Disney Vacation Account

jcldtrek

So I was looking around on Disneyparks website and noticed a pretty cool feature called disney vacation account. It's a way to save up money for a future disney vacation. You pic how much you wanna save and what kind of trip your saving for whether it be Disney World or Disneyland etc. and then choose to save by week, 2weeks or month and they charge your card of choice and they keep your account going to whatever the planned amount your saving up too. You then can use the saved up money towards a vacation and any money left over can be put on a gift card for use at the parks or keep building for a bigger vacation. Best part if you wanna cancel they say it's no problem and can be fully refunded at anytime. It sounds pretty good and best part if you opt out you get your money back. A Disney savings account. :)

wannabeBelle

I cant speak for all agencies, but we have something similar but not as restrictive. If you choose to pay by credit card, you can indicate that you allow additional payments towards your vacation on our credit card authorization form. Once that is indicated you can, at your own discretion drop us a call or an e mail asking for us to put an amount you choose onto your credit card at a time you select. You aren't locked into paying a certain amount on a certain date, you can pay more, less or not at all. All vacation components must be paid off at 45 day prior to your arrival date for packages. In addition non refundable items such as airfare or trip insurance cannot be cancelled without a penalty, but prior to the 45 day deadline the rest of the package can be cancelled without penalty. Marie

Upvote 0
We have been going every August as of late and always try to get a bounce back deal when we go. We usually start putting away money in September for the next trip. Typically we have the money saved by March/April. Our 45 day out payment is usually around July. We tend to hold the money to the last minute mainly because it is our money and why should Disney have it. Though miniscule we also earn a few pennies (and I mean pennies) of interest on it. I guess the advantage of paying Disney instead of a bank account is they will charge a credit card so you don't have to put actual money in but can use credit to save.

Upvote 0

cbettua

I opened one to combine all my disney gift cards and it allowed me to immediately purchase my mickeys not so scary tickets. So yeah, it has its benefit. Also, I think I read that if you have your account open for 120 days and save a certain amount you get a $20 gift card?

Upvote 0
I opened one to combine all my disney gift cards and it allowed me to immediately purchase my mickeys not so scary tickets. So yeah, it has its benefit. Also, I think I read that.

Though it would be more of a hassle couldn't you just give the gift cards over the phone to pay for MNSHP? Nonetheless if they are giving $20 gift cards that is better than any interest from a bank account.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dadddio

I guess the advantage of paying Disney instead of a bank account is they will charge a credit card so you don't have to put actual money in but can use credit to save.
I imagine that most people would attach their debit card to it so that the money is simply slurped out of their bank accounts.

I doesn't really make any sense to do it through credit, since you would be paying interest on money that you hadn't even 'spent' yet. If you were going to do that, you could just pay for the vacation with the credit rather than go through the whole 'saving' angle.

Upvote 0
I imagine that most people would attach their debit card to it so that the money is simply slurped out of their bank accounts.

I doesn't really make any sense to do it through credit, since you would be paying interest on money that you hadn't even 'spent' yet. If you were going to do that, you could just pay for the vacation with the credit rather than go through the whole 'saving' angle.

Yes but if you are going to attach your debit card then there is no real advantage. Why not just save it in a bank account. I am not advocating a monthly payment by credit card just stating it seems to be the only reason to do it, aside from the potential $20 gift card. Otherwise why not keep your own money until 45 days out in a bank account?

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Some people do find it easier and more do-able to break up payments on a trip into smaller pieces so as to make them more manageable. I don't think I'd want someone else going into my account every two weeks, month, etc. and pulling out a set dollar amount. I prefer to be in charge of putting money towards a particular purchase at the time that it is good for me. I typically do wait until the 45 day mark before my trip to do the payoff, but I understand not everyone can or wants to do that. If a "payment plan" works better for our clients, that is fine and we are set up to do that with no additional charge. If not and they would prefer to manage their money on their end until the payment is due, that is OK too. Marie

Upvote 0
Some people do find it easier and more do-able to break up payments on a trip into smaller pieces so as to make them more manageable. I don't think I'd want someone else going into my account every two weeks, month, etc. and pulling out a set dollar amount. I prefer to be in charge of putting money towards a particular purchase at the time that it is good for me. I typically do wait until the 45 day mark before my trip to do the payoff, but I understand not everyone can or wants to do that. If a "payment plan" works better for our clients, that is fine and we are set up to do that with no additional charge. If not and they would prefer to manage their money on their end until the payment is due, that is OK too. Marie
This is sort of like the age old tax question, is it better to overpay your taxes and get a refund every April or is it better to underpay your taxes and the government money in April. Neither way is wrong but I believe most financial experts would argue its your money and you would be better investing it than the government so it is better to underpay and owe in April. Thus, the only real issue is are you capable of saving and putting it away on your own. The easiest way to accomplish that would be open a separate bank account and make a payment to it every week/month.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

This is sort of like the age old tax question, is it better to overpay your taxes and get a refund every April or is it better to underpay your taxes and the government money in April. Neither way is wrong but I believe most financial experts would argue its your money and you would be better investing it than the government so it is better to underpay and owe in April. Thus, the only real issue is are you capable of saving and putting it away on your own. The easiest way to accomplish that would be open a separate bank account and make a payment to it every week/month.
Agreed and probably at least a little more profitable, in that you may get interest on your money in a bank account. Still I do have people who prefer to do payments on their trips for their own reasons ( I don't ask as I don't want to be nosy) and we are set up to accommodate that. Marie

Upvote 0

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
As others have posted, this account provides a $20.00 gift card for every $1000 saved and spent.

Any refunds from Disney Travel go back into the savings account, then the funds can be placed into the account they originated from.

We used it this fast winter/spring to automate the payments we normally move to savings and resulted in a $80.00 gift card that we will use for a meal or so during our upcoming trip. The card came fast, real fast for Disney and was received in about two weeks after our request was submitted.

Upvote 0
As others have posted, this account provides a $20.00 gift card for every $1000 saved and spent.

Any refunds from Disney Travel go back into the savings account, then the funds can be placed into the account they originated from.

We used it this fast winter/spring to automate the payments we normally move to savings and resulted in a $80.00 gift card that we will use for a meal or so during our upcoming trip. The card came fast, real fast for Disney and was received in about two weeks after our request was submitted.
That then is an advantage of the Disney savings account. Of course though its not the equivalent of interest considering the money has to be spent with Disney and no harm no foul for Disney because they are banking on the $20 gift cards being used towards additional purchases exceeding $20.00.

Upvote 0

dadddio

Yes but if you are going to attach your debit card then there is no real advantage. Why not just save it in a bank account. I am not advocating a monthly payment by credit card just stating it seems to be the only reason to do it, aside from the potential $20 gift card. Otherwise why not keep your own money until 45 days out in a bank account?
The same reason that people use layaway or open Christmas club accounts. It's easier for people to save when the money is not sitting in their regular bank account and requires extra steps to access.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom