News Disney reminds guests to behave at Walt Disney World or be asked to leave

lazyboy97o

You're talking about only the theme parks. For many people a WDW vacation extends well beyond that into the water parks, resort amenities, boat rides, shopping at DS. There are a lot of people who love the nighttime entertainment at POR and wouldn't miss it for a few extra rides. Having a drink at TOTWL is also a special experience. Believe it or not, Disney cares about those type of guests too.

Even if we do talk only about the parks, your solution is all standby and adequate capacity to the point that all rides would become walk-ons (because that's the FastPass Lane/Lightning Lane experience that we had). That's not happening in the immediate future so it's no kind of solution for anyone planning a vacation. I'm not crazy about Genie+ but I can work with it.

It's all about personal decisions and experiences when it comes to people actually visiting WDW rather than discussing it in the abstract.
All of those other things exist because of the theme parks. They are secondary to the theme parks. Without the parks they do not exist. Yes, Disney likes people going to these other things, especially if they pay for admission and visit for only a few hours, but they’re a minority of visitors and are still overwhelmingly there in the first place because of the theme parks. Those things are all bonuses on top of the attractions.

I have never, ever said anything about all attractions being walk-ons. This thought demonstrates the power of perception. None of Disney’s virtual queue systems (FastPass, FastPass+, Boarding Groups or Genie+) have ever offered or even promised walk-ons. Just the way Disney operates by pulsing groups and stacking loading groups makes it incredibly unlikely to just walk on unless the attraction is also a walk on for Stand By. People say they walked on because they do not perceive all sorts of things like waiting at merge, waiting for a pre show to cycle or waiting to load as actual waiting. All sorts of things can impact perception from how switchbacks are laid out in an overflow queue, to having queue scenes, pre shows, how much people can see, and movement.

I don’t know why you arguing bring up vacation planning. I’m not talking about individual vacation planning. I’m talking about the operational decisions that influence guest behavior. Parks can do things that make guests happy and they can do things that annoy guests. They can also do things that distort perception and situations better or worse. Not having enough capacity results in annoyed and stressed guests who feel they are not getting a good value for the time, money and effort put into the visit. Yes, you can say if that happens you just won’t go back, but others visit less frequently and that realization tends to come during a trip. That capacity cannot be easily expanded in the near term does not somehow negate its large influence on the guest experience. Issues are not fixed by pretending they do not exist. There things short term and long term beyond empty threats on a website that Disney can do to positively influence guest behavior.

Chi84

Premium Member
All of those other things exist because of the theme parks. They are secondary to the theme parks. Without the parks they do not exist. Yes, Disney likes people going to these other things, especially if they pay for admission and visit for only a few hours, but they’re a minority of visitors and are still overwhelmingly there in the first place because of the theme parks. Those things are all bonuses on top of the attractions.

I have never, ever said anything about all attractions being walk-ons. This thought demonstrates the power of perception. None of Disney’s virtual queue systems (FastPass, FastPass+, Boarding Groups or Genie+) have ever offered or even promised walk-ons. Just the way Disney operates by pulsing groups and stacking loading groups makes it incredibly unlikely to just walk on unless the attraction is also a walk on for Stand By. People say they walked on because they do not perceive all sorts of things like waiting at merge, waiting for a pre show to cycle or waiting to load as actual waiting. All sorts of things can impact perception from how switchbacks are laid out in an overflow queue, to having queue scenes, pre shows, how much people can see, and movement.

I don’t know why you arguing bring up vacation planning. I’m not talking about individual vacation planning. I’m talking about the operational decisions that influence guest behavior. Parks can do things that make guests happy and they can do things that annoy guests. They can also do things that distort perception and situations better or worse. Not having enough capacity results in annoyed and stressed guests who feel they are not getting a good value for the time, money and effort put into the visit. Yes, you can say if that happens you just won’t go back, but others visit less frequently and that realization tends to come during a trip. That capacity cannot be easily expanded in the near term does not somehow negate its large influence on the guest experience. Issues are not fixed by pretending they do not exist. There things short term and long term beyond empty threats on a website that Disney can do to positively influence guest behavior.
But when I do things my way, the parks are so much more fun and less stressful. And taking advantage of the bonuses instead of riding attractions from open to close makes ride capacity better for others. Maybe it's the majority who should try something new and take some of the strain off the limited capacity. There really is so much out there at WDW to enjoy beyond just the theme parks!

I didn't initially bring up vacation planning. I think it was someone else who said that having to do so much planning causes people to lose it at WDW if things don't work out.

I think you said all standby with adequate capacity would give everyone the FastPass/Lightning Lane experience. Disney doesn't guarantee it but those lines usually have very little or no wait. And there will always be long waits for the newest, most popular rides so there's that issue.

In any event, this has been interesting but has gone off-topic, which is discouraged.

Californian Elitist

Hot and steaming. Melting under the heat and humidity during a WDW summer adds to the stress and impatience of some.
I can attest to this. My friend and I decided to visit WDW for one day during a trip to visit our friend, who lives in Florida. I told my friend that I wanted to get to MK in the morning, but she insisted that we arrive in the evening because of the heat. We went back and forth on what do, which stressed me out because I wanted to get as much done as possible, and I had no intentions on purchasing Genie+. Long story short, we got to Orlando, and the heat was absolutely unbearable. I get really bad headaches in intense heat and get very irritated as well. The thought of walking into the park with the heat bearing down on me was stressful, as I was afraid of potentially getting a headache and leaving early. I didn’t want to ruin the vibe. We ended up staying away and heading in at around 6pm, just as my friend suggested we do.

I’m spoiled by Southern Californian weather. If I ever return to WDW, I’ll never go in May again.

P.S. Planning just one day at WDW was stressful. I can’t imagine planning a multi-day visit.

Chi84

Premium Member
I can attest to this. My friend and I decided to visit WDW for one day during a trip to visit our friend, who lives in Florida. I told my friend that I wanted to get to MK in the morning, but she insisted that we arrive in the evening because of the heat. We went back and forth on what do, which stressed me out because I wanted to get as much done as possible, and I had no intentions on purchasing Genie+. Long story short, we got to Orlando, and the heat was absolutely unbearable. I get really bad headaches in intense heat and get very irritated as well. The thought of walking into the park with the heat bearing down on me was stressful, as I was afraid of potentially getting a headache and leaving early. I didn’t want to ruin the vibe. We ended up staying away and heading in at around 6pm, just as my friend suggested we do.

I’m spoiled by Southern Californian weather. If I ever return to WDW, I’ll never go in May again.

P.S. Planning just one day at WDW was stressful. I can’t imagine planning a multi-day visit.
The heat can be debilitating if you’re not used to it. That’s something you really can’t prepare for adequately. It’s one of the reasons we like to split our day between water parks/resort pools during the day and theme parks later.

Club34

1671340911339.png

MrPromey

I do understand, but it's still ultimately up to people to recognize and control their triggers without misbehaving toward others. Disney, like many locations, is out in the open about not allowing smoking.

If someone is so affected by not being able to smoke that they would be prone to "snapping," then maybe a trip to the doctor to consider a nicotine substitute or some other viable option would work. Maybe they should buy Genie+ so the waits aren't so long (smoking is an expensive habit). If a completely non-smoking environment is something that a person just can't handle, maybe a totally non-smoking environment does not work for that family no matter how much some of the members want to go. Disney isn't going to add smoking sections - no one is doing that - so understanding alone does nothing.

As far as line skip systems go, WDW's is terrible right now and I understand they are considering steps to make it better. But we're not talking about people eating a loaf of bread in front of starving children here. If someone can't deal with a line skip system at a ridiculously expensive vacation venue, they can buy Genie+ or find it within themselves to deal with the consequences of not having it. Maybe remove themselves from the line if it's a choice between riding and "snapping" to the point of misbehaving toward others.

The topic of this thread is guests' misbehavior toward other guests. Understanding without excusing is pretty useless when you're talking about misbehavior. People who are the victims see only the misbehavior, not the reasons for it.
If you understand.

What are you debating?

I said (twice) that it's ultimately up to the individual to control themselves in the post you're responding to.

Every other person who has responded with a similar opinion to mine has said the same thing at least once.

So where is the disagreement?

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
If you understand, what are you debating?

I said (twice) that it's ultimately up to the individual to control themselves in the post you're responding to.

Every other person who has responded with a similar opinion to mine has said the same thing at least once.

So where is the disagreement?
I was debating this part:
... which leads me to believe either they don't actually understand or that they're not arguing/debating in good faith and are doing a pretty awful job of hiding it.

MrPromey

I was debating this part:

But what about the first half of that?:

I'm noticing a few people here saying they "understand" and then a post or two later responding sarcastically with statements like "it's all Disney's fault!" when that's clearly not what anyone here has even come close to saying.

Maybe my dropping it down to another line and doing the ... for dramatic pause threw the flow off?

Because that's certainly not behavior I'm accusing you of.

MrPromey

So I guess the bottom line is we should consider ourselves lucky there was no mass casualty event when all those people lost out on Taylor Swift tickets…

Apparently that isn't stopping congress from getting involved, though.

Glad the leaders of our government are there to step in and deal with the real issues our country is grappling with, today.

Aren't you?

Touchdown

Perhaps you were stressed because you had unrealistic expectations. I recently did a short 2 day add on to my Universal trip. My goals for this trip was simple, I wanted to do the Christmas stuff, ie the Christmas Party and Candlelight. I settled on doing a morning at DHS and the Party one day and an entire day at Epcot. Since the trip would be a Sun-Mon I stayed at a deluxe hotel to get EMH at Epcot Mon. The most stressful part was procuring a Candlelight reservation but I did. Had a great time, and during none of it did I stress out on missing something. Star Tours, Falcon, A:SS, Fantasmic, CoP, Mermaid, Pooh, iasw, Dumbo, and all of Animal Kingdom will be there the next time I do a full trip. I accomplished what I “needed” to and had plenty of time to do stuff I wanted to.

Incomudro

Oh I get it. 🙂

Disney very well may be doing everything that other poster is saying.
I am very comfortable with the fact you all know more on the topic than I will ever care to.

None of it is an excuse to start a fight. Period. Dot.
No one is excusing it.
That's the point you are failing to get.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I mean, this drama deserves an Oscar.
You really should take off your pixie glasses every once in awhile if you think that never happens or that Disney hasn’t made visiting their parks more difficult than in the past.

I get it though and I don’t fault you or anyone. I used to be all Disney is awesome, the best, and can do no wrong too, until I started going multiple times every year for many years and started to see and experience for myself what has really changed.

Many things are or have been trending the wrong direction whether we as Disney fans want to admit it or not. I’m saying this as a multiple contract DVC member and AP holder as well.

Last edited:

Incomudro

THIS IS a question.

How do you think most folks book a Disney trip??
Do you think those that do a bit of work are more satisfied with their vacations??
I just can't imagine and I totally accept that this maybe my character flaw, handing some one 5-10k and not knowing the basic stuff. Anywhere. Do people really hop on a plane with no clue where they're going to eat?? With children??
Again, I totally admit maybe it's me. Jeez my adult sons and I went to cancun mexico and we at least knew where we wanted to eat or where we could get a bite near our resort.

Do you think most people know that amusement parks are crowded??

I remember my first trip to wdw, I brought 3 guidebooks and talked to a few folks at my job who had been. Lol the most useful advice I got was from the people who hated it, I knew what to avoid.

Boy if I was planning a "once in a lifetime trip" I would definitely know how the parks work.
I promise you - some portion of people who go to the parks wind up there with little research and planning.
I don't know what that portion size is, but they certainly exist.
Also, even those of us that know the system, and plan our best get frustrated by the process.
Some portion of those people may lose it as well.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I promise you - some portion of people who go to the parks wind up there with little research and planning.
I don't know what that portion size is, but they certainly exist.
Also, even those of us that know the system, and plan our best get frustrated by the process.
Some portion of those people may lose it as well.
I know many tips and tricks to Disney and genie+ like most of us here do but these last few trips with the park reservation system, park hopping mess, and using genie+ have been my most frustrating and stressful trips I’ve ever been on. I know I’m not alone either because I’ve seen others saying it’s just become too much

lazyboy97o

Perhaps you were stressed because you had unrealistic expectations. I recently did a short 2 day add on to my Universal trip. My goals for this trip was simple, I wanted to do the Christmas stuff, ie the Christmas Party and Candlelight. I settled on doing a morning at DHS and the Party one day and an entire day at Epcot. Since the trip would be a Sun-Mon I stayed at a deluxe hotel to get EMH at Epcot Mon. The most stressful part was procuring a Candlelight reservation but I did. Had a great time, and during none of it did I stress out on missing something. Star Tours, Falcon, A:SS, Fantasmic, CoP, Mermaid, Pooh, iasw, Dumbo, and all of Animal Kingdom will be there the next time I do a full trip. I accomplished what I “needed” to and had plenty of time to do stuff I wanted to.
Of course people have high expectations. They’re not visiting with the regularity and familiarity that you have.

mysto

There are only a couple elements of a WDW trip left that can be planned, notably park reservations, your room reservations, and ADRs. i think the stress comes primarily from day-of complication, "friction", and fitting that into those few planned elements. Add in the cost and "I paid for what?".

I do think it's more stressful than it used to be, I agree with Incomundro that some won't handle it well. I also agree with the entitlement part that someone else mentioned which probably stems from the cost. As far as society, I think there have always been a few bad apples but the barrel is much bigger now so the smell of decay is hard to escape.

I've also noticed that everyone loves to make up rules, no one likes to enforce them. I think this policy will be used rarely.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I know many tips and tricks to Disney and genie+ like most of us here do but these last few trips with the park reservation system, park hopping mess, and using genie+ have been my most frustrating and stressful trips I’ve ever been on. I know I’m not alone either because I’ve seen others saying it’s just become too much
Yeah, our most recent trip (this past April) was our most frustrating.
Our last trip before that was 5 (hard to believe but partially due to covid) years ago.
Before that, our trips were annual, and were for 7 plus long in park stays at Beach Club, Caribbean Beach and Boardwalk.
Getting up before 7:00 am and looking at my phone in an attempt to snag rides was particularly annoying.
I'd hide in the bathroom and try not to wake up the rest of the family as I did it.
Our twin sons - 20 years old - unfortunately lost some of the magic and wonder that made long waits in line bearable in the past.
Where I was willing to hit "one more ride" of perhaps an hour or more wait, more than once they were done for the day.
Leaving the Swan at something like 6:30 am to speed walk down the path into Hollywood Studios to get on line for Rise of the Resistance was ridiculous as well.

Incomudro

If someone lacks the emotional maturity to appropriately react to a very minor annoyance without acting like trash, they should do the rest of us a favor and stay the hell home.
They should, but they don't.
Because they lack the emotional maturity to go through the decision process that leads them to a conclusion to stay home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom