Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

I just told you that it did. Pleasure Island was the reason they could justify Disney for those occasions. Without it they stay at CityWalk or make other plans. I'm talking over 5+ close friends off the top of my head.
I know what you told me, but, I'm not so old as to believe it. If ones idea is to party...WDW is not the destination.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If this has already been covered, I am sorry, but I'm old and do not have enough of my life left to go through all 39 pages, but, I would like to say that I don't know of anyone that has ever gone to WDW because of Downtown Disney. Even at it's prettiest, it is just a fancy shopping center. Always has been and probably always will be. It's a place to go to fill in a day that isn't connected with a park ticket and suck whatever extra money you have away from your possession. But as an enticement for a trip because of it, I have a hard time thinking that is possible. Any improvement that they make there will just be an extra and intended to draw you there once you have gotten to WDW, not to get you to WDW. Carry on with whatever the topic is at this point in the discussion. :)

Agreed. A limited number of 20 somethings may have gone just for PI in it's prime but you are correct the majority don't go just for DTD. It is part of the overall WDW experience for a lot of people. Ever since Potter opened there seems to be a lot of people who look at every single thing built at WDW as having to be the "potter swatter" that makes people want to go back to WDW. Whether its this project or FLE or Avatar or any of the DVC resorts or any other small add you will hear people say that they wouldn't go to WDW just to see that. I think it's because Potter had such a dramatic and instant impact on Universal's attendance numbers that people are looking for and expecting WDW to counter and are often disappointed with what Disney is doing.

DisneyGuyNYC

I don't think WDW desires to appeal to the 21 year old demographic.
I think having some form of nightlife at all appeals to more than 21 year olds.

There is nothing inherently wrong with people in our 20's. Lots of us go to Disney every day. It's just providing the right setting and attracting the right kind of 20-somethings.

I don't think they'd behave any worse than anyone else in that setting. It's probably better to provide a place where that behavior is appropriate rather than letting it spill over into Epcot.

dupac

So as it stands now, is there really any good adults-only place for a couple of twenty-somethings to go after a day at the parks? Or even a non "adults-only" place that isn't swamped with children?

DisneyGuyNYC

I know what you told me, but, I'm not so old as to believe it. If ones idea is to party...WDW is not the destination.
It is if you're goal isn't simply to get hammered on a beach. We like to go out for a few hours at night but otherwise would prefer a normal day in the parks. Right now only Universal is providing that. I don't think that style of vacationing is specific to early 20-somethings.

DisneyGuyNYC

So as it stands now, is there really any good adults-only place for a couple of twenty-somethings to go after a day at the parks? Or even a non "adults-only" place that isn't swamped with children?
Nope. Hotel bars maybe. Jellyrolls but I mean... that's out of the way and you can only really do it one night.

Is that music video club still open by there? That place was a graveyard.

Goofyernmost

Well actually, it was, but ain't no more.
OK, I'll just have to realize that I am older then dirt and accept that people of my generation would have more self respect then to go to WDW to party. Family atmospheres are hardly conducive to party animals. I'll bet that they hardly ever had a decent wet t-shirt contest or anything. :eek:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
People went for Pleasure Island when they turned 21 or on Spring Break. Now my friends go to CityWalk and maybe around the world at Epcot.
I don't deny that but Pleasure Island was not their primary destination. Just a handy pass time. If they only went for the alcohol you would have found them in a place like Daytona Beach or Cozumel or any on a list of thousands. Pleasure Island didn't draw bugs in on it's own merits.
I think you guys are both right. For a lot of young people just looking to drink and party they would skip WDW even if PI was still open. But, there are some who would like to have the opportunity to do parks by day and party at night. I did it when I was younger on several occasions. Even before I turned 21 I went to WDW and went to PI every night of the trip (stone sober too except for 1 night when they accidentally gave me the over 21 wristband;)) I can't say that I would have skipped WDW completely without PI, but it definitely made the whole trip more appealing.

DisneyGuyNYC

OK, I'll just have to realize that I am older then dirt and accept that people of my generation would have more self respect then to go to WDW to party. Family atmospheres are hardly conducive to party animals. I'll bet that they hardly ever had a decent wet t-shirt contest or anything. :eek:
Who said anything about party animals or wet t-shirt contests? You watch too many movies. WDW is a fun place for people of all ages and all levels of self respect and I don't think having a bar or a club for after hours on vacation at a resort that purports to be for all ages is really asking too much.

Sorry I'll go back to my keg stand and 8-ball of coke now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

There is nothing inherently wrong with people in our 20's. Lots of us go to Disney every day. It's just providing the right setting and attracting the right kind of 20-somethings.

I don't think they'd behave any worse than anyone else in that setting. It's probably better to provide a place where that behavior is appropriate rather than letting it spill over into Epcot.
I'm pretty far removed from 21 now, but I still enjoy a cocktail or 2 and don't forget that WDW does a pretty good convention business which tends to be more adults without their kids.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Who said anything about party animals or wet t-shirt contests? You watch too many movies. WDW is a fun place for people of all ages and all levels of self respect and I don't think having a bar or a club for after hours on vacation at a resort that purports to be for all ages is really asking too much.

Sorry I'll go back to my keg stand and 8-ball of coke now.

10 additional restaurant locations - lets hope at least a few have decent bars with some nighttime entertainment.

Goofyernmost

I'm pretty far removed from 21 now, but I still enjoy a cocktail or 2 and don't forget that WDW does a pretty good convention business which tends to be more adults without their kids.
I never said that they shouldn't have that area available, what I was saying was that I didn't think that people were drawn to DTD or PI solely because of its existence. It was a usable side attraction, but not what brought people to the place specifically. It was more of a "hey, let's go to WDW and hit the parks and at night we can go to P.I." Not, "let's go to Pleasure Island for Spring Break and while we are there we can go to the parks". It's an extra incentive not THE reason to visit. That was my point.

And yes, they should have a place for people to go and have evening enjoyment without a mouse hanging over your shoulder.

John

You acknowledged that you understood having infrastructure in place to support crowds. I thought maybe you could explain that to him because I am tired of trying. He has convinced himself the only strategy Disney has is the current quarter. He never thinks they may have longer term goals. Which, for an enterprise as large as WDW, would be ridiculous.

Your absolutely correct....A company the size of WDC has long term goals....but for you to think you know what those goals are is just as ridiculus.

misterID

PI was meant to keep EVERYONE on property. It was supposed to bring all the kids going to downtown Orlando to the property. I went to PI without going to the parks many times. I remember going to the PI roller skating rink and there were tons of families there. And then there was the nightlife. When it first opened it was to attract every demographic. Why they decided to stop caring?? I have no idea. PI had a specific purpose. Now it doesn't.

Clever Name

It's not about behavior. It's about money. They're looking for people (families) that will buy a 50 year contract with the DVC and fill up their cruise ships and buy into all those expensive pre-purchased vacation plans. That is their target audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom