Disney slowly losing some of what made it special.

IDK, for me, I still get goosebumps during any firework show at MK everytime. Like many here, I loved Wishes - of course it's special and the story is great. I am however, a huge fan of HEA as well! They did an incredible job with the presentation on the castle with themed fireworks and lasers. I think that show is a great example of Disney World still having the ability to produce that "Magic".

That's just one example from my perspective.

I would say the only thing that is frustrating as time goes on with Disney is the prices. Obviously. And that's an easy complaint and not really what the point OP was trying to make. It's a tough bullet to bite for a 3 night long weekend later in August staying at a Deluxe resort with one day hopper pass for two and two tickets for Disney After Hours costs over $1,500 + whatever we spend on food and drinks during the stay. I'm sure after our December trip this year with both of our families, that will be our last time for at least a year, maybe two depending on how insane it seems come late February 2020 when we would think of going again.

Just typing that out makes me cringe a bit lol... Of course we don't mind and we are very thankful and fortunate that we can go on these trips with just us two to have a great trip - we LOVE Disney and both of our families love Disney so it has a very special place in our lives. With that said, by the end of this year, we will have been to Disney World 5 times in around 20 months (all trips were no more than 4 nights).

With all of that said, if money wasn't in the equation, I would imagine during the whole month of January or February every year during the winter in New England staying at one of the deluxe resorts for a long period of time with DVC and just loving life. Typing that, is how I know the "Magic" is still 100% there for me personally and just being there surrounded by everything Disney is what I love the most.

BellFamily2000

Exa
There's a reason there's a million "Disney is losing its magic" threads. It's because Disney's losing its magic. Strike that. Disney's killing its magic by its own hand. Doesn't mean there's no hope. Doesn't mean things can't turn around. Doesn't mean great things don't still happen. :)
Exactly!! And it doesn’t help that the cast members are either not happy to have a job and be working or having a bad day each day they are there. We ran into multiple rude CM’s while there last month and even heard one CM yell at a man who was trying to use some ice from a cart that was being emptied for his child who was hot in AK. It was ridiculous because not even 10 feet away another CM was helping a lady fill her sprayer with ice for her kids.

Here we go again. If you're a long time lurker, you know how frequently this topic arises. Was it really necessary to start another of the Same old same old? I'm out.
I honestly do not understand why you feel compelled to make such a rude comment.
Does it matter that he starts a thread on a similar subject?
Is he within his rights per the forum guidelines to do so?
Obviously if this subject matter comes up as often as you state than it’s important to people.
One final point. When thread exist for long periods of time people often ignore them because they are looking for fresh ideas or information.
Observations and comments like yours are unnecessary and unkind.

daisyduckie

Ha she didn't retire, that is what Disney calls it when they let you go. She "retired" around the same time they removed most of the country act OK, Moroccan, Fifi and Drum, players in England and France , the band over at Hollywood Those and others "retired" at the exact same timeframe.

There was some big hubub with a guest being mad about how the candy was handed out.

wolfeman

Ok, so about 6 or 7 years ago I posted has Disney lost the magic. At that time I was disgusted by cast members, attitudes just taking with them. Not the prices or anything like that, but I wasn’t feeling the atmosphere. We just returned from another trip, the 2nd or 3rd since my OG post. I felt like a huge difference. It was awesome. The friendliness of the cast members, cleanliness, just a lot of fun and good times. I definitely felt like the magic was restored

I am a big Disney fan and long time lurker on this forum. 2nd generation DVC and coming since 94. My concerns are that in the time I have been coming I have seen a erosion of the unique. Examples would be the candy woman in Epcot Japan, Adventurer's club , egg painting in Germany etc. Also the reduced capacity at the rides to save pennies on slower park day's. As I compose this so many things come to mind that have been reduced or removed, from park hours to activities. Disney is foolish to do this. I am fine with the increasing costs but keep all the special things, park hours and ride capacity. The fan base has a lot of patience and love for the brand but it is fraying at the edges. My feelings may really only apply to a long time park goer. If you are only here once or twice you are so sensory over loaded you would never see what I am talking about.
I couldn’t agree more!

donaldtoo

Been a Disney fan as long as I can remember, as are my DWifey of almost 30 years, and our 3 adult children, and we always will be...!!!!! :happy:
But, we decided to try something new last December, instead of a WDW trip...we took our first family cruise.
And, no, not a Disney cruise. We priced one out...similar everything as a Carnival cruise...but, for the $4,800-ish dollars (2 deck 6 aft cabins with verandas for 6 peeps) Carnival wanted, “Dizzy” :cautious: wanted $16,000+...!!!!!!! :facepalm:
What a joke!!!
I can buy an almost new car for that... :cyclops:
And, oldest DD and SonIL took a DCL cruise for part of their honeymoon in April of ‘14...they both said said the Carnival cruise was every bit as enjoyable as their DCL
cruise!!!!! We REALLY have NO desire to ever cruise with the Almighty Moneymouse at that price difference..!!!!!!! :greedy:
Next week-long Carnival cruise is comin’ up this Saturday...!!!!!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Why all things Disney is so completely stuck on some people, I have no clue...familiarity, maybe...?! :cyclops:
But, good grief people, adventure is out there...!!!!! ;) :)

7ABE36C1-DE73-4865-BB31-2EAE844BF0BC.jpeg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Been a Disney fan as long as I can remember, as are my DWifey of almost 30 years, and our 3 adult children, and we always will be...!!!!! :happy:
But, we decided to try something new last December, instead of a WDW trip...we took our first family cruise.
And, no, not a Disney cruise. We priced one out...similar everything as a Carnival cruise...but, for the $4,800-ish dollars (2 deck 6 aft cabins with verandas for 6 peeps) Carnival wanted, “Dizzy” :cautious: wanted $16,000+...!!!!!!! :facepalm:
What a joke!!!
I can buy an almost new car for that... :cyclops:

Understand cruise pricing is HIGHLY sensitive to load and season. The prices easily DOUBLE or more depending on time of year. For comparision, we typically cruise around halloween time... family verranda for 7 days for 5 in a prime location.. ~$5600. I think it cost about $2300 to put another couple in an inside stateroom.

Don't judge by your $16k sighting... that's the extreme and if you don't really shop right (buy early, not top dates, etc)

donaldtoo

Understand cruise pricing is HIGHLY sensitive to load and season. The prices easily DOUBLE or more depending on time of year. For comparision, we typically cruise around halloween time... family verranda for 7 days for 5 in a prime location.. ~$5600. I think it cost about $2300 to put another couple in an inside stateroom.

Don't judge by your $16k sighting... that's the extreme and if you don't really shop right (buy early, not top dates, etc)

Yes, I do understand that. But, for that December time-frame, those are plain and simply the facts for similar on a similar DCL cruise. There were 6 of us, so we needed 2 staterooms. Again, aft cabins with verandas.
$4,800 vs. $16,000+ isn’t even a contest for how much fun we had!
We can really only cruise, as a family, during either Christmas break or summer.
I’m not trying to argue, but, Disney just isn’t worth anywhere near the price differences to us at those times.
And, I’m not trying to be a smart***, or sarcastic, when I say I’m very happy for those of you that can go when you want, and are happy with the values you get! :)
Again, we’re just not that enamored with the occasional siting of a mouse and a DCL logo everywhere we go, to pay the MASSIVE upcgarge...OK, a bit of sarcasm in a bit of that ...!!!!! ;):)
Again, ultimately, whatever works. I’m not trying to sway/convert anyone...we all enjoy what we enjoy, and on the budget we can afford...!!!!! :happy:

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

more focused on the shareholders financial happiness vs the park goers experience

I totally agree.
I have to say this thread is entertaining to read. Love the passion on both sides.

The Radical Disney Supporters simply say, "Disney is perfect, the problem is you."

And then there is the rest of us.. We do not HATE Disney, its just the more years you go, the more things you see change. The things we notice the most is what perceive as a lowering of quality or value.

It bothers me the most when they change or remove a food item I liked, I already know I am over paying for it, but I liked it, looked forward to it and now its gone.

I think both sides can agree, its fun for us to argue but nothing we say will change what Disney does. Disneys first responsibility is to their shareholders, the guest experience at the parks and resorts is down the list someplace.

We must always remember, Disney parks and resorts will continue to work to lower costs and raise their prices for everything. Why? BECAUSE THEY CAN. Folks will keep coming, they just keep coming.. The parks are mobbed all the time.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

This is spot on. Shame too, and if people don't get that paintbrush, they feel cheated, which is really sad.
If you really want to pin the blame on something for the lack of new unique experiences at WDW look no further than your screen. The internet has made these things almost impossible.

Sure, I think the chances of some penny pinching suit putting the breaks on some of these things is entirely possible, but the real culprit is 140 million people all wanting that same unique experience they read about on Facebook.

Ever see the rush of parents with kids in tow at rope drop to TinkerBell's Treasures to wake Tinkerbelle or a couple of grown a$$ adults fighting over a paintbrush on Tom Sawyer's Island? I have and it is not pretty.

bsiev1977

I honestly do not understand why you feel compelled to make such a rude comment.
Does it matter that he starts a thread on a similar subject?
Is he within his rights per the forum guidelines to do so?
Obviously if this subject matter comes up as often as you state than it’s important to people.
One final point. When thread exist for long periods of time people often ignore them because they are looking for fresh ideas or information.
Observations and comments like yours are unnecessary and unkind.
Lot of people on here feed their superiority complex by rudely telling others that the topic has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Last edited:

PaulZ

You know what’s more annoying than Disney is going downhill threads? Griping about Disney is going downhill threads. You don’t have to read them. You can bypass them. Those who post the threads obviously feel the park isn’t what it used to be. Insulting them does nothing but back up that not only is it going downhill but so is it’s devoted to the point of death clientele.

And FTR, just got home from what feels like a largely abandoned by the park goers Epcot. Had a very good time today. Best one thus far since getting AP’s again in April.

analise

I am a big Disney fan and long time lurker on this forum. 2nd generation DVC and coming since 94. My concerns are that in the time I have been coming I have seen a erosion of the unique. Examples would be the candy woman in Epcot Japan, Adventurer's club , egg painting in Germany etc. Also the reduced capacity at the rides to save pennies on slower park day's. As I compose this so many things come to mind that have been reduced or removed, from park hours to activities. Disney is foolish to do this. I am fine with the increasing costs but keep all the special things, park hours and ride capacity. The fan base has a lot of patience and love for the brand but it is fraying at the edges. My feelings may really only apply to a long time park goer. If you are only here once or twice you are so sensory over loaded you would never see what I am talking about.
I really hope this isn’t true. We’re going in oct since our last visit was almost 10 years ago. We’re so excited! I hope there’s plenty magic still left

There's a reason there's a million "Disney is losing its magic" threads. It's because Disney's losing its magic. Strike that. Disney's killing its magic by its own hand. Doesn't mean there's no hope. Doesn't mean things can't turn around. Doesn't mean great things don't still happen. :)
Right on and well said. One of many examples is how the screwed up Soar'n. They turned it from something magical to a lets try and freak you out ride.

eliza61nyc

I really hope this isn’t true. We’re going in oct since our last visit was almost 10 years ago. We’re so excited! I hope there’s plenty magic still left

Personally I think there is plenty of magic left. Now if you are going to go on vacation and compare it to what happen 10, 15 years ago you are setting yourself up for failure. I will say the parks ARE more crowded and October is a big time for food and wine.

My avatar is from my April trip with my best friends. OMG we had a fabulous time. we only had 4 days so we mainly did Epcot and Animal kingdom. The parks were clean, cm's were nice.

i'm going back the last week of August with my sons, my niece and nephew. everyone is beyond excited. we've got all the fast passes we wanted and made a couple of adr's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom