Disney once again showing why...

bigeternity

An ADHD, sugar-rush induced piece of PR. Well done if you like this kind of lightweight entertainment.
Personally, I'd like a slower documentary style pace to this two hour affair.

WDW1974

Parade? I thought that was just a 2 hour long Disney commercial. ;)

You thought correctly. ... Although the real parade is nice enough, I saw it last week at MVMCP. But whatever aired this morning (and I was in bed, so I didn't see it) was absolutely nothing but an edited/spliced together commercial for the Disney BRAND. Phoney and oh so fake.

When it was live and real, it was worth watching much like Macy's Parade on Turkey Day. Now? ... I'll pass while the Pixie Dusters crow and cackle.

WDW1974

Although nearly always cheesy, I sure miss the days when Regis told us how it was a sunny morning in Orlando and the temperature was at the top of the screen and some segments were actually... um, oh, LIVE. Now it's a horrid PR puff piece for DISNEY PARKS..... Here's a question for everyone, since Samantha Brown now does so much stuff for Disney now, even though she has "independent" shows on the Travel Channel, is on the company's payroll at this point?

Yes, Samantha Brown gets paid by Disney and does everything from appearances on the broadcast to shilling timeshare sales and cruises. But a gal's gotta earn a buck ...

WDW1974

YES!
Maybe i am showing my age, but i remember the 'old school' telecast Disney Christmas Parade showings.For several years it was a fun tradition to tune in and watch the parade and get a buzz from seeing Cinderella Castle on the screen. I always got a big chuckle out of the temperature being shown on-screen and the actual LIVE coverage segments. It was great harmless festive fun...and it was cool to see the various plugs for whatever the latest Disney product/attraction/movie..etc...was.

Maybe i am also showing my naive impression, but why is this parade no longer broadcast 'live' anymore anyway or at least certain segments? Perhaps to make it easier to create the finished, edited show...since extra costs would likely be involved having a full live broadcasting team there plus the 'celebrity' talent.

Refresh my memory, those who may know the reasons.

It's not live because it is too 'costly' and logistically difficult (but in no way impossible) to do. With all the Lifestylers trying to get in and 'cover it', I can imagine that Disney would have to greatly increase staffing (and they can't even properly staff crowd control as is) and limit MK access very quickly (or at least to MSUSA).

The other issue is that sometimes the weather isn't nice. It's great when it's 80 and sunny on Christmas Day. That used to get the lines at the call centers humming. But when it's 53 and windy and rainy, that doesn't inspire folks to plan MAGICal WDW vacations on the spot.

But just like so much at WDW, so much 'MAGIC' was lost when it stopped being a live telecast (even with taped in September segments!)

copcarguyp71

Why would I watch the parade at home when I don't watch them when I am there? I am one of the minority of people who honestly don't get anything out of the parades other than jostled around by rude people who arrive five minutes before start time and are trying to shove their kids in front of people who had their spot staked out an hour ahead of time...just not my thing. I would rather hit the high wait time attractions while others are pressing the flesh shoulder to shoulder to see the exact same characters you can see at a meet and greet. No disrespect for those who enjoy the parades, more power to ya!

Doug7856

Our family enjoyed the parade. Sure, it's a two hour advertisement for Disney theme parks and various Disney related enterprises, but it was fun. We enjoyed the entertainment and ride previews. I personally thought Mickey's Soundastional Parade segments where cool and we so wish that WDW had a new parade beside "Remember the Wishes of a Dream Come True Parade". Maybe 2013 will be our year for a truly new parade?

Darth Vader was a great addition. I don't remember his presence in previous parades. Now that he's part of the Disney family, hopefully we'll see him more.

To me, the parade is what it is, a reminder of some great Disney memories and anticipation of a few new attractions. I think that on TV, the New Fantasyland paled in comparison to Carsland. I don't think this was Disney Parks intent, but that's what it was. Great to have some new attractions at WDW, but nothing compared to Carsland -- especially for families and visitors who are not little girls.

I remember the "live" clips from many years ago. There was also a Christmas Eve night version one year. Good memories and anticipation of the magic that Disney can create when it really wants to.

WDW1974

Posting something positive about Disney is now a bannable offense? Gotta love unifanbois I mean wdwmagic.

If you dislike the place so much, then one must logically ask are you doing here?
Only someone with a mental disorder would hang out in a forum they didn't enjoy being part of ... and almost every post of yours is the same and ends with a shot at the forum and its posters.

Yes, some of us love UNI ... and love Disney too ... and SW for that matter. Nothing wrong with that. Blind devotion to a company or BRAND is not healthy for the wallet or the psyche.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Posting something positive about Disney is now a bannable offense? Gotta love unifanbois I mean wdwmagic.
Your choice of wording and posting history incites flames and gives the impression you are trolling. What you posted isn't fact, its opinion. And one like I said could rightly or wrongly be taken as attempting to stir things. That's what could get someone banned.

Since you asked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom