News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Once their current parks are saturated, it would make sense to build a new park at each resort years from now. I've never said this thing is starting tomorrow. That's especially true for WDW, but it applies to Disneyland as well. It's post-current-wave-of-expansions.
Actually it will never make sense to build a traditional “fifth gate” in Orlando. It’s not a matter of time, age or “saturation”…it’s society.

Two important concepts:
1. Park Cannibalism
2. The “Seven Day Wall”

You know where they know this?

It’s not economically viable

PREMiERdrum

Isn't LA always heavily concerned with water

Actually it will never make sense to build a traditional “fifth gate” in Orlando. It’s not a matter of time, age or “saturation”…it’s society.

Two important concepts:
1. Park Cannibalism
2. The “Seven Day Wall”

You know where they know this?

It’s not economically viable
Remember the pre-recession "Boutique WDW Park" rumors? Good times, good times.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Remember the pre-recession "Boutique WDW Park" rumors? Good times, good times.
Yeah…those kicked around for decades

Two words: discovery cove

If anything…now that they’ve kinda abandoned water parks…that’s what you’d see

We’ve scene hints of it over time. Notably the backstage safaris at DAK

and…of course…the galactic dumpster.
Which was a disaster on multiple planes.

Eric Graham

Yeah…those kicked around for decades

Two words: discovery cove

If anything…now that they’ve kinda abandoned water parks…that’s what you’d see

We’ve scene hints of it over time. Notably the backstage safaris at DAK

and…of course…the galactic dumpster.
Which was a disaster on multiple planes.
Discovery Cove is pretty awesome...what's wrong with Discovery Cove?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Discovery Cove is pretty awesome...what's wrong with Discovery Cove?

Discovery Cove is awesome.

Disney has yet to find the map or motivation to adapt and scale the boutique model to work for them.
Discovery Cove is what made ole Mike REALLY want a boutique…but his time (which was my time) had ended.

For some reason - they’ve never been able to really commit to a concept.
I mean - the parks function/profit off mass consumption - that is a fact…so they never probalcy wanted to take on overhead for something that could not be run that way…

But it’s not something they couldn’t succeed with if they are intelligent about it.

But this management is NOT intelligent about Orlando. It’s why they are stuck with a competitor gaining ground

PREMiERdrum

Discovery Cove is what made ole Mike REALLY want a boutique…but his time (which was my time) had ended.

For some reason - they’ve never been able to really commit to a concept.
I mean - the parks function/profit off mass consumption - that is a fact…so they never probalcy wanted to take on overhead for something that could not be run that way…

But it’s not something they couldn’t succeed with if they are intelligent about it.

But this management is NOT intelligent about Orlando. It’s why they are stuck with a competitor gaining ground
Starcruiser is as close as they've gotten, and we know how that went.

For a creative company, they've struggled for decades to balance creative innovation with business practicalities. Aside from solid handling of DCL, they've swung too far in one direction or the other with every move.

James Alucobond

I feel they had a choice between

1) Luxury priced SW original trilogy experience
2) More modestly priced SW new trilogy experience

And somehow they took the two more limiting aspects of both and went with that.
The original trilogy would not have saved it. The market for a locked-down faux cruise of mono-themed dinner theater and/or LARPing while the world’s premier theme parks sit inaccessible mere yards away is (shocker!) just not that big.

MagicHappens1971

The original trilogy would not have saved it. The market for a locked-down faux cruise of mono-themed dinner theater and/or LARPing while the world’s premier theme parks sit inaccessible mere yards away is (shocker!) just not that big.
inaccessible is dramatic, you spent majority of the second day (of the 2 night experience) at DHS

James Alucobond

inaccessible is dramatic, you spent majority of the second day (of the 2 night experience) at DHS
Perhaps I’m somewhat biased against DHS, but for the higher-than-normal price, it doesn’t feel like an effective use of my time in Disney World. I’m not saying there’s not a subset of the population that really enjoys it, just that I think the format is a bigger hurdle for most people than the precise subject matter. There wouldn’t suddenly be significantly more people flocking to it for the OT.

MagicHappens1971

Perhaps I’m somewhat biased against DHS, but for the higher-than-normal price, it doesn’t feel like an effective use of my time in Disney World. I’m not saying there’s not a subset of the population that really enjoys it, just that I think the format is a bigger hurdle for most people than the precise subject matter. There wouldn’t suddenly be significantly more people flocking to it for the OT.
I understand what you’re saying, but this is also a portion of the issue, people who say “but the parks” have a serious misunderstanding of the experience. It wasn’t a hotel. It was a 46 hour “cruise”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom