News Disney Vacation Club announces plans for more than 350 new cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They might attract a new demographic of owners - existing cabin fans. Also those that need a room that sleeps 6 at a lower point cost will be delighted.
Agree to disagree on this one

Not interested in more owners and especially not in cheaper quality rooms with no amenities built

Marionnette

I agree with @Sirwalterraleigh. Doing quick and dirty refurbs of existing hotel accommodations is just fast cash for DVD and a way for Disney resorts to offload some resort overhead onto the backs of DVC owners. Look at the number of new VGF owners who bought with the idea of staying in a studio the first week of December only to learn that many experienced owners had been walking those rooms for 2 months and the few that are available at 7:59 AM are gone a nanosecond past 8:00 AM at 11months. DVD doesn't care. They made a huge profit by slapping on some paint and putting a microwave in the room. No additional resort amenities were constructed. Member satisfaction is low on their list of priorities.

Plus, more points in the system just puts more strain on all owners who bought with 7-month flexibility in mind. Which is why I think the trust might appeal to some buyers. Imagine being sold on the idea that you can book your choice of a half dozen or so resorts (depending on how they add resorts to the trust) right at 11 months, instead of just one home resort, without understanding how limited your choices may be during periods of high demand.

CaptainAmerica

I agree with @Sirwalterraleigh. Doing quick and dirty refurbs of existing hotel accommodations is just fast cash for DVD and a way for Disney resorts to offload some resort overhead onto the backs of DVC owners. Look at the number of new VGF owners who bought with the idea of staying in a studio the first week of December only to learn that many experienced owners had been walking those rooms for 2 months and the few that are available at 7:59 AM are gone a nanosecond past 8:00 AM at 11months. DVD doesn't care. They made a huge profit by slapping on some paint and putting a microwave in the room. No additional resort amenities were constructed. Member satisfaction is low on their list of priorities.

Plus, more points in the system just puts more strain on all owners who bought with 7-month flexibility in mind. Which is why I think the trust might appeal to some buyers. Imagine being sold on the idea that you can book your choice of a half dozen or so resorts (depending on how they add resorts to the trust) right at 11 months, instead of just one home resort, without understanding how limited your choices may be during periods of high demand.
The "trust" thing is complete nonsense that the Kriegers and DISboards are hyping up for clicks (or maybe they honestly don't know any different).

Disney had to make the trust for the cabins because they can't sell a deeded real estate interest because the cabins aren't "real estate" in a legal sense.

That's it. There's no new "product" that's going to give people home resort privileges at multiple properties.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The "trust" thing is complete nonsense that the Kriegers and DISboards are hyping up for clicks (or maybe they honestly don't know any different).

Disney had to make the trust for the cabins because they can't sell a deeded real estate interest because the cabins aren't "real estate" in a legal sense.

That's it. There's no new "product" that's going to give people home resort privileges at multiple properties.
…ignoring that sales have hit the wall…
Not exactly seeing the trees there

pdude81

They might attract a new demographic of owners - existing cabin fans. Also those that need a room that sleeps 6 at a lower point cost will be delighted.
I think these will be extremely popular and hard to get once the resort sells out and all inventory is declared. That is specifically because it holds 6 for low points. The old guard DVC wants to stay for a week and do laundry, but there is a big demand for studios that hold 5 or more these days. Do you know if this is also considered "deluxe" so that you get the extra evening hours? I assume that any DVC would be, but haven't read up on it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think these will be extremely popular and hard to get once the resort sells out and all inventory is declared. That is specifically because it holds 6 for low points. The old guard DVC wants to stay for a week and do laundry, but there is a big demand for studios that hold 5 or more these days. Do you know if this is also considered "deluxe" so that you get the extra evening hours? I assume that any DVC would be, but haven't read up on it.
I think you’re right about the “need”…but doesn’t mean this is a good idea for DVC.

But they don’t care.

As far as “deluxe”…of course it is!
But this is also the first time they’re building with ZERO amenities and that’s just sliding further down the mountain that started with the concrete monstrosity at Caribbean.

JD80

My family of 5 + 1 grandparent sometimes have looked at the Cabins before but at the price point it wasn't worth it. However the kids are getting older (middle school instead of pre school) and the additional internal bus loop or golf cart is looking less of an impediment.

But I doubt these will be available easily to rent with dvc points.

pdude81

I think you’re right about the “need”…but doesn’t mean this is a good idea for DVC.

But they don’t care.

As far as “deluxe”…of course it is!
But this is also the first time they’re building with ZERO amenities and that’s just sliding further down the mountain that started with the concrete monstrosity at Caribbean.
Just for the record, I love the concrete monstrosity at Caribbean. That's a whole separate thing.

For this, I'm curious if it will sell quickly or not, as transportation there will likely suck and you're basically in a trailer. However, I think there be big demand to stay in the units. It's really their first dip into the concept of moderate (points) DVC. If this goes well, get ready for a big refurb at Riverside in 2026.

Disney will make a killing regardless, because they'll sell the units for cash whether people buy in or not.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just for the record, I love the concrete monstrosity at Caribbean. That's a whole separate thing.
It’s really not. It’s essentially the same thing: taking rack rooms out of service and dumping replacements into DVC. It’s lazy at the least.

For this, I'm curious if it will sell quickly or not, as transportation there will likely suck and you're basically in a trailer. However, I think there be big demand to stay in the units. It's really their first dip into the concept of moderate (points) DVC. If this goes well, get ready for a big refurb at Riverside in 2026.
They might…but if you notice - it’s been discussed daily - they can’t sell the rooms.

Disney will make a killing regardless, because they'll sell the units for cash whether people buy in or not.
Again…are the rooms selling?

JD80

I'm extremely interested in "cheaper" options for parties of 6 as I just wrote. Disney needs more family suite options that aren't two bedroom villas or just two rooms that you can hopefully get next/close to each other.

I'm amazed that Disney doesn't have rooms that are comfortable and affordable for larger families. It's a huge oversite. They need more Art of Animation family suites that aren't at AoA.

Google "Great Wolf Lodge Family Suites" if you want an idea of rooms that really work well with families with kids.

CaptainAmerica

I'm extremely interested in "cheaper" options for parties of 6 as I just wrote. Disney needs more family suite options that aren't two bedroom villas or just two rooms that you can hopefully get next/close to each other.

I'm amazed that Disney doesn't have rooms that are comfortable and affordable for larger families. It's a huge oversite. They need more Art of Animation family suites that aren't at AoA.

Google "Great Wolf Lodge Family Suites" if you want an idea of rooms that really work well with families with kids.
All the DVC members are Very Mad Online that the units won't include laundry. Maybe I'm the oddball but my absolute last priority on vacation is the ability to do laundry.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

They have renovated family suites at All Star Music that are better than AoA. Master bedroom with en suite, 2nd bathroom, VERY nice kitchenette with full size fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Lacks a toaster, which you can pick up at Walmart.

pdude81

It’s really not. It’s essentially the same thing: taking rack rooms out of service and dumping replacements into DVC. It’s lazy at the least.

They might…but if you notice - it’s been discussed daily - they can’t sell the rooms.

Again…are the rooms selling?
I thought you were making a different argument on Riviera, but agree on the replacement front.

We'll see how it goes, but I expect them to easily be able to sell these units for cash reservations at $400+ per night, like the "suites" at AoA. And if they are having any trouble with that, they'll just take shut down more buildings at the All stars or Coronado to increase demand.

Bocabear

We don't always do laundry, but we have loved using it when needed...especially without daily housekeeping...you can throw your towel in the dryer....you can wash your sneakers that got soaking wet from a rainstorm etc...the in-unit laundry is a real plus. and no one has rolls of quarters to use in an onsite laundromat, nor does anyone want to spend a few hours sitting in the laundromat watching their laundry when they could be out in the parks spending money... In-unit laundry is a very good thing.

CaptainAmerica

Unless you've got young children.
My children are 9, 6, and 3. I've had young children since 2014. If I have in-unit washer and dryer I'll use it. If I don't, I don't care that much. It's certainly not something I would pay DOUBLE for. Because that's what we're talking about when we compare the cabins to a traditional 1 bedroom. The traditional 1 bedrooms cost double.

Or need to wash your stinky running clothes from a race weekend.
You caught me. My ability to do laundry on vacation is my SECOND-to-last priority. Running is my last priority.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom