News Disney plans to accelerate Parks investment to $60 billion over 10 years

Jambo Dad

Yes- a 1000 acres at our disposal and a rich IP … and no one left with the talent to do anything interesting with any of it. I also second the thought that these statements don’t cost Iger anything. Well maybe credibility.

JoeCamel

Rut Roh Bob, time for another interview......

desktop.png

Andrew25

Replacements haven’t been proven to be an effective strategy
Obviously depends on the replacement, lots of failures/poor concepts in the past, but there have been successful implementations so far.
  • Beauty & the Beast Singalong sharing same theater as Impressions de France is driving far more people into it than before
  • Frozen is far more popular than Maelstrom (and I say this as someone who prefers Maelstrom)
  • Frozen Singalong replacing American Idol
  • Pixar Pier maybe caused DCA to lose its unifying theme, but honestly the average guest can care less and is probably driving more people back there and generating more revenue for $DIS
  • Hagrid replaced Dueling Dragons, far more successful
It's not the only strategy, but there are lots of places the parks can improve on before they start expanding.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The “7 new lands” quote means absolutely nothing. They could build much more than that if they wanted to. Iger doesn’t understand the theme park business and he doesn’t want to. He’s just another elitist who looks down on theme parks.

He absolutely knows what he’s saying and doing. It got the headlines he wanted without any commitment whatsoever in terms of details, timetable, or geography.

Much like the $60 billion number.

You both are right

DisneyDean97

With the exception of DAK/DHS, the other parks really doesn't need to expand its footprint currently, rather gut or utilize the space more efficiently.

Magic Kingdom
  • Hall of Presidents is a 700-seat capacity theater in the middle of the park... prime real estate for something more popular
  • Country Bear Jamboree (if it's a success, I'd be cautious about all the other continuous running theaters at the parks)
  • Tiki Room (I don't want them to touch this, it's my favorite attraction at MK), but I'd be lying to myself if it's not in someone's idea plan to make it more appealing to most guests
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Stitch
Epcot
  • Awesome Planet
  • Imagination Theater
  • Figment
  • Gran Fiesta Tour
  • China 360*
  • Canada 360*
  • Mission: Space
  • Wonders of Life
  • Something more permanent at Odyssey? I'd imagine once the remaining 25% of Epcot's hub reopens, it'll allow them to move some festival stuff there.
*I think running a more child-friendly (IP filled) option during the day like the Beauty and Beast singalong would do well, and then return to normal show later in the day.

Hollywood Studios
  • All of Animation Courtyard
  • If they can get 2 high-capacity attractions into the park, I think they can then phase in heavy refurbs for a few of the E-tickets suffering downtime daily

Animal Kingdom
  • Only park to benefit from actual expansion (due to lack of attractions), outside of replacing the Bird Show with something good and River of Light amphitheater.
Wouldn't want them to touch Hall of Presidents, its one of the only unique things Magic Kingdom has... and the idea for the attraction came straight from Walt himself, it's a great love letter to America and really shows the affection Walt had for the country, would be a shame to lose it.

EPCOT-O.G.

Ok i’m a relative newbie here. Who is Scott Gustin and why should I believe him when he says that’s what Bob was talking about? Did Bob clarify or correct his statement? Did Scott talk to him? Or is is just Scott’s impression?
He’s a “friendly” media person that gets advance notice of news to come and is ready to hit send once it’s ready to drop.

Parkatm

There we go…

1 Hong Kong, 2 Shanghai, 1 Paris, 2 WDW, 1 California?

Why not :
1 California : Pandora
2 WDW : Latin America and a new land in MK
1 Shanghai : Pandora ?
and 3 Paris 😛 : TLK, SW and Pandora

The reasons being: TLK is a heavy rumor as the 3rd land for the on-going extension that was supposed (indicated in the public files) bring the park from 1/2 of a park to 3/4 of a park. Pandora is a serious rumor for what is coming next to the WDS and would be necessary to boost this 3/4 to a full park experience.
As for DLP, no new attraction since 2006 and heavy rumor on Star Wars Land at the back of Discoveryland.

Except this one guess on Shanghai based on what Iger said about the possibility to build an Avatar land in Asia, all are credible rumors and the total makes 7 lands. If I would be less greedy for Paris and would admit that this 3rd Pandora land is probably farer, i would say 1 California, 2 WDW, 2 Paris and 2 in Asia. Only 1 in Paris doesn't seem realistic.

Animaniac93-98

Personally, I'm suffering from Disney announcement fatigue at this point.

They announce things all the time, but their odds of being completed have not been so great.

Or if something is announced it takes forever to complete, and/or the end result is much ado about nothing.

Even small things like the Pirates Bar in Adventureland. Announced last year. What have we heard about it since?

And the blue sky filler they've done of late...

Honestly I'd be more hyped if they fixed the basic problems that make visiting the parks a hassle to begin with, or just improved show quality, entertainment and retail/dining across the board.

EricsBiscuit

And what is the reach of Iger’s interview yesterday (and all the news reports) vs Gustin’s “clarification”?
If he said 7 new “Disneylands” then the announcement would have been more impressive. In reality, Bob is not that smart. He runs a company which he doesn’t understand.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And what is the reach of Iger’s interview yesterday (and all the news reports) vs Gustin’s “clarification”?
Even if you go with Iger's literal words of the interview, he didn't say 7 new lands were going to be built. He was just touting that no park was 'land-locked' and each park had room for more capacity.

This time, it's bloggers' fault for amplifying a false impression.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom