Disney Posts Mixed Earnings $1.58/share on Rev of $14.24B

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Q3 FY17 earnings: Investors expecting $1.55/share (beat) and $14.43b revenue (miss).

Stock moving down around 3% after hours to ~$103/share.
  • Along with earnings, Walt Disney has announced it will take majority control of BAMTech
  • Disney will launch an ESPN-branded multi-sport streaming service early next year, along with a Disney-branded direct-to-consumer service in 2019.
  • It will pull its movies from Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX).
disney.png

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3286989-disney-taking-bamtech-launch-espn-disney-streaming-services

Last edited:

IanDLBZF

And according to this park attendance is up both domestically and internationally, while room nights are down due to resort refurbs and DVC conversions.
Operating income growth at our international operations was due to increases at Shanghai Disney Resort and Disneyland Paris. The increase at Shanghai Disney Resort reflected a full quarter of operations in the current year compared to the prior-year quarter, which included pre-opening costs. Higher operating income at Disneyland Paris was due to increases in guest spending and attendance, partially offset by higher costs for new guest offerings, including the 25th Anniversary celebration. The increase in guest spending was primarily due to higher average ticket prices and increases in food, beverage and merchandise spending. At our domestic operations, increased costs were essentially offset by increases in guest spending and volumes. Higher costs were primarily due to labor and other cost inflation, increased operations support costs, new guest offerings and the dry-dock of the Disney Fantasy in the current quarter. Costs for new guest offerings were driven by the launch of the expansion of Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort, including the related marketing costs. Guest spending growth was due to increases in average ticket prices for sailings on our cruise ships and admission to our theme parks, as well as higher average daily hotel room rates and food and beverage spending. Higher volumes were due to attendance growth, partially offset by a decrease in occupied room nights and lower passenger cruise days due to the dry-dock of the Disney Fantasy. The decrease in occupied room nights was due to refurbishments and conversions to vacation club units.
Source: https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q3-fy17-earnings.pdf

the.dreamfinder

It looks like Disney agrees with @the.dreamfinder and is gonna remove their movies from Netflix.
Thumbs up from me!
PayTV rights should now also go to the Disney Channel to boost viewership and leverage when negotiating with TV providers. Eventually introduce an HBO Now like service with the Disney Channel suite. BOOM!
EDIT: TWDC did good for once!

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Seeing alot of GP saying "Bye Disney", alot of them are not liking the idea of them dropping from Netflix, people like variety... I don't know if there's enough of a market to support a streaming service dedicated to one brand.
Should Disney be giving its seeds and water to help grow someone else's garden? Because Disney is doing everything right here. Only creating a DisneyPrime style service would be better.

lentesta

Premium Member
And according to this park attendance is up both domestically and internationally, while room nights are down due to resort refurbs and DVC conversions.

Source: https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q3-fy17-earnings.pdf

I'm suspicious that the domestic attendance increase was due to the discounted Disneyland tickets that were available 1/9 through 5/22.

Here's a chart that shows the year-over-year crowd level change (using our crowd scale) for Disneyland, accounting for the ride closures. I've put December '16 in for context.

unnamed.png

YoY attendance was basically flat in December '16 compared to December '15. Disneyland got a huge YoY spike in attendance in May 2017, the last month those discounted tickets were able to be used. (There was also a block-out in mid-April.) You can see the fall-off over the last 2 months.

In short, we think the ticket sale shifted Disneyland demand to earlier in the year. It hasn't increased attendance that much.

ETA: I could be wrong.

Ransom

Seeing alot of GP saying "Bye Disney", alot of them are not liking the idea of them dropping from Netflix, people like variety... I don't know if there's enough of a market to support a streaming service dedicated to one brand.

That seems to be the way things are going, for better or worse. Look at CBS and The CW, for instance.

Disney does have a strong portfolio of media, if they want to bundle it all together. Live action, animation, Disney Channel, Freeform...current, past...it's an enormous amount of stuff, and with the properties Iger has purchased, they have a pretty good product breadth as well that appeals to many different demographics.

I'm not saying it's a great thing, but it's the way things seem to be going, and I think Disney's well-positioned to capitalize on the trend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom