News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I've never heard mention of these plans. What were they and what time frame were they in?
The parks plans have existed for a while (again, pre-COVID), but it's so far off right now that the plans are obviously fluid, but it is the long-term plan. Even some of the stuff I've mentioned could be swapped for some new IP of the day and isn't a guarantee, but the funding allotment in theory for all of this is there, and a lot of what I've said will more than likely make its way as D23 announcements, but obviously not new theme parks.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Animal Kingdom: Indiana Jones Adventure, Encanto dark ride, Central American animals throughout the land Tropical America’s replacing Dinoland AND a Lion King ride for Africa, Zootopia show replacing “It’s tough to be a bug,” and a new night show with more fountains and drones.

Magic Kingdom:
Site work to begin shortly for what amounts to a Frontierland expansion and a new Villains Land the size of Galaxy’s Edge. Additionally, the Moana boat ride originally slated for Animal Kingdom will go in Adventureland between Pirates and Jungle Cruise. Tomorrowland Speedway will be different. Big Thunder Mountain receives an update. Stitch will not be in its current state for much longer. New Night Parade.

Epcot: Test Track redo opens summer of 2025, The Spaceship Earth update will likely be announced and will start once Test Track comes back online. I’d expect to hear one more announcement for EPCOT. Keep a close eye on the Figment project on Disney Plus. I've heard Inside Out.

Hollywood Studios: New land to replace Launch Bay. Rock n’ Rollercoaster retheme as well. Falcon mission update.

Disneyland Resort: New, unique Avatar land using the Shanghai pirates boat technology at DLR. PeopleMover comes back in a new way at Disneyland Park alongside significant changes to the land. Hollywoodland will go away. A Disney Springs-esque shopping district will be officially announced alongside plans for a new transit configuration for the resort. The Avenger’s E-ticket gets an actual announcement.

Walt Disney Studios:
Gets its own Avatar land and a Lion King land. Other misc. project in the existing part of the park.

Disneyland Parc Paris:
A larger than Soarin’ sum, so perhaps Soarin’/Soaring 2.0, Indiana Jones Adventure, or even a new version of Rise of the Resistance. I’d fully expect either a new land or two new rides including an E-ticket in total. Space Mountain will be back at DLP!

Shanghai:
New Marvel Land, Toy Story Mania as well.

Hong Kong will get an E-ticket in Tomorrowland still.

Plans can still change, but most of this should be announced by or at D23, some of this is long-term, though and might not be included.
Does this count as fan fiction or slash fiction?

Advisable Joseph

They've existed for a while (again, pre-COVID), but it's so far off right now that the plans are obviously fluid, but it is the plan. Even some of the stuff I've mentioned could be swapped for some new IP of the day and isn't a guarantee, but the funding allotment in theory is there, and a lot of what I've said will more than likely make its way as D23 announcements.

I think he's asking about plans for a fifth park?o_O

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, I've said before, that they exist for DLR and WDW, but they won't be put in motion until this current era of expansion winds down which is a long ways away.
You dodged my previous question…so I’ll repost:
Do you know why I’m saying that? It has nothing to do with budgets or staffing…or even Disney for that matter.

Tell me how the typical American family will take in this 5th park in a way that will be advantageous for the Walt Disney Company?

This is a discussion board…we muse…but it’s important we recognize certain things

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
You dodged my previous question…so I’ll repost:

This is a discussion board…we muse…but it’s important we recognize certain things
Once their current parks are saturated, it would make sense to build a new park at each resort years from now. I've never said this thing is starting tomorrow. That's especially true for WDW, but it applies to Disneyland as well. It's post-current-wave-of-expansions.
View attachment 777433
While I don’t think Disney will be building a new park at WDW for at least 15-20 years, they do seem to intend to build one at DLR soon.

These are the “hypothetical plans” they submitted to the city of Anaheim and were approved. You can find out more about it on disneylandforward.com
DLR's potential third gate likely wouldn't connect to the existing parks, much like Epic in Orlando won't. A water park isn't out of the realm of possibilities, though, but I haven't seen specific plans.

This would be incredibly, incredibly unprecedented. All second gate additions have resulted in about a decade for their primary parks to recover their previous attendance peaks.

I’m just trying to set expectations that USF attendance declines are expected and totally fine. The resort will gain 25%-ish attendance year one and then slow roll the other 25% over the next 5-10 years.

I expect Epic will be incredibly popular, but half at the expense of the other two parks and the other half organic length of stay or new customers for the resort.
Universal fully expects to take an attendance hit at USF and Animal Kingdom absolutely will too. The jury is still out on Hollywood and Islands, but they definitely won't be anywhere as bad.

PREMiERdrum

Before this spirals any further...

While multiple plans do exist for additional parks at both domestic properties, a 5th gate in FL is nearly an impossibility without radical changes to their forecasting, a 180° pivot in leadership, and explosive economic growth. The law of diminishing returns is weighing heavy here.

In Anaheim it's more than a pipesdream, but not by much. I agree that a Waterpark is more likely than anything else here.

With that said, I expect the next new domestic gate - assuming we get one - will be at neither existing development.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom