Disney once again showing why...

Cmdr_Crimson

To be honest..It really is getting worse now...I was happy that they Acknowledge Epcot, DHS, & AK in a 3 minute segment..But, It would be nice to have shown more to the parks like they did so many years ago...Yes it is a big commercial..But, the earlier versions of the parade where 100 times better..Take this for example...

Oh..And one other thing...I find hilarious that throughout the parade how the sky likes to edit itself...It's clear and blue during Newsies,dark & cloudy when Lady Antebellum performs, then partly cloudy as the parade continues...

awoogala

Why would I watch the parade at home when I don't watch them when I am there? I am one of the minority of people who honestly don't get anything out of the parades other than jostled around by rude people who arrive five minutes before start time and are trying to shove their kids in front of people who had their spot staked out an hour ahead of time...just not my thing. I would rather hit the high wait time attractions while others are pressing the flesh shoulder to shoulder to see the exact same characters you can see at a meet and greet. No disrespect for those who enjoy the parades, more power to ya!
Funny thing, the only time I like most of the parades are on tv or dvd, since I don't have to sit on a curb for an hour to see them. I also would rather hit the rides instead.
I do find it to be an ad (obviously not one I mind since I watched it!), but it seemed to be more an ad for Disneyland this time. Seems as if they wish everyone would go see DL this year- maybe so they can start fixing wdw? ;)

articos

Although nearly always cheesy, I sure miss the days when Regis told us how it was a sunny morning in Orlando and the temperature was at the top of the screen and some segments were actually... um, oh, LIVE. Now it's a horrid PR puff piece for DISNEY PARKS..... Here's a question for everyone, since Samantha Brown now does so much stuff for Disney now, even though she has "independent" shows on the Travel Channel, is on the company's payroll at this point?
Samantha's not under contract to Disney, but once the company has vetted and signed off on someone it's easier to reuse them (see also: every other host that's ever worked for Disney). She's paid by whichever production hired her, which in some cases is under the auspices of Disney Marketing/Yellow Shoes/Disney Travel, and other times by whichever network commissioned the show.

YES!
Maybe i am showing my age, but i remember the 'old school' telecast Disney Christmas Parade showings.For several years it was a fun tradition to tune in and watch the parade and get a buzz from seeing Cinderella Castle on the screen. I always got a big chuckle out of the temperature being shown on-screen and the actual LIVE coverage segments. It was great harmless festive fun...and it was cool to see the various plugs for whatever the latest Disney product/attraction/movie..etc...was.

Maybe i am also showing my naive impression, but why is this parade no longer broadcast 'live' anymore anyway or at least certain segments? Perhaps to make it easier to create the finished, edited show...since extra costs would likely be involved having a full live broadcasting team there plus the 'celebrity' talent.

Refresh my memory, those who may know the reasons.
There are multiple reasons. Like '74 said logistics and weather are big factors. It's always much easier to pre-tape as much as possible when dealing with FL weather, even during the winter. Cost is the biggest factor, of course. Plus Ops hates having to staff for a live parade, and it really screws up their day (which is a pretty busy day), on top of all of the after hours costs/logistics for the rehearsal and pre-tape. It all gets billed back to the production, which in this case is paid for by marketing. A major factor is also the change of hosts several years ago. With Regis and Kelly and Seacrest, you have hosts who are versed in live television. Mario and Nick are not the best live guys. Mario's getting better with X-Factor, but he's not Ryan or Regis. Without the hosts in place, plus the cost savings of not having to go live, and the decision was made to cut and deliver the show in advance. ABC doesn't mind, because it's essentially bought airtime and they aren't programming against anything.

Anything produced by Lightship Entertainment will have that look.
Lightship is hired by Disney (& ABC) to produce. They're essentially the partner production service company tasked with hiring the production personnel, shooting and editing the parade and then delivering to ABC. They've shot for Disney for years, since IDEAS was shut down. Lightship is more following the formula than anything else.

Californian Elitist

I'm saving my viewing time and excitement for the Cars Land float that will be in the Rose Parade. The Disney Christmas Parades have been so BORING and stale for the past few years now. Maybe if I was actually there it would be different. Sitting at home, watching people like Justin Bieber and other Tweens like that perform is just not fun, IMO.

John

Did anyone else hear one of the hostess say something about a "big anouncement" on Dick Clarks NYE?
Rememebr last years "big anouncement".....not so big.

Sketch105

Someone asked me "If its "Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade", how come they only show California and WDW?" I explained that the big thing this year was promoting FLE and Carsland, and that if they showed the parades in Disneyland Paris or TDL, Americans would feel like they were being gypped. :D

Anyway, to be less cynical, I enjoyed the special because it reminds me of the back-in-the-day specials they used to do for the parks when they opened, or to celebrate anniversaries. My favorite? Disneyland's 35th anniversary with Miss Piggy visiting the park, and Ted Danson revealing he fell in love with a Haunted Mansion ghost. That's when I realized their Haunted Mansion was different from WDW's!

Cmdr_Crimson

Anyway, to be less cynical, I enjoyed the special because it reminds me of the back-in-the-day specials they used to do for the parks when they opened, or to celebrate anniversaries. My favorite? Disneyland's 35th anniversary with Miss Piggy visiting the park, and Ted Danson revealing he fell in love with a Haunted Mansion ghost. That's when I realized their Haunted Mansion was different from WDW's!

Because TV is nothing more than Talk Shows about Inspiration, Drug Commercials, 15 min Dragon text ads, and Reality shows....There is No Imagination left..Why do I have a bad feeling will see A Honey Boo Boo at Disney World special soon....

Jimmy Thick

To the OP, don't be discouraged a small minority of posters feel its their personal mission to spread the word about the failing of Disney World. They all live in their own personal Fantasyland that reeks of ignorance, bias and the failure of not getting free trips from the Mouse.

Disney has ruled since the creation of the theme park genre, and will do so until the world ends.

Jimmy Thick- * Wipes tear from eye *

articos

To be honest..It really is getting worse now...I was happy that they Acknowledge Epcot, DHS, & AK in a 3 minute segment..But, It would be nice to have shown more to the parks like they did so many years ago...Yes it is a big commercial..But, the earlier versions of the parade where 100 times better..Take this for example...

Oh..And one other thing...I find hilarious that throughout the parade how the sky likes to edit itself...It's clear and blue during Newsies,dark & cloudy when Lady Antebellum performs, then partly cloudy as the parade continues...

Wow. Eckerd Drugs and photo processing. There's an entire generation that has no idea what that is now. And for comparison sake, back then, they're saying 50 million watched the parade on Christmas Day, but these days they're not getting close to that number. Macy's is hitting around 40-45 million now, and that's the parade broadcast to beat.

TalkingHead

The marketing stuff isn't nearly as offensive when what's being promoted is genuinely groundbreaking and impressive.

But it's simply dreadful and embarrassing when it's being used to sell magic and memories and you.

Thanks, but how about you build the next generation of Harry Potter and I'll make the memories myself.

celluloid

They literally squeezed Star Tours in there again too as if it was a new attraction that opened this year. All that time on Areosmith...really?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A least you guys got the parade. Over here we have to resort to.... unofficial sources... to see it.

Regarding the content and feel, certainly UK broadcasting laws stipulate such programming need x amount of "entertainment" versus z amount of "advertising". Program's like these - old and new - walk a fine line between hours long plugging of a product and actual entertainment. Too much flogging the horse and they have to pay for a commercial at thousands of pounds a minute. Too little and the real objective - advertising - is deemed a failure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom