Disney Posts Mixed Earnings $1.58/share on Rev of $14.24B

EricsBiscuit

This is good news for parks fans. Hopefully TWDC spins off ESPN and ABC and uses the money to shore up the parks and movies segments. Never gonna happen but whatever. Anyway, they said that they will invest lots of money on original content for the new streaming application. Hopefully they see the light and invest more in the parks!

willtravel

I am not happy with Netflix, even with Disney agreement. I would rather they had kept Paramount contract. I personally don't care for Netflix solely produced content and everything else shown are old tv shows and movies I can see on cable or never heard of or want to watch. Looking to leave Netflix by years end (gotta watch ending of Longmire).

SoManyWasps

This is good news for parks fans. Hopefully TWDC spins off ESPN and ABC and uses the money to shore up the parks and movies segments. Never gonna happen but whatever. Anyway, they said that they will invest lots of money on original content for the new streaming application. Hopefully they see the light and invest more in the parks!
ABC and ESPN aren't going anywhere. Ratings and revenue have been on a steady downward trend, but advertisers have been reticent to embrace digital content in the ways a lot of forecasters were predicting they would, and that bodes well for the networks. ABC and ESPN are so going to have very important roles in the Disney family over the next few years, though not as the important as they were in the 90s.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Q3 FY17 earnings: Investors expecting $1.55/share (beat) and $14.43b revenue (miss).

Stock moving down around 3% after hours to ~$103/share.
  • Along with earnings, Walt Disney has announced it will take majority control of BAMTech
  • Disney will launch an ESPN-branded multi-sport streaming service early next year, along with a Disney-branded direct-to-consumer service in 2019.
  • It will pull its movies from Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX).
disney.png

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3286989-disney-taking-bamtech-launch-espn-disney-streaming-services

2019 WHATINTHEHELL is Bob smoking he needs a streaming platform immediately if not sooner!!!!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney CFO Christine M. McCarthy: "Our management team at the parks is committed to increasing margin."

LOL!!

How about being committed to providing amazing experiences for guests? I know she was responding to a question, but wow.

What was the question? She is also the CFO...lol

But..committed to increasing margin and committed to providing amazing experiences don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
What was the question? She is also the CFO...lol

But..committed to increasing margin and committed to providing amazing experiences don't have to be mutually exclusive.
The analyst basically asked if the continuation of margin expansion at the parks defying gravity will ever come to an end? She said she they are committed to margin expansion and will continue to look for ways to do it.

jakeman

I sure hope their planned ESPN branded streaming service performs better than WDW's web site.
The platform (assuming it's the same, why reinvite the wheel?) would most likely be BAMTech, which has gotten better year over year with MLB. In fact, I use it almost nightly during the regular season and I haven't had any issues this year that couldn't be chalked up to my ISP.

Laketravis

The platform (assuming it's the same, why reinvite the wheel?) would most likely be BAMTech, which has gotten better year over year with MLB. In fact, I use it almost nightly during the regular season and I haven't had any issues this year that couldn't be chalked up to my ISP.

Hope so. My first thought when I heard of ESPN streaming was AT&T's DirecTV Now roll out late last year. I was an early adopter and it literally sucked. Plagued with issues. They've cleaned it up immensely since then but those black eyes can take time to heal and AT&T has the resources to quickly address issues that can sink any new offering.

Netflix was always going to kick producers like Marvel or Dreamworks Animation out of the car once they were proficient in creating their own shows and films. They're leaving before they can get kicked out.

This makes me wonder what the future of Marvel-produced-for-Netflix shows such as Daredevil will be though. For the most part those shows have been critically successful, and the highly anticipated "Defenders" crossover series debuts next Friday....

jakeman

Hope so. My first thought when I heard of ESPN streaming was AT&T's DirecTV Now roll out late last year. I was an early adopter and it literally sucked. Plagued with issues. They've cleaned it up immensely since then but those black eyes can take time to heal and AT&T has the resources to quickly address issues that can sink any new offering.
I don't know anything about tech, but I would assume maybe since it's the same technology used by the MLB and NHL (I think) that putting a World of Poker overlay (or whatever nonsense ESPN will use it for) wouldn't be that hard.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney CFO Christine M. McCarthy: "Our management team at the parks is committed to increasing margin."

LOL!!

How about being committed to providing amazing experiences for guests? I know she was responding to a question, but wow.

Now there was a freudian slip of epic proportions, In short the cuts and price increases will continue

No mention of creating amazing new experiences rather just give people more reason not to go to a Disney owned park

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom