Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

GLaDOS

It's about the same size as California Adventure. I think there are a lot of creative ways they could insulate a non contiguous site. Perhaps they could transport visitors into the park from City Walk with a simple cable car system like they are using for the Hogwarts Express. The journey into the park could be part of the theming and excitement of it. In any case if and when they are ready to build a third park I'm sure they will find a way.

If/When they build a third park, they'll want resorts surrounding it and other amenities. More land will be purchased for this park. Also, I have doubts the Wet and Wild area will be used for a park

FigmentJedi

A well-executed Third Gate at Universal Orlando completely changes the theme park dynamics in Orlando.

A Third Gate turns Universal into its own one-stop vacation destination. Vacationers will comparison shop and will view multiple days at the ever-improving Universal as a lower-cost, better-value proposition to WDW's overpriced hotels and stagnant theme parks.

If Disney doesn't step up its game, WDW will become the place where small children and Disneyphiles go. Most of the remaining market will be vacationing at an expanded Universal.

If Disney's executive management continues to sit around with their heads buried in the sand, the business is going to go in a direction they won't like. Seven (eight if you want to include SeaWorld) theme parks will be too many for vacationers to do in a single week (the American standard). Considering that 80% of WDW's market is domestic, most vacationers are going to end up deciding between 3 theme parks with new offerings versus 4 theme parks with decades-old offerings. In such a head-to-head battle, WDW will lose a boatload of revenue in Orlando.

It's time to move beyond the MyMagic+ disappointment and start planning for the future. Pandora and a value-sized Star Wars Land ain't gonna cut it.

Disney needs to start investing, and start investing big at WDW.
Yes. If Universal building a third gate doesn't wake up the sleeping giant, there's gonna be a lot of new jobs available at TDO shortly after it would open.

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
That parcel is about half the size of either of the existing parks...
Would a single "Lord of the Rings/Hobbit theme park work with that space. A smaller park yes, but one themed with amazing "Disney Sea" detail.
You have 5 Hobbit/Rings films in the top 35 all time world wide. There is a sizable built in audience.
Not saying it would be a Tolkien park...that is purely speculation on my park and I'm just using it as an example of what might go into land that small.

If Disney just did a Star Wars themed park...would it fit into a land that size?

twebber55

Would a single "Lord of the Rings/Hobbit theme park work with that space. A smaller park yes, but one themed with amazing "Disney Sea" detail.
You have 5 Hobbit/Rings films in the top 35 all time world wide. There is a sizable built in audience.
Not saying it would be a Tolkien park...that is purely speculation on my park and I'm just using it as an example of what might go into land that small.

If Disney just did a Star Wars themed park...would it fit into a land that size?
im not a fan of a single IP and its own theme park...to me it s not like if I build an entire theme park to star wars it means I get more star wars fans if I instead build a large land in DHS....diversifying your IPs in parks will get more people, along with building quality stuff

ABQ

From Orlando United. Does this mean anything to you guys?

Universal Expansion Plan?

Key notes to land use,

Over 3 Million Sq Ft of Retail Space
Over 10,000 Hotel Rooms
Nearly 7,000 Time Share Units (Think DVC)
Attraction Space of 300 Acres
36 Holes of Golf
Partnership with Rosen College to include 1000 students and over 400 Sleeping Quarters

This is public information...
Original Documents

Public Hearings Universal Boulevard and Pavilion at Sand Lake.pptx

http://www.occompt.com/attachments/a...704/2013-04-30

Focus on Pages 88-101

http://www.ocfl.net/DesktopModules/O...umeotcnID=3392
I bold faced the peculiar part and ask for anyone to chime in about this. I've abstained from joining any of the WDW vs UNI discussions as they tend to go nowhere quickly, but one thing pretty common on these boards is a distaste for DVC. If the data @CinematicFusion posted here truly is all or part or correct in some way to be Uni's plan, would those that dislike WDW for going crazy in DVC construction be adverse to Uni doing the same? It would appear that Uni's long term plan would be to become what WDW is today? At least kinda sorta? Uni would be the WDW of 1980 at this time, blowing up in size, making amazing attractions and now planning to make all the on site hotel space to support the growth. I suppose I'll be too old and long dead before it happens, but will Uni just become a stagnated place resting on its laurels from 2014 in 35 years time?

Soarin' Over Pgh

It's about the same size as California Adventure. I think there are a lot of creative ways they could insulate a non contiguous site. Perhaps they could transport visitors into the park from City Walk with a simple cable car system like they are using for the Hogwarts Express. The journey into the park could be part of the theming and excitement of it. In any case if and when they are ready to build a third park I'm sure they will find a way.

A continuous, slow moving PeopleMover would be an awesome and entertaining way to move guests from Point A to Point B.

GLaDOS

I bold faced the peculiar part and ask for anyone to chime in about this. I've abstained from joining any of the WDW vs UNI discussions as they tend to go nowhere quickly, but one thing pretty common on these boards is a distaste for DVC. If the data @CinematicFusion posted here truly is all or part or correct in some way to be Uni's plan, would those that dislike WDW for going crazy in DVC construction be adverse to Uni doing the same? It would appear that Uni's long term plan would be to become what WDW is today? At least kinda sorta? Uni would be the WDW of 1980 at this time, blowing up in size, making amazing attractions and now planning to make all the on site hotel space to support the growth. I suppose I'll be too old and long dead before it happens, but will Uni just become a stagnated place resting on its laurels from 2014 in 35 years time?

The current pace Universal is on is never going to be infinite. Eventually, they will slow down. Now, there is a difference between slowing down and what Disney has done in the past 15-20 years, which is chip away at the small touches that made their resort what it was. We have no way of knowing what Universal will do once their resort is "complete" until we get to that time. A lot of things can happen in the span of one year, let alone 20-30.

jt04

Brilliant idea for the cable car. Hogwarts Express has changed everything. It is a revolutionary step forward and relatively easy and inexpensive to engineer.

More please. Every theme park executive should be studying ways to implement similar tech. IMO.

Mike S

What some have already said but only brushed over is that Universal is planning a third gate. I'm not talking about the waterpark, although that is looking to be quite spectacular in terms of waterparks and may be the first waterpark/theme park hybrid. No I'm talking about a no-holds-barred, DisneySea quality level third gate theme park. Trust me I don't use the term "DisneySea quality" lightly. Right now the resources are planned to allow that level of quality and detail. Yes I'm fully expecting that the final execution will not be as spectacular as it looks to be now by the time it goes through final budget/schedule/construction blunders, but if we end up with a full park on the level of Diagon for example, the gap between Disney and Universal will be significantly reduced.
The only reason I have come out and mentioned the third gate is because others have already done so. The last thing I want to do is jeopardize these plans and reveal something that could be potentially harmful. For that reason, among others, I can't reveal any more than what I already have.
Thank you for sharing what you could. I've always wanted to go to DisneySea ever since I found out about it, I would be beyond thrilled if Universal's third park in Orlando is built to the same level of detail.

seascape

I dont thik they will be buying Lockheed Martin’s land. According to the Sunshine State News.

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/blog/lockheed-martin-expanding-orlando
Lockheed Martin Expanding in Orlando

By: Allison Nielsen | Posted: March 26, 2014 2:45 PM

Gov. Rick Rick Scott announced Wednesday that Lockheed Martin’s mission systems and training facility in Orlando will be expanding, bringing up to 200 jobs and a capital investment of approximately $80 million.

The company currently employs nearly 7,000 in Orlando and is expanding the location due to a corporation-wide consolidation. Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services.

The company is currently the largest industrial employer in Florida, with a workforce of nearly 11,000 employees across the state.

“This expansion of Lockheed Martin is great news for Florida families in Orlando," began Scott. "Florida has proven to be the perfect business climate for companies like Lockheed Martin. Since December 2010, Florida businesses have created more than 503,500 private-sector jobs. Let’s keep working to create an opportunity economy that will create jobs for future generations.”

“Lockheed Martin’s mission systems and training facility in Orlando will add great value to Florida’s extensive aviation and aerospace sector, " said Gray Swoope, president and CEO of Enterprise Florida. "Lockheed Martin is a world leader in the industry and has created thousands of employment opportunities and millions in economic impact in the state for more than 58 years. They are a great community partner and we look forward to seeing their continued legacy of success in the Sunshine

DC0703

A 3rd gate that could potentially have LOTR, Nintendo, Star Trek... the list goes on ;)

Wow, a LOTR themed park would have me there in a second!

Also of note, Universal is the one releasing the World of Warcraft movie. They could do some pretty crazy things with that IP in a park.

Actually, a park themed after video game franchises would be something completely new and unique with a huge fanbase... especially among older kids...

ABQ

Also of note, Universal is the one releasing the World of Warcraft movie. They could do some pretty crazy things with that IP in a park.

Actually, a park themed after video game franchises would be something completely new and unique with a huge fanbase... especially among older kids...
Felicia Day's not in the cast? Screw that WoW movie. :p

Penelope

The answer: Go back to being Disney.

Go back to being a complete resort and the best at everything they do. Yes, add a Star Wars land. And add new things.

But most of all, the be best at what they do. Go back to five-star service without cutting corners at every turn. Go back to having the reputation that they never have a light bulb out of place. Go back to having amazing food and resorts that take us to a different place. Update EPCOT. Produce shows again, like MMC or even new shows, at Hollywood Studios. [Universal makes "Family Feud" at their studio in Florida.] Produce television (like Walt) live from the park, even maybe an "Inside/Out" type of show on The Disney Channel, but even other shows.

So, yes, add new things like Star Wars land; but most of all, go back to being the best at what they do, and show it to people with enthusiasm.

To me this is the bigger problem than Potter going to Universal. For our family, the entire experience and ambience that Disney does so well (and I still think is better than Universal although I haven't seen Potter's addition yet) brings you back and makes Universal a "maybe" addition to the trip. But our last visit we noticed a decline in the quality and don't even get me started on the erosion of the fine dining experience thanks to the dining plan. We endured basically sitting in the family next to our table's lap at Chefs Le France, which in the 1990s never would have happened as the seating was less crammed, only halfway through the meal to endure their son vomiting everywhere and a mass cleanup which consisted of me trying to eat my entree with a bucket 4 inches from my foot…no apologies for our ruined dining experience mind you. I keep hoping Disney will bring the fine touches back, they WERE the best at them in their heyday.

PrincessNelly_NJ

To me this is the bigger problem than Potter going to Universal. For our family, the entire experience and ambience that Disney does so well (and I still think is better than Universal although I haven't seen Potter's addition yet) brings you back and makes Universal a "maybe" addition to the trip. But our last visit we noticed a decline in the quality and don't even get me started on the erosion of the fine dining experience thanks to the dining plan. We endured basically sitting in the family next to our table's lap at Chefs Le France, which in the 1990s never would have happened as the seating was less crammed, only halfway through the meal to endure their son vomiting everywhere and a mass cleanup which consisted of me trying to eat my entree with a bucket 4 inches from my foot…no apologies for our ruined dining experience mind you. I keep hoping Disney will bring the fine touches back, they WERE the best at them in their heyday.
:depressed: ewww... I really shouldn't have read that.

mahnamahna101

It could be a fairly large draw if they use the right franchises (not sure if Sega, Microsoft, Namco, Capcom, Konami, and Nintendo would all agree to have their games appear in a single theme park).

A Nintendo theme would have the most mainstream appeal while you could potentially put WoW and LOTR in there as well.

WoW + LOTR + Mario + Pokemon + Zelda=must-see 3rd gate for me!

It would work since USF is movies/TV, while IOA is literature... helps differentiate.

Also, a genre/niche styled 3rd gate could work since ComicCon, MegaCon, geek culture, etc. is becoming more and more mainstream with each passing year. Maybe something like MK-style parks (Universal's variant could be a more thrills-based edition)?

Or something completely original. I would expect Universal to shoot for a unique, immersive design that provide the transformational experience that Potter does... but through the entire park.

Video games are the next frontier of IPs for attractions... and if Universal gets their hands on Nintendo, that would be Disney's biggest mistake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom