Disney slowly losing some of what made it special.

Naplesgolfer

Original Poster
I am a big Disney fan and long time lurker on this forum. 2nd generation DVC and coming since 94. My concerns are that in the time I have been coming I have seen a erosion of the unique. Examples would be the candy woman in Epcot Japan, Adventurer's club , egg painting in Germany etc. Also the reduced capacity at the rides to save pennies on slower park day's. As I compose this so many things come to mind that have been reduced or removed, from park hours to activities. Disney is foolish to do this. I am fine with the increasing costs but keep all the special things, park hours and ride capacity. The fan base has a lot of patience and love for the brand but it is fraying at the edges. My feelings may really only apply to a long time park goer. If you are only here once or twice you are so sensory over loaded you would never see what I am talking about.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am a big Disney fan and long time lurker on this forum. 2nd generation DVC and coming since 94. My concerns are that in the time I have been coming I have seen a erosion of the unique. Examples would be the candy woman in Epcot Japan, Adventurer's club , egg painting in Germany etc. Also the reduced capacity at the rides to save pennies on slower park day's. As I compose this so many things come to mind that have been reduced or removed, from park hours to activities. Disney is foolish to do this. I am fine with the increasing costs but keep all the special things, park hours and ride capacity. The fan base has a lot of patience and love for the brand but it is fraying at the edges. My feelings may really only apply to a long time park goer. If you are only here once or twice you are so sensory over loaded you would never see what I am talking about.
Miyuki retired and went freelance.

KBLovedDisney

It's one of these threads again :rolleyes:

At this point, the best part is the responses making these entertaining and because it's summer.
Wanna know what the best part of summer is?

A...

tumblr_mzplgpZuE31s7aglzo1_500.gif

eliza61nyc

My feelings may really only apply to a long time park goer. If you are only here once or twice you are so sensory over loaded you would never see what I am talking about.

Here's another way to look at it. Disney might not be losing what makes it special, it might just be that you are old (as in terms of visiting the parks) and don't like the new stuff that the mouse is putting in. just a hypothesis.

sorry you feel that Disney is losing something. Great thing is there is a whole big wide world out there to discover.

Rich T

A lot of us feel the same way. Disney really is cutting costs and cutting back on many of the things long-time fans loved.

As many point out, this is discussed a lot here, but don't be put off by the Pixie-dust Disneyborgs who freak out at any criticism of the company. With some it's all-or-nothing, black or white. It's perfectly sane and reasonable to point out that there's a lot wrong with current Disney while *also* acknowledging that there's still a lot to like. Your opinion is welcome and valid, as are all. :)

Rich T

Can we get a "disenfranchised forum" where this and the million other "Disney is losing it's magic" threads can go?
There's a reason there's a million "Disney is losing its magic" threads. It's because Disney's losing its magic. Strike that. Disney's killing its magic by its own hand. Doesn't mean there's no hope. Doesn't mean things can't turn around. Doesn't mean great things don't still happen. :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's not that she moved on. It's that they aren't replacing those kinds of things in the parks. Disney needs to realize not ever item need to have a P&L statement attached. Raise the prices but include the harder to produce unique activities and attractions.
If you really want to pin the blame on something for the lack of new unique experiences at WDW look no further than your screen. The internet has made these things almost impossible.

Sure, I think the chances of some penny pinching suit putting the breaks on some of these things is entirely possible, but the real culprit is 140 million people all wanting that same unique experience they read about on Facebook.

Ever see the rush of parents with kids in tow at rope drop to TinkerBell's Treasures to wake Tinkerbelle or a couple of grown a$$ adults fighting over a paintbrush on Tom Sawyer's Island? I have and it is not pretty.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

I didn't say it is unmagical. I just don't understand the penny wise, pound foolish way they are slowly removing a lot of the details that made the park's stand out. One there the ones still around that I love is the guy in Animal Kingdom who does the wood carving.
I do feel somewhat that we may be losing some of the smaller Disney touches around Disney that a lot of us fondly remember.

eliza61nyc

A lot of us feel the same way. Disney really is cutting costs and cutting back on many of the things long-time fans loved.

As many point out, this is discussed a lot here, but don't be put off by the Pixie-dust Disneyborgs who freak out at any criticism of the company. With some it's all-or-nothing, black or white. It's perfectly sane and reasonable to point out that there's a lot wrong with current Disney while *also* acknowledging that there's still a lot to like. Your opinion is welcome and valid, as are all. :)

lol, so basically people would rather complain than compliment

I totally admit, I probably fall into the above category. I don't freak out when some one complains, I just acknowledge that if I had as many complaints as folks here have, no way would I drop thousand of bucks annually.

lol, maybe that's really why Disney is going downhill. they keep offering less and less quality and you keep going. I'm a cynical NY'er but if I kept offering less and less and my employer kept giving me raises and raises. well that would be sweet.

I get it though. Again, sorry you feel disappointment, hope you still enjoy your disney vacations and you are right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I'm going to play on the trip reports forums.

Last edited:

LeighM

My experience in the parks has been that it's not Disney that's losing its magic. People are losing their own magic for whatever reason. There has not been a time that I've been in the parks that I haven't experienced rude, inconsiderate, negative, or entitled behavior. That's what I see getting worse. Sure the ride times are increasing, it's harder to get ADRs and FP times, tickets and rooms cost more. But I see that corporate behavior everywhere so that doesn't bother me. It's the rudeness from the people around me in the parks that sometimes brings me down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom