Disney world on presidents week?

ElreTigo

but if your kids are off school others probably are as well...
^This x 10. Always always always always avoid the 3-day or 4-day weekends if at all possible. Look up school calendars online. Find out if the week or weekend you're planning on going has a name attached to it (ex: President's Day weekend, Labor Day weekend, Memorial Day weekend Christmas week...) If it has a name, that could indicate many if not all schools will be closed or having a 3-day weekend, meaning bigger crowds & higher travel prices. If at all possible with your schedule, try to plan vacations through the week just when the majority of schools are starting back from long breaks. If you keep away from the extreme crowds & take the road less traveled, your wallet & your stress levels will thank you!

Kristamouse

^This x 10. Always always always always avoid the 3-day or 4-day weekends if at all possible. Look up school calendars online. Find out if the week or weekend you're planning on going has a name attached to it (ex: President's Day weekend, Labor Day weekend, Memorial Day weekend Christmas week...) If it has a name, that could indicate many if not all schools will be closed or having a 3-day weekend, meaning bigger crowds & higher travel prices. If at all possible with your schedule, try to plan vacations through the week just when the majority of schools are starting back from long breaks. If you keep away from the extreme crowds & take the road less traveled, your wallet & your stress levels will thank you!
Hence my family traveling the 4th week of January:)

Kenny1132

My girlfriend and I chose to arrive the weekend of Labor Day and stay the following week, thought process being that pretty much everyone will be leaving Labor Day as schools start back up so we'll endure a rough Sunday and Monday before most people go home

Figments Friend

How many school "breaks" do you guys get?

I'm still in awe when I read people who say their kids have a "spring break". I wish our school did that!! It would be so much easier to take vacations and not have the kids miss school.
This year I'm thrilled that our break is 3 school days off. Last year it was 1..only Friday, back to school Monday. :(

In the Northeast, most public schools have these -

A week long *Winter Break* in mid-February ( Presidents Week ).
A week long *Spring Break* in mid-April.
The Summer off from school which runs from late June until right after Labor Day in early September.
*Christmas Break* which is about a week and a half starting a few days before Thanksgiving in late November and running until just after New Years Day in early January.

Add into that all the bank holidays, aka Monday Holidays too.

-

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I believe that's also the Princess Marathon week. My birthday is that week and I was checking prices and happened to notice that's when the marathon was taking place.

Princess Half weekend is not this coming weekend, which is President's Day weekend. Princess Half is February 24th through the 26th.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Orlando public schools are out on President's Day. We've gone that weekend. It will be crowded.

Minnesota disney fan

We just left yesterday, 2/16, and the crowd predictor for Friday, 2/17 was moderate with the weekend being heavy crowds. We planned our trip to miss President's Day and the marathon. We did hit the cheerleading championship, but they were no problem. There were a few 15's, but they didn't even chant and didnt' cause a problem either. I was dreading these groups due to the horror stories, but was pleasantly surprised at the lack of problems with them.

ElreTigo

Anyone at the parks yesterday (Saturday)? I figured it would be the worst of the 3-day weekend. Any updates on how crowds were?

Sonconato

Anyone at the parks yesterday (Saturday)? I figured it would be the worst of the 3-day weekend. Any updates on how crowds were?
Saturday was pretty crowded. Seven Dwarfs was 110 minutes and what actually caught our eyes was IaSW Fastpass line was quite long. There are two photos, one is the line I spoke of that was almost to the Memento Mori shop and the other were the crowds in from of IaSW, although, as you can see, it says only 20 minutes but we didn't believe it.
Small World Fastpass Line.jpg
Small World.jpg

For what it's worth, we were just at AK today and the CM said that the Festival of the Lion King was to capacity all day.

LAKid53

Premium Member
How should later this week leading into the weekend look? I ask because we fly in Wed and stay through next Tues.

Crowded...this coming weekend is Princess Half Marathon. I'm driving down Wednesday and returning Tuesday. The parks shouldn't be too crowded in the morning, since we runners will probably not hit the parks until late morning, early afternoon, since we will have gotten up at 2:30 am to make our buses. I would imagine a race weekend probably adds at least another 25,000 - 30,000 guests due to runners and family members.

Figments Friend

Yep.
Expect a uptick in crowds.
One should avoid Marathon weekends like the bubonic plague....unless one is running / attending of course.
A lot of folks visit during those Events, and the Parks will have quite a few additional people squeezed into them.

There are several of these themed Disney Marathons throughout the year on both coasts and can be looked up in advance online when planning a visit.
I always make it a point to keep away from those designated weekends as well as the days leading up to, and right after one of those events.

-

Last edited:

G8rchamps

DW took day off with kids today for Presidents day, DS12, and DD9. They left at noon....mike drop. (that's Mike with one eye)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yep.
Expect a uptick in crowds.
One should avoid Marathon weekends like the bubonic plague....unless one is running / attending of course.
A lot of folks visit during those Events, and the Parks will have quite a few additional people squeezed into them.

There are several of these themed Disney Marathons throughout the year on both coasts and can be looked up in advance online when planning a visit.
I always make it a point to keep away from those designated weekends as well as the days leading up to, and right after one of those events.

Upcoming WDW Marathon weekends:

April 21st - 23rd, 2017 for Star wars Dark Side

November 3rd - 5th, 2017 for Wine & Dine

WDW Marathon - Thursday, January 4th - Sunday, January 7th, 2018

So avoid WDW the weekend between New Years and MLK (Marathon), the weekend after Valentine's Day (Princess), the next to last weekend of April - and this depends on when Easter falls (Star Wars) and the first weekend in November (Wine and Dine).

In Disneyland, avoid MLK weekend (Star Wars), Mother's Day weekend (Tinkerbell), Labor Day weekend (Disneyland Half), Veteran's Day weekend (Superheros Half).

Figments Friend

I have a friend who is currently in Orlando for a convention this week.
Unfortunately, it is a terrible week to have a Convention in Orlando as everyone and their Grandmother from the Northeast is in town for the 'winter break'.
I warned him in advance it was going to be nuts....but he is attempting to visit the MK for a day trip.

Yesterday he tried, but he sent me a note this morning telling me about his experience.
There was an hour and a half wait just to get into the MK parking lot.
Yep...nuts indeed.
Needless to say, he gave up as he admitted there was no way on Earth he was going to wait in that long line of traffic just to park his car.

He will try again next week..on Monday...but I have a feeling he is still going to be dealing with big crowds.

I warned ya.....

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom