she was 3. Rylee was 42 inches so she could ride almost all of the attractions, although some of them she skipped since she wasn’t quite mature enough to handle. :) It was Pat and Kim’s first trip in a long time so there were a ton of new attractions for them to see!

This, of course, wasn’t my first trip, but it was Wes and my first time going with kids. The last time I went with kids this young, I was a kid! We were really looking forward to seeing the girl’s reaction to everything. It was our first trip all together and I was looking forward to showing them the wonderful world of Disney!

Monday October 13th – Let the fun begin! :D

Today was an early morning. Our flight was at 6:05am so we were up super early. I didn’t get much sleep since I was too excited to sleep and I had to stay up until midnight so I could book our excursions and Palo dinner for our January cruise. (Tough life, right? :D) I think I had about 3 hours of sleep and then it was time to wake up and head to the airport. We spent the night at my parent’s house since they live close to the airport. Kevin and Allyson were on the same flight so we picked them up and all drove to the airport together. The rest of the group was driving down so we wouldn’t see them until later today.

Security was a breeze and we were to the gate with plenty of time before our flight. Our flight wasn’t even remotely full so we were able to spread out. Wes took a little nap on the flight and I listened to some Disney tunes to start this vacation off right.

2014-10-13065750.jpg

So sleepy.

2014-10-13070533.jpg

2014-10-13071620.jpg

2014-10-13072106.png

I thought it was very fitting listening to this song on the plane. :D

We arrived in Orlando about 20 minutes early. Sweet! That’s one of the many reasons I love Southwest and early morning flights. We made our way to Disney’s Magical Express around 7:45. (I know because I took a picture of this clock) :D

IMG_5591.jpg

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

Pretty empty this morning

IMG_5597.jpg

We checked in using our handy dandy MagicBands and got in line to board a bus to Pop Century.

IMG_5599.jpg

We were on a Mears shuttle instead of a DME bus. Boo. I wasn’t too upset though because we got a front row seat!

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5612.jpg

We’re here!

Pop was the first stop (haha that rhymed!). We checked in and unfortunately our rooms weren’t ready yet so we dropped off our bags with luggage assistance and then made our way to Epcot.

IMG_5617.jpg

Our rooms were going to be in the 50’s building. :)

IMG_5618.jpg

It was only 9:30am and we were already at Epcot! We decided that the first attraction of the trip should be Spaceship Earth. It gave me a chance to take a ton of pictures while we waited in line.

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

At this point the sun was doing something weird with my lens so the rest of my pictures didn’t turn out well.

I LOVED the parade! I was so glad that I stayed to watch. I decided to head back to the resort to get a little rest before tonight.

On my way out of the park, I caught some of the parade again. :D I couldn’t resist taking some more pictures.

IMG_6787.jpg

IMG_6793.jpg

IMG_6799.jpg

2014-10-15153808.jpg

I took a quick nap on the bus ride back to the resort. :D Hahaha I was really tired but I didn’t want to miss out on time in the parks.

IMG_6819.jpg

When I got back to the resort, Wes was sound asleep. I took this time to upload my pictures and relax a little bit. It was time for us to start getting ready so I woke Wes up. He said he wasn’t feeling very well and asked if he could just keep sleeping and meet up with us later. I was bummed that he wasn’t feeling well but if he wanted to sleep, that was fine with me.

The rest of us made our way to Epcot.

IMG_6820.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

IMG_6823.jpg

IMG_6824.jpg

IMG_6825.jpg

IMG_6828.jpg

IMG_6832.jpg

You can never have enough SSE pictures. :D

IMG_6833.jpg

We took a minute to get some PhotoPass pictures.

EPCOT_ECENTR1_7071885061.jpeg

EPCOT_ECENTR1_7071885062.jpeg

EPCOT_ECENTR1_7071887729.jpeg

IMG_6835.jpg

IMG_6837.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
We rode SSE, The Seas with Nemo and Friends and Turtle Talk with Crush.

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

IMG_6844.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

When I took the above picture, Kim asked me “Did you just take a picture of a trash can?” :p Hahahaha I was surprised she didn’t notice me taking pictures of trash cans earlier. I had to explain to her how I’m weird and like to take pictures of trash cans. :D

IMG_6849.jpg

While waiting for TTwC, I let everyone know that up next we would be heading to World Showcase to start visiting the Food & Wine booths! Pat gave me a green check mark for that statement! :D

2014-10-15191825.jpg

As we were leaving the Seas, Wes sent me a text that he was in the park. We met up with him and then we were about to head to World Showcase but I noticed the wait time for Soarin wasn’t that bad. This is Kevin’s favorite ride and we hadn’t done it yet so he was happy.

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

Being a goof ball on my direction :D

IMG_6855.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

Our group had to split up 7 and 1, so I volunteered to sit by myself. I tried to snap a picture of their dangling feet but it didn’t turn out well.

2014-10-15200750.jpg

Everyone loved Soarin. Rylee and Emily thought it was really cool! It was now finally time to head over to World Showcase for the Food & Wine Festival! :D Tonight our dinner was going to be walking around WS and grabbing food along the way.

As we walked over, I explained to everyone how the festival worked. I let them know that there were different booths that you could visit and get something if you wanted. I told them that they didn’t have to get something at each booth but that we would just wander around and pick food up along the way. We got to World Showcase and Wes wanted to go to the Canada booth first. As we were in line, Kim asked me again how this worked. I explained the process again to everyone and pointed out the menu. The guys got some beer and Wes got the cheddar cheese soup and a beer for us to split. While he was in line, some of the group started complaining about this being our dinner and again said that they didn’t understand what was going on. Ugh.

Meanwhile, Wes comes back with his soup and starts eating it before I could take a picture and I kind of freaked out on him. Oops. :(

We were three days into the trip and this was the first time I lost my cool. It wasn’t just the fact that Wes ate the soup before I took a picture (That would be silly if it was :D) but it was really a culmination of things. Everyone seemed cranky and they weren’t happy with the fact that dinner was walking around World Showcase. The F&WF is my favorite so I was really bummed that I wasn’t able to enjoy it the way I wanted.

I took the beer that Wes had gotten us, took a picture and then began drinking somewhat quickly. :D After I finished my beer, I was good as new. Hahaha

IMG_6863.jpg

You can see I had already started drinking before I took the picture :D

I felt really bad about my little meltdown and apologized to Wes and everyone else about freaking out a little bit. Luckily, Wes was the only one who noticed. It can be stressful planning for a large group and trying to keep everyone happy so I was thankful that this was my only time losing my cool throughout the trip. :)

We went over to the Mexico booth where I got myself a margarita and a shrimp taco. The taco was AMAZING! While I was getting my food, Pat, Kim, Kevin and Allyson wanted to go get larger drinks from Mexico. Wes and I took the girls to go get some cronuts.

IMG_6866.jpg

We decided to get 3. And by “we” I mean me. :D Hahaha

IMG_6867.jpg

IMG_6868.jpg

Oh, how I love cronuts! They are soooo good! The rest of the gang joined us and we let them have a taste of a cronut. Kevin and Allyson passed for some reason but Pat enjoyed it so much that he went and got another one. :D

It was clear that no one else was enjoying the F&WF right now so instead of staying for IllumiNations we decided to go hit up Test Track. I had had two drinks by now so I was ready to go with the flow again. :D

IMG_6869.jpg

We paired up in groups of 2 and Rylee was not excited for this attraction. She decided to start pouting. We did our best to ignore her, knowing that she would perk up eventually.

IMG_6870.jpg

So sad. :(

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6874.jpg

2014-10-15213514.jpg

Our car

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
I found a really fun way to design our car. I started doing the Price is Right wheel style where I would just spin the wheel of choices and we would go with whatever we landed on. It was really entertaining.

IMG_6876.jpg

Pat and Emily’s car

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6880.jpg

Kevin and Allyson’s car

IMG_6881.jpg

Rylee and Kim’s car

EPCOT_DPIRIDESYSGMTT_7072022962.jpeg

You can’t even see Rylee

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7079400146-1.jpg

High fives!

There were extra magic hours tonight but no one wanted to stay and I was fine with going back too. It was so unlike me to pass up staying in the parks but I was finally tired.

IMG_6884.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

IMG_6886.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

IMG_6888.jpg

I told you she would perk up! :D

We got back to Pop and Wes and I decided to get some food from the food court. Even though the shrimp taco and cronut were delicious, it wasn’t enough for a meal. We decided to split the pizza and Caesar salad and take it back to our room. The pizza was huge!

IMG_6891.jpg

It was a very late dinner but it hit the spot. Not too long after we got back, it was time for bed. We had another fun filled day tomorrow!

FlaggNL

Two parks within walking distance would be so nice! It would be hard to get lost going between parks! :D

Yeah it is nice, and no way you can get lost between the parks. You only can get of the TGV of you go in the wrong direction, but then again you will land in the centre of Paris by then and that's nice also ;)

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Love all your pictures!! Love the Pearl Jam shirt and that dragon picture with the blue sky, sun and flames... on of the best ever seen!! Great!!

Thank you! Kevin loves Pearl Jam. And I mean LOVES! :D Aw, thanks! I was really happy with how that turned out. With the sun in my face it was hard to tell if I was getting any good shots. I lucked out on that one.

What a great day that you have added to the trip report. All the pictures are really fantastic. Following along.

Thanks for following along! I'm trying to get this thing done before the holidays but it's been so hectic around here! My goal is to post more next week. I only have 32 days before my cruise so I better get this thing done soon. Hahaha

Great report! Never heard of a cronut before.:)

Looks like you had a great time - nice job with the parade pics, especially the Dragon!

Thanks! Never heard of a cronut?! :eek: :p We had a wonderful time!

Mmmmmm... cronuts!!!! So. GOOD!

Loving this TR so far! I figured there were be many trashcan and restroom sign pics to enjoy! ;)

Oh I wish I had a cronut right now! If only I could learn how to make them! Actually...probably better that I don't. :D

Thanks for reading! Yes...I was actually forgetting to take pictures at the beginning and then I did better as the trip went on. This is especially true with the popping out from behind stuff pictures. More of those to come!

Loving the TR!!!! So much fun!

Thanks for reading Jessica! We had such a great time! This was a really fun group. :D

Reading your TR was really fun! Love the pictures.

Thanks for reading!

janelove956

IMG_6428.jpg

IMG_6430.jpg

Emily and Pat were in the front row, with Wes and me right behind them. Kim sat by herself and Rylee was sandwiched in between Kevin and Allyson.

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_7079937141-1.jpg

I love this picture. Too bad you can’t see Rylee! She’s too little.

After Splash, we made our way to New Fantasyland to use our FP+ for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. We were really excited for this new attraction.

IMG_6433.jpg

On our way over to SDMT, Emily found a boy who was lost walking around the stroller parking area outside the carousel and pointed him out to her mom. We all then began trying to find the kid’s family. I told Pat to find a cast member. He ended up talking to some of the Royal Majesty Makers. It was really funny because they stayed in character the whole time they were talking to the boy and while trying to find his family. We watched them walk away with the CM calling for the boy's family and then Kevin found a family who was looking for a little boy who matched the kid's description. We yelled to the characters that we found his family but it turned out that it was the wrong boy. Oh man. The cast members had it under control so we finally made it to the Mine Train.

IMG_6438.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

The ride ended up stopping twice while we were on it. It kind of put a damper on the whole experience since we didn’t get to experience it the way it is supposed to run. It did give us some time to take in the detail in the mine.

2014-10-15131819-1.jpg

2014-10-15131831-1.jpg

When we all got off the ride, we looked at each other and said “that was it?” All of us, except for the girls, really weren’t impressed. The wait time for the attraction never went below an hour and we were just shocked that people would wait so long for the ride. It didn’t seem worth it. Maybe we were being too harsh. When I finally looked at our Memory Maker picture from the attraction, it looked like we really enjoyed it. :D

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_7079405350-1.jpg

I LOVE this picture! Everyone’s faces are just too funny.

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_7079941056.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_Magic_Kingdom_7079941729.jpg

Wes and I had FP+ for lunch at Be Our Guest. Unfortunately, the rest of the group couldn’t get them so they headed back to the resort for a break while Wes and I stayed for lunch. I was bummed that they wouldn’t get to see the restaurant but it was nice to have some alone time.

We had about 20 minutes to kill until we could check in so I took some pictures around New Fantasyland.

IMG_6444.jpg

IMG_6448.jpg

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6454.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6472.jpg

IMG_6474.jpg

Love all the detail
I completely agree with you on the whole SDMT thing. We waited for an hour and I didn't think it was worth it. I know a lot of people love it but it just want my thing.

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
I completely agree with you on the whole SDMT thing. We waited for an hour and I didn't think it was worth it. I know a lot of people love it but it just want my thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really wanted to like it but I just didn't. I think I need to ride again and go through the standby line before I make any final judgements. :)

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Thursday October 16th – Chef Mickey’s, Going with the Flow and Food and Wine Festival Fun :D

After last night’s lackluster reactions from the rest of the group at Epcot, I decided that we needed to switch up our plans. Originally, I thought we would spend the morning at Epcot enjoying some attractions before hitting up the Food and Wine Festival for lunch but I knew now that that plan was not going to fly. So, before we made our way to breakfast at Chef Mickey’s, I let the team know that we would be going to the Magic Kingdom after breakfast instead.

As we were boarding the bus to the MK, I got on my handy, dandy MyDisneyExperience app and changed our FP+ from Epcot to the MK. You gotta love technology! :D

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6901.jpg

IMG_6902.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

We arrived at Chef Mickey’s shortly before our 8:40am reservation time. We got our picture taken and then waited for our table.

CONTEMP_CHEFMICKEY1_7072101283.jpeg

CONTEMP_CHEFMICKEY1_7072101284.jpeg

We were seated at the same table we had back in 2012! How crazy?! It must be one of the few tables they have for 8.

IMG_6915.jpg

I love the view from this table!

IMG_6918.jpg

IMG_6919.jpg

THEY’RE SO EXCITED!! :D

IMG_6921.jpg

Pat’s excited too!

We grabbed some food and the characters started coming by.

IMG_6925.jpg

I LOVE breakfast buffets! Mmmmm

IMG_6929.jpg

IMG_6930.jpg

IMG_6936.jpg

IMG_6938.jpg

Donald was not very energetic today and didn’t do much interacting. We even told him he was our favorite but he didn’t seem impressed. Angry bird…(See what I did there? Oh, I crack myself up. :D)

The girls did a lot better with the character interactions today! I think it helps that these characters don’t talk to you or ask you questions. It takes some of the pressure off.

IMG_6942.jpg

IMG_6950.jpg

Goofy was great! He interacted with everyone at the table.

IMG_6954.jpg

Notice Wes returning from the buffet and photo bombing the picture :D

IMG_6956.jpg

There he goes…

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6963.jpg

IMG_6969.jpg

Group photo!

IMG_6970.jpg

IMG_6979.jpg

IMG_6982.jpg

Rylee’s face is too cute!

IMG_6991.jpg

IMG_6997.jpg

IMG_6998.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

IMG_7008.jpg

I brought my Minnie ears this morning so I had to get a picture with Minnie!

IMG_7011.jpg

Pat also wanted a picture alone with Minnie. :D

IMG_7014.jpg

I love this part of the breakfast!

Chef Mickey’s is one of my favorites! It brings back so many memories eating there as a kid. We had a great time at breakfast but we were ready to hit up the MK. We asked our waitress for the checks and Kevin decided to ask her how long she had been working here. She then began to tell us all about her 40 year career at WDW. She was quite the character herself! We also learned about how her sister was the only one in her family to have not spent a night in jail. Hahaha :D She just kept talking and talking about all kinds of things. Like how the servers at the Poly’s Luau used to get drunk back in the day. Wow...she shared a lot of information but she was nice.

We all couldn’t help but laugh at Kevin for asking her such an innocent question and then our waitress telling us her life story for the next 10 minutes. When she came back with our checks, Kevin asked her another, very innocent question and we heard another 10 minutes of her life story. :D I normally wouldn’t mind the chit chat but we were antsy to get to the MK.

We finally were able to leave and went for our first ride on the monorail!

IMG_7022.jpg

IMG_7024.jpg

IMG_7029.jpg

Monorail and Minnie Ears

IMG_7030.jpg

Woo hoo!

IMG_7032.jpg

Wes fell asleep for a little bit :D Hahaha

2014-10-16101912.jpg

2014-10-16101918.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Wes had decided before we left breakfast that he would head back to the resort to rest. He still wasn’t feeling well and didn’t want to miss out on any more than he had to so he decided to sleep off whatever was ailing him.

IMG_7037.jpg

The rest of us entered the MK and went straight to the Chapeau so I could show them the phone in there.

IMG_7038.jpg

I love these little details!

We stopped to take some PhotoPass pictures on our way down Main Street.

MK_MSCONFEC_7072188866.jpeg

MK_MSCONFEC_7072195363.jpeg

MK_MSCONFEC_7072193628.jpeg

MK_MSCONFEC_7072195365.jpeg

MK_MSCONFEC_7072195367.jpeg

MK_MSCONFEC_7072193630.jpeg

Hahaha

MK_MSCONFEC_7072193631.jpeg

MK_MSCONFEC_7072193632.jpeg

MK_MSCONFEC_7072193633.jpeg

MK_MSCONFEC_7072193634.jpeg

IMG_7042.jpg

We spotted the end of one of the Dream Along with Mickey shows as we arrived

We went straight to Adventureland to use our FP+ for Pirates.

IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7046.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

IMG_7052.jpg

Pat, Emily and I were seated in the very front row and everyone else was behind us. As we got on, Kim asked me if we would get wet and I said “No, you may get a little splashed but nothing too bad.” Oh. My. God. I was so wrong! We went down the drop to the pirate ship and we got completely soaked! Since when did you start getting completely soaked?!?! :confused: I’m talking worse than Splash Mountain soaked! I had my camera on my lap and didn’t put it in my bag since YOU AREN’T SUPPOSED TO GET SOAKED ON PIRATES! :arghh: Ugh. Thank goodness I was able to use my body to shield my camera after the first second of the water hitting my face. It was hard for us in the front to enjoy the rest of the ride since we were now completely soaked.

We got off the ride and the entire front of my jeans were wet. Talk about uncomfortable. Since we were in Adventureland and now needed to dry off, we decided to go for a spin on the Magic Carpets. Kevin sat this one out but the rest of us went for a ride.

IMG_7054.jpg

IMG_7059.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_7062.jpg

IMG_7065.jpg

IMG_7074.jpg

Wooooo!

IMG_7078.jpg

Next up it was time for another spin on its a small world. It is Rylee’s favorite after all!

IMG_7088.jpg

We’ll see you soon Tangled area restrooms! :)

IMG_7093.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

We then stopped at the Tangled restrooms. Did I mention that I love these restrooms? :p

IMG_7097.jpg

IMG_7098.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

IMG_7109.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg

2014-10-16125834.jpg

2014-10-16125839.jpg

We had FP+ to use on the Haunted Mansion. Rylee would be sitting out and Allyson volunteered to stay with her.

IMG_7112.jpg

After the Haunted Mansion, we made our way back to the Tangled restrooms to meet Allyson and Rylee. We made our way over to New Fantasyland to see Enchanted Tales with Belle. Kevin decided it was time for him to part ways so he left to head back to the resort. Pat was the last man standing. We got in line and then Pat decided that he wanted to sit this one out. He was just going to go sit and wait for us. Suit yourself!

IMG_7122.jpg

IMG_7127.jpg

IMG_7128.jpg

IMG_7130.jpg

IMG_7134.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
While we were waiting in line, Rylee was getting a little tired and cranky. I told her to frown so I could send a picture to Wes telling him that Rylee was sad he wasn’t there. Even though she was frowning in the picture, it made her perk up a little bit. :D

2014-10-16131704.jpg

Sad face for Wes

IMG_7139.jpg

IMG_7141.jpg

IMG_7146.jpg

IMG_7150.jpg

I love Emily’s posing!

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7163.jpg

I kept trying to get Emily and Rylee to volunteer to be in the show but they were too shy. Luckily they still got to meet Belle at the end and have their names announced. It was really cute!

IMG_7166.jpg

IMG_7170.jpg

IMG_7172.jpg

MK_ENCHANTEDTALESBLUE_7073197302.jpeg

MK_ENCHANTEDTALESBLUE_7073197298.jpeg

IMG_7174.jpg

MK_ENCHANTEDTALESBLUE_7073197307.jpeg

At this point in the trip, Emily still hadn’t been on Rock n’ Rollercoaster yet. Earlier this morning, I let her know that when we were done at the Magic Kingdom, I wouldn’t mind taking her to Hollywood Studios so we could ride RnRC. Kim and Allyson decided that they wanted to go too so Pat took Rylee back to Pop and us girls made our way to DHS.

IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7187.jpg

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom