1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Posts Mixed Earnings $1.58/share on Rev of $14.24B

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Chef Mickey, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Chef Mickey

Chef Mickey Well-Known Member

Q3 FY17 earnings: Investors expecting $1.55/share (beat) and $14.43b revenue (miss).

Stock moving down around 3% after hours to ~$103/share.
    • Along with earnings, Walt Disney has announced it will take majority control of BAMTech
    • Disney will launch an ESPN-branded multi-sport streaming service early next year, along with a Disney-branded direct-to-consumer service in 2019.
    • It will pull its movies from Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX).
    [​IMG]
    https://seekingalpha.com/news/3286989-disney-taking-bamtech-launch-espn-disney-streaming-services

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. Laketravis

Laketravis Premium Member

You're fast :)

Parks was up substantially in both revenue (12%) and net operating (18%). Big drops in Cable and Media (23% drop in net operating) account for the revenue drag.

SorcererMC, WDWTank and ParentsOf4 like this.
  3. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

And according to this park attendance is up both domestically and internationally, while room nights are down due to resort refurbs and DVC conversions.
    Source: https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q3-fy17-earnings.pdf

4. Rodan75

Rodan75 Well-Known Member

It looks like Disney agrees with @the.dreamfinder and is gonna remove their movies from Netflix.

WDWTank, tcool123, David2319 and 6 others like this.
  5. Evan-500

Evan-500 Well-Known Member

Is this where we are discussing the call? I'm connected and listening.

vtag likes this.
  6. the.dreamfinder

the.dreamfinder Well-Known Member

Thumbs up from me!
    PayTV rights should now also go to the Disney Channel to boost viewership and leverage when negotiating with TV providers. Eventually introduce an HBO Now like service with the Disney Channel suite. BOOM!
    EDIT: TWDC did good for once!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  7. Herbie

Herbie Well-Known Member

For another service that we must pay for? Lovely.

HauntedPirate and BlindChow like this.
  8. SoManyWasps

SoManyWasps Active Member

I mean we don't have to pay for it. We will. But we don't have to.

Bairstow, tcool123, David2319 and 4 others like this.
  9. asianway

asianway Well-Known Member

I figured DLP would reflect a lift of "special event revenue" cc @drew81

10. Evan-500

Seeing alot of GP saying "Bye Disney", alot of them are not liking the idea of them dropping from Netflix, people like variety... I don't know if there's enough of a market to support a streaming service dedicated to one brand.

11. the.dreamfinder

Can you easily pause your cable tv service or pay less in exchange for buying a full year up front? Because those are the kinds of things Disney can do with this service.

BlindChow and dreamscometrue like this.
  12. the.dreamfinder

Should Disney be giving its seeds and water to help grow someone else's garden? Because Disney is doing everything right here. Only creating a DisneyPrime style service would be better.

RoyWalley likes this.
  13. the.dreamfinder

@Rodan75 , I believe I should share some of the credit with banned Disney analyst Rich Greenfield.

ford91exploder likes this.
  14. Evan-500

Bob just said will definitely include Disney/Pixar, unsure about Star Wars / Marvel. But all Disney/Pixar will be leaving other streaming sites.

Amidala and dreamscometrue like this.
  15. lentesta

lentesta Premium Member

I'm suspicious that the domestic attendance increase was due to the discounted Disneyland tickets that were available 1/9 through 5/22.

Here's a chart that shows the year-over-year crowd level change (using our crowd scale) for Disneyland, accounting for the ride closures. I've put December '16 in for context.

unnamed.png

YoY attendance was basically flat in December '16 compared to December '15. Disneyland got a huge YoY spike in attendance in May 2017, the last month those discounted tickets were able to be used. (There was also a block-out in mid-April.) You can see the fall-off over the last 2 months.

In short, we think the ticket sale shifted Disneyland demand to earlier in the year. It hasn't increased attendance that much.

ETA: I could be wrong.

16. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

That seems to be the way things are going, for better or worse. Look at CBS and The CW, for instance.

Disney does have a strong portfolio of media, if they want to bundle it all together. Live action, animation, Disney Channel, Freeform...current, past...it's an enormous amount of stuff, and with the properties Iger has purchased, they have a pretty good product breadth as well that appeals to many different demographics.

I'm not saying it's a great thing, but it's the way things seem to be going, and I think Disney's well-positioned to capitalize on the trend.

17. willtravel

willtravel Well-Known Member

I guess that explains why Netflix announced yesterday they are acquiring Millarworld publishing house.

brb1006 and Ransom like this.
  18. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

The rift is probably because Netflix offered them a free monorail. That's what I heard, anyway.

19. the.dreamfinder

Netflix was always going to kick producers like Marvel or Dreamworks Animation out of the car once they were proficient in creating their own shows and films. They're leaving before they can get kicked out.

20. Bolt

Bolt Well-Known Member

To be fair - Netflix only carried like 4 animated movies, which I watched in the first week. Always wanted more content, similar to what you get in a stateroom on Disney Cruise Line.