Disney Vacation Account

jcldtrek

So I was looking around on Disneyparks website and noticed a pretty cool feature called disney vacation account. It's a way to save up money for a future disney vacation. You pic how much you wanna save and what kind of trip your saving for whether it be Disney World or Disneyland etc. and then choose to save by week, 2weeks or month and they charge your card of choice and they keep your account going to whatever the planned amount your saving up too. You then can use the saved up money towards a vacation and any money left over can be put on a gift card for use at the parks or keep building for a bigger vacation. Best part if you wanna cancel they say it's no problem and can be fully refunded at anytime. It sounds pretty good and best part if you opt out you get your money back. A Disney savings account. :)

jcldtrek

Original Poster
I'd use the debit card or Amex. Least knowing that what goes into the account is specific for Disney. The bank would to me be too easy to wanna take money out. I think it would make me to more wanna build up the savings knowing it's for a specific thing. Either way it's a neat feature for those that wanna use it. Some may still find a bank their choice.

Upvote 0

Sassagoula-Rvr

I just saw this today too! Did it just recently launch? Figured I would come find an old discussion on it here, and the discussion took place today!

I'm seriously considering it...I know the bank would give me interest...BUT the $20 is kind of like interest...I'm only planning on saving for a year or less. So it's what, 2% interest basically over 1,000? (which we all know, the vacation will be AT least that...). And for me, it's a LOT easier to save when the money is gone to neverland. I think I might set it up tonight!

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

The best deal I think is to get a Target card and get 5% savings on gift cards. That's a $50 savings on $1000. Way better than the $20 Disney offers and you keep the money in your hands. I save up for my trip by buying $50 gift cards this way. I use them over the phone to pay off my room and use them for our food if I didn't already buy the dining plan. I also number them to keep track of them.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Get a Disney Chase card. Dollar value rewards are earned on what is charged and these rewards can be used for food, hotels, tickets, and just about anything at Disney World. Right now, I'm working on earning rewards to pay for a trip to the Epcot Food and Wine Festival.
I used to do this until I discovered getting 5% off at Target by buying Disney gift cards. That's 5x as much reward than Disney Chase.

Upvote 0

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
The best deal I think is to get a Target card and get 5% savings on gift cards. That's a $50 savings on $1000. Way better than the $20 Disney offers and you keep the money in your hands. I save up for my trip by buying $50 gift cards this way. I use them over the phone to pay off my room and use them for our food if I didn't already buy the dining plan. I also number them to keep track of them.

You can do both. Disney's Vacation Account will let you make payments with gift cards, it allows you to get $70 on every $1000.

We purchased gift cards at Kroger when they were offering 4x points toward fuel, saved me about $60 for every $1000 spent in gasoline costs because I saved $1.00/gal for months.

Upvote 0

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
I've been told you can take advantage of both discounts by using your Target giftcards to fund your DVA.

Upvote 0

EdC

Good system you've got there. I email myself the GC #'s to have as a backup and do the same with pictures of the cards. What's nice though is that I can put the cards in a safe w/ the Vacation Account, as the GC balance goes to zero when I enter it in to the vacation account. Zero chance of loosing the $$ now, and I can just reference the vacation account when I go to the parks. So I end up stacking the 5% off from Target / Discover with the extra $20 cards from Disney. ~93% cost and only one number to give online / over the phone.

I do caution that this is not a good alternative to a bank account. Anything at a 2% annual return rate beats the extra $20 Disney gives you. I realize 2% on a bank account is hard to get right now, but it wasn't too long ago.

Upvote 0

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Good system you've got there. I email myself the GC #'s to have as a backup and do the same with pictures of the cards. What's nice though is that I can put the cards in a safe w/ the Vacation Account, as the GC balance goes to zero when I enter it in to the vacation account. Zero chance of loosing the $$ now, and I can just reference the vacation account when I go to the parks. So I end up stacking the 5% off from Target / Discover with the extra $20 cards from Disney. ~93% cost and only one number to give online / over the phone.

I do caution that this is not a good alternative to a bank account. Anything at a 2% annual return rate beats the extra $20 Disney gives you. I realize 2% on a bank account is hard to get right now, but it wasn't too long ago.

It would depend on how long you will leave the money in your account too, if you are leaving the entire balance of your vacation $$$ for a month or two your net is very, very low compared to a 2% return on $1000 spend. Disney gives $20 per $1,000 spent.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom