Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney already has this... plus a TON more room to expand. Uni is quite limited even as it improves.. it will only be able to grow so much

Not true at all. They have land and are looking at buying more. They also aren't afraid to completely change their parks up as the current Potter project shows.

Disney wastes so much space and so much land.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney already has "the theme park land of the century"?
Where? DisneySea?

You get 15 LIKES for that comment?!??!

REALLY?!?!

And Disney doesn't have TDS so much as the OLC has it. Maybe you'll get there some day! :)

Cmdr_Crimson

Looking at that concept art got me thinking of something...Is it me or did they just toss the Ideas of Flamingo Crossing Concept art and brought it to Disney Springs?
Western-Way-Concept-Art-B-w.jpg
0447.FCS_2D00_12.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

articos

No, they were built because the old parking lot was replaced by 3 world class hotels, a world class theme park, and a shopping/dining/entertainment destination.

If anything, Universal probably needs a third garage or expansion of the existing two to cope with the crowds that will be coming the next few years.
Well put. The garages were built because - as part of the Universal City Florida (as it was called at that point) expansion plan at that point in time - every single piece of available land was planned for use, and the only way to park that many cars was to do parking structures. Hard Rock, CityWalk and UIOA are where the old surface lots were. There was a layout with one humongous garage and another with the 2 garages, which was eventually picked because it brought things back to a human scale, and it was cheaper to build. The hub between the 2 was also built with expansion in mind, both for connections to future modes of transportation and a future airport connector. Both garages were built to be expanded if necessary.
10 additional restaurant locations - lets hope at least a few have decent bars with some nighttime entertainment.
As @wdwmagic has said a couple times, this expansion is gearing DtD toward shopping and retail, which is in line with current day expectations and what Disney wants. As part of the expansion, and like many lifestyle centers/downtown shopping districts, there will be venues that cater to the over-21 crowd at night, a la restaurants that go more adult after 10p or themed bars like The Edison. That solves the problem of giving adults something to do at night, and also allows Disney to stay out of the business of running nightclubs or a club district, and keeping it firmly in the hands of operating partners. Not saying that Disney won't put an adult district back in someday, but this stage seems more geared towards any other retail/dining/entertainment lifestyle center, just somewhat Disney-fied. Will that please PI aficianados or those who want it to be a uniquely Disney experience? No. Will it please everyone else, who want a place to eat, shop and have a beer after the parks? Yep. And it will please Disney, who has always been ambivalent about being in the after-hours business in the first place.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You spoke of several attractions being brought back to their original presentations for the MK's 40th commemorations including the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room (Punta Gorda Bob notification app activated). It was after that they considered Stitch. Which, btw, they could still do. Simply alternate original and Stitch shows throughout the day.

Interesting that I remember this when everyone else has forgotten. :D

Tell you what, why not provide some links, since your memory is so spectacular?

emcclay

I feel like there are enough malls and outlets in central Florida. It's understandable that Disney wants to keep people on property. But, really? Put that money into the parks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You spoke of several attractions being brought back to their original presentations for the MK's 40th commemorations including the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room (Punta Gorda Bob notification app activated). It was after that they considered Stitch. Which, btw, they could still do. Simply alternate original and Stitch shows throughout the day.

Interesting that I remember this when everyone else has forgotten. :D
Did I? Thanks for that then. Let us know when you find the quote.

Stitch and Tiki Room alternating.... that made me giggle.... it's TDO after all...

jt04

Did I? Thanks for that then. Let us know when you find the quote.

Stitch and Tiki Room alternating.... that made me giggle.... it's TDO after all...

I know your memory is perfect and you would not have forgotten so if you are sending me to search for it must be deleted.:rolleyes: Perhaps to protect your sources.

It was the same period when you talked about the return of the Electrical Parade. Long time ago, 2009 or 2010.

MattM

There was a demand. Was it sufficient to build an entire resort versus what they did at ASMu and convert rooms, I dunno. But friends of the family recently took their grandson up for his first visit and paid $299 plus tax. Those are higher than rates I've had at Ritz Carlton and J.W. Marriott and amazing resorts from Paris to Las Vegas. ... You can BUY a timeshare (no, not a Disney one) for what these folks paid for a week there in these family suites.

BTW, Disney sent me an APer email on three email accounts touting special rates from early April to early June ... the rate touted was $82 a night at ASMu for a standard room Sunday-Thursday. And I'm supposed to feel that is a good deal.

I agree. A wing of AoA would probably have been sufficient. You can stay at just about any hotel in Orlando for $299/night, with the Ritz being the exception at certain times of the year. I got that email too. Bless their hearts.

"Hey, look! AoA is the same price as the Waldorf Astoria, let's stay at AoA instead!" - No one ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom