News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everyone will still have the same advantage from 7 to 11 months as they always had, which is all they were ever guaranteed. (And even THAT isn't really guaranteed.)
I’m not arguing that

I’m saying the flexibility was very attractive for many owners

I don’t have to go online at 6 at 11 months out to go to my “home”

MR.Dis

DVC is a giant scam, just like any timeshare. You don’t actually own anything you’re renting a portion of a year, but unlike normal renting, you have to pay for maintenance! What little you actually save over buying a regular hotel room is completely negated by the gigantic opportunity cost of that first purchase. Imagine if you put that 50-100k in a S&P 500 index fund 30 years ago, you would have 920k-1.84 million. Thats not taking into account the maintenance costs that could have been pooled to take a trip a little less often. Thats before we talk about any loans too. I cannot understand the mindset, especially when year after year the side benefits are reduced.
I think it is Progessive Ins, 2 kids in a tree house asking how parents got extra money as they were counting their allowance. The little boy states going to buy a scooter, the little girl states showing going to invest in Mid Caps. The little boy states you do you. Which is what I would recommend to anyone with money that is considering DVC--you do you.

TeriofTerror

DVC is a giant scam, just like any timeshare. You don’t actually own anything you’re renting a portion of a year, but unlike normal renting, you have to pay for maintenance! What little you actually save over buying a regular hotel room is completely negated by the gigantic opportunity cost of that first purchase. Imagine if you put that 50-100k in a S&P 500 index fund 30 years ago, you would have 920k-1.84 million. Thats not taking into account the maintenance costs that could have been pooled to take a trip a little less often. Thats before we talk about any loans too. I cannot understand the mindset, especially when year after year the side benefits are reduced.
I think you're making unfair generalizations. I spent $6700 in 2010 for 100 points. Compared to rack rates, I paid that off in under three trips. I now get a studio annually for around 6 nights for my annual dues of about $800. That's far less than a comparable Disney hotel room, before you even factor in discounts, cheaper AP option, etc. Not all DVC owners broke the bank to become members.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you're making unfair generalizations. I spent $6700 in 2010 for 100 points. Compared to rack rates, I paid that off in under three trips. I now get a studio annually for around 6 nights for my annual dues of about $800. That's far less than a comparable Disney hotel room, before you even factor in discounts, cheaper AP option, etc. Not all DVC owners broke the bank to become members.
Those were the good prices…and it’s hard to argue those

Now?

Different story

The dvc ticket removal is what irks me…and I’m not alone.

Bad Bob!! 😡

nickys

Premium Member
Agree to disagree on this one

Not interested in more owners and especially not in cheaper quality rooms with no amenities built
You’re not interested? Or DVC aren’t?

Why wouldn’t they be keen to attract a whole new section of WDW fans who might now consider buying in?

nickys

Premium Member
Wow, this thread exploded today lol!
I think these will be extremely popular and hard to get once the resort sells out and all inventory is declared. That is specifically because it holds 6 for low points. The old guard DVC wants to stay for a week and do laundry, but there is a big demand for studios that hold 5 or more these days. Do you know if this is also considered "deluxe" so that you get the extra evening hours? I assume that any DVC would be, but haven't read up on it.
Agreed. And yes, all DVC resorts are included in the “deluxe” perks.
My family of 5 + 1 grandparent sometimes have looked at the Cabins before but at the price point it wasn't worth it. However the kids are getting older (middle school instead of pre school) and the additional internal bus loop or golf cart is looking less of an impediment.

But I doubt these will be available easily to rent with dvc points.
It’ll be very easy to begin with, since only a few of the cabins will be declared into the trust to begin with. Just like all new DVC resorts. The rest will be available for Disney to sell.

As they sell more “use plans” (which is what these will be, not deeds), it’ll get harder. But Disney will retain up to 5% of the points.
Again…are the rooms selling?
The cabins? Absolutely they sell. Have you tried to book them, especially around Holiday times - Christmas, Halloween ….
What’s a point cost these days anyway?

I’ve lost track.
You mean when they go on sale or when members buy one time use-points?

The latter is $20 per point.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm not saying "the Cabins at Fort Wilderness are the greatest thing ever and they're perfect for everybody and if you disagree you're an idiot."

Of course the right resort for a particular family is going to vary. But a lot of the DVC people are reacting to the cabins with full-on outrage, like they're the worst idea Disney has ever had and we should all be upset that they're part of the inventory.

For the people who love Fort Wilderness, the idea that it "feels so cut off from the rest of the resort" is the whole point.
I think the points cost for a night will mollify a lot of the “outrage”.

A lot of people thought these would be priced like 1-beds and were therefore annoyed by the lack of a w/d, a master bedroom etc.

Now that it’s become apparent these are glorified studios they can be viewed in a different light. Perhaps.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The cabins? Absolutely they sell. Have you tried to book them, especially around Holiday times - Christmas, Halloween ….

You mean when they go on sale or when members buy one time use-points?

The latter is $20 per point.
1. Property wide?…the worst bookings they’ve ever had with the exception of two minor “incidents”

2. The former…and the one time use points are $25, aren’t they?

nickys

Premium Member
That’s the second mention of magical nonsense beginnings in the last couple of days…how do I not know what that is?
No comment. 😉

It was an incentive whereby when you bought points, you could sell the current year’s points back to DVC, thus reducing the price you paid.

The price reduction per point was the same as the OTUP cost ie $22.

When they wanted to cut the incentives, they cut the OTUP cost.

pdude81

But remember they can’t just sell them cash free will
It’s a very small number

The dvc owners have rights to those rooms for about fitty years
Any inventory that isn't declared can be sold as cash on day 1. And they only declare more inventory into the DVC association when they are getting close to selling out of the inventory they have.

So if it sells, they make money on sales and MFs. If it doesn't sell, they rent out for a bit more and then still sell the same point for more money next year. And if it doesn't sell next year, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

pdude81

No comment. 😉

It was an incentive whereby when you bought points, you could sell the current year’s points back to DVC, thus reducing the price you paid.

Ok, that has a name. And I think that program is a really interesting con on the new members, because they have to pay taxes on the money. All while DVD resells the room for more money than they give back. It's genius really

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No comment. 😉

Oh that?

Yeah…I got it. I just didn’t call it a corny name aimed at children.
Really not necessary. It was the standard delay incentive

It’s been around for decades

Fido Chuckwagon

My children are 9, 6, and 3. I've had young children since 2014. If I have in-unit washer and dryer I'll use it. If I don't, I don't care that much. It's certainly not something I would pay DOUBLE for. Because that's what we're talking about when we compare the cabins to a traditional 1 bedroom. The traditional 1 bedrooms cost double.

You caught me. My ability to do laundry on vacation is my SECOND-to-last priority. Running is my last priority.
Do you fly or drive? Being able to take less luggage because you can wash your clothes makes life a lot easier.

CaptainAmerica

No comment. 😉

Wait the Magical Beginnings incentive is $20? Wasn't it like $10 very recently?

nickys

Premium Member
Ok, that has a name. And I think that program is a really interesting con on the new members, because they have to pay taxes on the money. All while DVD resells the room for more money than they give back. It's genius really
I don’t think they had to pay tax. It just reduced the purchase price. It was a discount applied.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom