Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

Bocabear

But where would they even put a third gate? They are absolutely shoehorned into that space...There are even apartments built right up against Men In Black and Gringotts... If you look at it on Google Earth they are completely out of property large enough for a full theme park...Unless they tear down one of their resort properties....Or it is a tiny third gate...

GLaDOS

But where would they even put a third gate? They are absolutely shoehorned into that space...There are even apartments built right up against Men In Black and Gringotts... If you look at it on Google Earth they are completely out of property large enough for a full theme park...Unless they tear down one of their resort properties....Or it is a tiny third gate...

Land can/has/will be purchased.

Bocabear

It is also hemmed in by roads....Which can't be bought or rerouted... And of course you would want everything to connect through the Citywalk area... Only option I can see is to take all the backstage are between the two theme parks and there may be enough room... entering the new park Where Hard Rock Live currently sits at Citywalk...Create another bridge top the entrance, and the new park would take up all the land in back of the Studios and Cast member parking...

startraveler

The only reason I have come out and mentioned the third gate is because others have already done so. The last thing I want to do is jeopardize these plans and reveal something that could be potentially harmful. For that reason, among others, I can't reveal any more than what I already have.
That's cool. Don't do anything you shouldn't. :) thanks for the " hope" for the future.

GLaDOS

It is also hemmed in by roads....Which can't be bought or rerouted... And of course you would want everything to connect through the Citywalk area... Only option I can see is to take all the backstage are between the two theme parks and there may be enough room... entering the new park Where Hard Rock Live currently sits at Citywalk...Create another bridge top the entrance, and the new park would take up all the land in back of the Studios and Cast member parking...

The new park will reportedly be in a new location, connected by some sort of monorail-type transportation system.

ParentsOf4

A well-executed Third Gate at Universal Orlando completely changes the theme park dynamics in Orlando.

A Third Gate turns Universal into its own one-stop vacation destination. Vacationers will comparison shop and will view multiple days at the ever-improving Universal as a lower-cost, better-value proposition to WDW's overpriced hotels and stagnant theme parks.

If Disney doesn't step up its game, WDW will become the place where small children and Disneyphiles go. Most of the remaining market will be vacationing at an expanded Universal.

If Disney's executive management continues to sit around with their heads buried in the sand, the business is going to go in a direction they won't like. Seven (eight if you want to include SeaWorld) theme parks will be too many for vacationers to do in a single week (the American standard). Considering that 80% of WDW's market is domestic, most vacationers are going to end up deciding between 3 theme parks with new offerings versus 4 theme parks with decades-old offerings. In such a head-to-head battle, WDW will lose a boatload of revenue in Orlando.

It's time to move beyond the MyMagic+ disappointment and start planning for the future. Pandora and a value-sized Star Wars Land ain't gonna cut it.

Disney needs to start investing, and start investing big at WDW.

Padraig

Taken for Parkscope

The Wet N' Wild area with surrounds land...

http://www.parkscope.net/2013/06/universal-acquires-wet-and-wild-in-full.html

wetnwildpropmap.jpg

IIRC there is also a second, very significant expansion south of IOA.

s8film40

As for a third gate, if the rumors circulating about the new water park near Cabana Bay have any truth to them this could free up all the Wet N Wild land for a third park.

Bocabear

And yes they would need it to be more insulated...and they would need to use their existing infrastructure I would think...Funnel all guests through Citywalk... Connectivity with their resorts Monorail or not...

Padraig

As for a third gate, if the rumors circulating about the new water park near Cabana Bay have any truth to them this could free up all the Wet N Wild land for a third park.

Apparently that'll be the new water park "Wonder Sea", the third gate will be in the other region.

tl77

Umm I don't think thats how it works. Those people who park hop multiple times to MK during a week count each time as one visitor. So one person can be counted as many times as the walk through MK turnstiles on separate days (If they went to MK twice in one day only counts as one visit but if they came on Monday then again on Tuesday thats two visits). Its not unique visitors, its the number of times someone stepped into that park. Secondly, more locals have Universal APs than Disney so they also would be walking and adding lots of visits to Universal. So those numbers are very much skewed in my opinion.

They compensate for this, there statistic report would be useless with out it

tl77

First you cannot make up numbers to try to prove your point. Get real numbers, get evidence, get proof them come back and make your point.

Something you forgot to include, how many people didn't go to Universal last year cause they knew Potter 2.0 was coming this year? Kind of tosses your made up argument into the shredder. Maybe those people went to Disney last year instead, and now this year or next will visit Universal.

Harry Potter accounts for about 5million tickets at IoA in 2013, WDW sold about 50million tickets total in 2013

5 is 10% 0f 50, and this is about a 5th grade level math equation

s8film40

They'd need more than that. And if I had to guess, they'd want the park to be more insulated than being plopped down in that area of International Drive.
It's about the same size as California Adventure. I think there are a lot of creative ways they could insulate a non contiguous site. Perhaps they could transport visitors into the park from City Walk with a simple cable car system like they are using for the Hogwarts Express. The journey into the park could be part of the theming and excitement of it. In any case if and when they are ready to build a third park I'm sure they will find a way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom