Disney to increase the number of FastPass+ entitlements per day and include park hopping

Rob562

Not everyone is now using the RFID card. And people change their FP+ selections, so that isn't a reliable method.

Yes, but the Band readers wouldn't be the ONLY system. If they acted as part of an overall system that included inputs from Band readers, bus drivers, cameras and CM's at the park stops visually keeping track of things, it could greatly improve the dispatch system.

-Rob

Cubfan300

I think that putting MagicBand readers at the bus stops would be a fantastic idea. They really wouldn't slow anything down as they would be at the top of the corral. If you were running to catch a bus that the queue had already loaded, you wouldn't need to scan unless the bus went ahead and pulled away. This would actually be a benefit to the visitor.

Rob562

I think that putting MagicBand readers at the bus stops would be a fantastic idea. They really wouldn't slow anything down as they would be at the top of the corral. If you were running to catch a bus that the queue had already loaded, you wouldn't need to scan unless the bus went ahead and pulled away. This would actually be a benefit to the visitor.

The (hypothetical) readers being discussed wouldn't be anything a Guest would have to touch their Band to like the FP+ posts or park entry.

Instead, they would be antennas up in the rafters above the bus stop that could "see" all the Bands in its immediate area using their long-distance capabilities. Their functionality would be invisible to the Guest. But knowing how many Bands are in the area, how long they've been waiting, etc. could be very useful information in the dispatch of buses.

The system could theoretically go one step farther if it's directly tied into the buses that have arrived at each stop. The system could figure something like "This Band has been at the bus stop for 12 minutes. In that time, a Downtown Disney bus, an Epcot bus and a Studios bus have all come and gone. They are most likely waiting for a MK or AK bus" and then use that information to dispatch the buses.

-Rob

MrPromey

The interactive queues were part of the larger 'Next Gen' R&D initiative that also included FP+ and the whole MDE concepts. NextGen was a push to find ways to apply the new technology out there in the world to the theme park experience.

That makes perfect sense to me.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Yes, but the Band readers wouldn't be the ONLY system. If they acted as part of an overall system that included inputs from Band readers, bus drivers, cameras and CM's at the park stops visually keeping track of things, it could greatly improve the dispatch system.

-Rob
The (hypothetical) readers being discussed wouldn't be anything a Guest would have to touch their Band to like the FP+ posts or park entry.

Instead, they would be antennas up in the rafters above the bus stop that could "see" all the Bands in its immediate area using their long-distance capabilities. Their functionality would be invisible to the Guest. But knowing how many Bands are in the area, how long they've been waiting, etc. could be very useful information in the dispatch of buses.

The system could theoretically go one step farther if it's directly tied into the buses that have arrived at each stop. The system could figure something like "This Band has been at the bus stop for 12 minutes. In that time, a Downtown Disney bus, an Epcot bus and a Studios bus have all come and gone. They are most likely waiting for a MK or AK bus" and then use that information to dispatch the buses.

-Rob

If you read the information that comes with the bands. They mention that the bands are not only used by scanners at the attractions but have long range capabilities. Which I would guess is similar to a tracker or gps so they very well maybe already using them for transportation wait time purposes. They did recently add bus wait time screens to resort bus stops. It probably is part of plan if it isn't already in place.

dstrawn9889

If you read the information that comes with the bands. They mention that the bands are not only used by scanners at the attractions but have long range capabilities. Which I would guess is similar to a tracker or gps so they very well maybe already using them for transportation wait time purposes. They did recently add bus wait time screens to resort bus stops. It probably is part of plan if it isn't already in place.
bluetooth LE, or something to that effect is what they are using something that can read inside 30 feet or so, and is coded proprietarily.

jensenrick

Although I love the news, It still does not benefit someone who books their fastpass + in the evening. For example, if I were to visit AK in the morning and MK at night during a busy night I would book my 3 FP+ at MK. Since I would not of exhausted the there FP+, I would be unable to book any at AK.

But that's what is great about the system as it is!
Believe me, I was never a fan of FP+, but on a recent trip with Mom (after AP could finally make FP picks a week or so before we left) we did the same thing (AK in am, MK at night, picked 3 at MK) and it worked great!
We did what we wanted at AK in the morning, had a nice late lunch back at the hotel, and set out for MK later in the day knowing the things we wanted to do were all set. I even changed the times on my selections on the bus on the way to MK, as it seemed we'd be arriving later that I'd thought.

Mom turned to me several times this past trip and said how impressed she was with how it all worked out, and I have to admit, I was impressed too.

In the old paper FP system, you might have gotten one or two FP in AK that morning, but would have no opportunity for FPs at MK that night, certainly not for marquee attractions at the time you want.

UncleMike101

bluetooth LE, or something to that effect is what they are using something that can read inside 30 feet or so, and is coded proprietarily.
They're using the 2.4 Ghz ISM Band. It's the frequency used by many Cordless Home Phones, Home WiFi Routers, Bluethooth devices, and other unlicensed Industrial, Medical, and Corporate devices.
The encryption is done by random Number Generators that make it difficult, if not impossible, to lock onto a broadcast long enough to swipe data. :)

bhg469

But that's what is great about the system as it is!
Believe me, I was never a fan of FP+, but on a recent trip with Mom (after AP could finally make FP picks a week or so before we left) we did the same thing (AK in am, MK at night, picked 3 at MK) and it worked great!
We did what we wanted at AK in the morning, had a nice late lunch back at the hotel, and set out for MK later in the day knowing the things we wanted to do were all set. I even changed the times on my selections on the bus on the way to MK, as it seemed we'd be arriving later that I'd thought.

Mom turned to me several times this past trip and said how impressed she was with how it all worked out, and I have to admit, I was impressed too.

In the old paper FP system, you might have gotten one or two FP in AK that morning, but would have no opportunity for FPs at MK that night, certainly not for marquee attractions at the time you want.
I can honestly say that half the time when I go on a trip there, I go to a bus stop and the first one that comes is the park I usually go to. Weather can be a huge factor for me too, a super hot day, I can probably rule out walking around world showcase or animal kingdom.

I don't mind that Disney is allowing micro managing soccer moms to give their kids another reason to despise them later in life. I do mind the fast pass queues adding to wait times, there are apologists that claim it isn't true but it really is.

dstrawn9889

They're using the 2.4 Ghz ISM Band. It's the frequency used by many Cordless Home Phones, Home WiFi Routers, Bluethooth devices, and other unlicensed Industrial, Medical, and Corporate devices.
The encryption is done by random Number Generators that make it difficult, if not impossible, to lock onto a broadcast long enough to swipe data. :)
but all you would get is the bracelet number that is etched into the bottom... everything else is key referenced from databases on property.

bhg469

Yup....
Even getting that number will be unlikely because of the Random Number Generator that operates at 1600 cycles per second.
The number linked he bracelet doesn't change, at least the one that you will scan with an RFID reader. I can scan my band with my reader and get the same number every time.

RSoxNo1

With the higher crowds this week are issues still persistent at the Fastpass+ entrances? Are there still queues setup outside of the Fastpass+ queue?

jensenrick

It's all about gentle nudging. By encouraging planning, you add extra biases to stick to that plan.. including staying at Disney vs wandering freely and maybe wandering outside the bubble.

Exactly why there's a snowball's chance in Heck of FP slots going down to one (they didn't spend how many billions on this system for people to pick *one*) and I wouldn't want them to do so. Three seems a good number, more than I use most days (and probably most familes, or they wouldn't have picked 3).

And I sure don't want them to reduce the number of FP available attractions either- just the opposite! I think every single attraction should have FP, and I'm glad they are doing the viewing areas as well.

P.S. - we were in MK on 4/5 and the Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant was open and PACKED. I nearly fell out of my shoes in suprise. Just sayin'.

RSoxNo1

Exactly why there's a snowball's chance in Heck of FP slots going down to one (they didn't spend how many billions on this system for people to pick *one*) and I wouldn't want them to do so. Three seems a good number, more than I use most days (and probably most familes, or they wouldn't have picked 3).

And I sure don't want them to reduce the number of FP available attractions either- just the opposite! I think every single attraction should have FP, and I'm glad they are doing the viewing areas as well.

P.S. - we were in MK on 4/5 and the Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant was open and PACKED. I nearly fell out of my shoes in suprise. Just sayin'.
For clarification my desire for Fastpasses to drop down to 1 would only be for advanced bookings. You would still be able to get more Fastpasses, and in theory under what I proposed you would be able to get as many if not more than you would with the presumed plan to give guests additional FP+ reservations after using their first 3. I would like to see 1 advanced booking and 1 additional reservation that guests can make upon entering the park. After either reservation is used that guest can make an additional reservation as many times as they would like.

As for adding Fastpass to more attractions, I strongly disagree. If I'm not mistaken, the biggest attraction right now that doesn't have Fastpass+ is Gran Fiesta Tour. Outside of the 5 busiest days of the year, when have any of us waited more than 2 minutes to get on that attraction? I see that as incredibly wasteful. I'll concede The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean from my original list of 23 attractions that don't need Fastpass+. However that still leaves 21 attractions where the majority of the time, the time savings will be less than 15 minutes and in most cases, less than 5 minutes. I have no problem with those attractions being seasonal Fastpass+ attractions, but to have them available daily is overkill.

sporadic

Yup....
Even getting that number will be unlikely because of the Random Number Generator that operates at 1600 cycles per second.

Are you implying channel hopping / spread spectrum? Any data or references on this? I've seen a few mentions that the band uses the nRF24LE1 chip but most of it seemed speculation. The pictures I've seen of the base station internals showed a TI CC2451 which is Bluetooth LE, but can also be configured for proprietary protocols, including nRF24 compatibility. The internals of the band I've seen have shown a 24 pin QFN which is one of the nRF24LE1 pacakges, but I've never seen the markings or data to verify it.

If it is in fact a nRF24LE1, they probably have a dedicated RX pipeline configured for broadcasts. For example, querying band IDs on a ride. Assumption of course, but I think others who've designed systems utilizing the nRF24 radios would agree. Once that address is figured out, its only a matter of time before someone figures out how to stimulate the bands.

UncleMike101

Are you implying channel hopping / spread spectrum? Any data or references on this? I've seen a few mentions that the band uses the nRF24LE1 chip but most of it seemed speculation. The pictures I've seen of the base station internals showed a TI CC2451 which is Bluetooth LE, but can also be configured for proprietary protocols, including nRF24 compatibility. The internals of the band I've seen have shown a 24 pin QFN which is one of the nRF24LE1 pacakges, but I've never seen the markings or data to verify it.

If it is in fact a nRF24LE1, they probably have a dedicated RX pipeline configured for broadcasts. For example, querying band IDs on a ride. Assumption of course, but I think others who've designed systems utilizing the nRF24 radios would agree. Once that address is figured out, its only a matter of time before someone figures out how to stimulate the bands.
Here; http://atdisneyagain.com/2014/01/27/making-the-band-magicband-teardown-and-more/
This is the most descriptive article that I've found on the MB set up.
The bottom of the article has links to all of the device specs which are Public knowledge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom