News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

SteamboatJoe

Because like many topics... the audience that appreciated it aged out and died. Or in the case of Disney... aged out of being their prime visitor demographic.

IMO the advanced CGI that we have today really makes people lack the appreciation for what was done before.

Let's face it.. how many people <30 today have any affinity for 'The Golden Age of Hollywood'? Besides recognizing the names, how many even have an idea what the big names were famous for anymore?

The continuous output that is hollywood, combined with the incredible speed of technology makes modern audience less interested/aware of the product from generations before IMO.

I agree. I don't think AAs are nearly as impressive to the lay person these days and that really shouldn't be surprising. The foundation of the tech is over 60 years old. Do any of you still stand in awe of your microwave? Us fanboys and fangirls appreciate the achievement and know there have been significant technological advancements in AAs since they were debuted but I don't think your average guest really knows or particularly cares. AAs have been cheaply replicated elsewhere. Heck, Disney even somewhat poked fun at this themselves 20+ years ago in A Goofy Movie. The bar to impress has simply been raised by the natural process of time. I don't think that should be a surprise or condemned.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree. I don't think AAs are nearly as impressive to the lay person these days and that really shouldn't be surprising. The foundation of the tech is over 60 years old. Do any of you still stand in awe of your microwave? Us fanboys and fangirls appreciate the achievement and know there have been significant technological advancements in AAs since they were debuted but I don't think your average guest really knows or particularly cares. AAs have been cheaply replicated elsewhere. Heck, Disney even somewhat poked fun at this themselves 20+ years ago in A Goofy Movie. The bar to impress has simply been raised by the natural process of time. I don't think that should be a surprise or condemned.

Then perhaps the answer is to up your game on AA's. Not capitulate to Screenz everywhere

SteamboatJoe

Then perhaps the answer is to up your game on AA's. Not capitulate to Screenz everywhere
I don't disagree at all with that sentiment. I should admit that I am probably in the minority here, but changing this to a Mickey ride doesn't bother me (if done properly and not on the cheap). I would also be fine if they kept/updated GMR. Ideally Mickey would go in Animation Courtyard but I am sensing that is not an option at this time.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't disagree at all with that sentiment. I should admit that I am probably in the minority here, but changing this to a Mickey ride doesn't bother me (if done properly and not on the cheap). I would also be fine if they kept/updated GMR. Ideally Mickey would go in Animation Courtyard but I am sensing that is not an option at this time.

Mickey already has Philharmagic in the MK why not upgrade THAT instead of the all too likely Philharmagic 2.0 with moving seating

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have a hunch Imagineering has plans for that space after the Mickey ride opens.

Possibly it is prime space for a rather lackluster attraction, The Aladdin sequence makes the best use of the attraction tech in my opinion, If all the sequences were that good it would be a lot more popular

Goofyernmost

I see nothing wrong with modernized AA's, but, the impressive days of the AA are in the last quarter of the last century. They are still entertaining, but, are not the big thing in technology. Today's creativity with screens are the current "thing" of this century. What they have done with screens is amazing and that is what is impressing people now. If Disney were to ignore modern technology they would be left behind very quickly. Change or die has been a business model for many, many years. I doubt that Ford Motor Company would survive selling Model T's.

MaximumEd

I see nothing wrong with modernized AA's, but, the impressive days of the AA are in the last quarter of the last century. They are still entertaining, but, are not the big thing in technology. Today's creativity with screens are the current "thing" of this century. What they have done with screens is amazing and that is what is impressing people now. If Disney were to ignore modern technology they would be left behind very quickly. Change or die has been a business model for many, many years. I doubt that Ford Motor Company would survive selling Model T's.

How about both? Navi River Journey shows a small taste of what can be done. I don't think it has to be a one or the other proposition.

Goofyernmost

Why has WDW being ignoring him while he's getting some love at Disneyland at DCA?
Probably because so many people don't give a rats butt about Oswald. Oswald may have been one of Disney's original inspirations, but, Oswald did not make him famous. If Walt hadn't discovered Mickey no one would ever have heard of Oswald the Rabbit. It could be said that we have the Disney we have today because that rabbit died and a mouse was born.

dreamscometrue

Prepare for disappointment.
Unless things have changed, it's all Mick.
Mick.jpg
Really? Oh, you mean Mickey. Nevermind. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom