News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

jt04

What are the chances they'd be willing to spend the money to do a BatB ride that isn't a clone? In terms of theme and fit, I'd rather have Ratatouille in France than Beauty and the Beast. But if the film is incredibly popular (which I suspect it might be), any chance they'd do a "realistic" version of the ride that's based on the new film? If it shared the same technology and layout as the BatB ride being built overseas, but all the decoration and theming was based on the 2017 film and not the 1991 film, I might be more accepting of it in the France pavilion. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney wanted this to be a "cheap project" that's simply a direct clone of one of the two rides that doesn't require any new work.

If they do an attraction based on the animated version it would fit much better in the MK. They can make it work with a tunnel.

Mike S

In keeping with the aesthetic of the France pavilion, I do hope Ratatouille will be the attraction. BatB would not look great inside a modern French atmosphere
Same with Frozen in Norway. These ships sadly left long ago and despite our best wishes didn't sink before reaching their destination.
I feel that they would probably clone the upcoming ride set to open in Tokyo. Which very well could be a vastly superior attraction to Ratatouille. But the Rat would be less of a thematic break for World Showcase and the France pavilion, imho. So my vote is for Rat.
If they're going to ruin Epcot with yet more IP I want nothing but the absolute best. It'll be the sole consolation from a complete hack job to what used to be a grand and awe inspiring theme park.
Regarding B&TB vs R for the France spot, from what I know/ believe (a matter of preference) the B&TB ride is much, much better, however, the R ride is a much, much, better fit. It does (as Martin has said) seem that Rat is winning, however, as suggested, if the movie does very well, I wouldn't count out B&TB just yet.
Hope it does gangbusters then.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I feel that they would probably clone the upcoming ride set to open in Tokyo. Which very well could be a vastly superior attraction to Ratatouille. But the Rat would be less of a thematic break for World Showcase and the France pavilion, imho. So my vote is for Rat.
Isn't Tokyo getting a much better Frozen attraction? I would be worried that the same thing would happen with BatB where we get a watered down version. I guess that could happen for Rat too.

DinoInstitute

If they're going to ruin Epcot with yet more IP I want nothing but the absolute best. It'll be the sole consolation from a complete hack job to what used to be a grand and awe inspiring theme park.
I have kind of the opposite opinion personally; it's not like Rat is a bad attraction (even if BatB might be a bit better, Rats still a fun E), so why not go with the one that makes more sense for the location is my view. Nothing about BatB really screams "France" to me at all, meanwhile the plot of Ratatouille is directly dependent on French culture, so it at least makes some sense as an IP for the pavilion. As another member put it in another thread I think (sorry to whoever it was, I forgot), putting BatB there would just be unnecessarily turning the World Showcase into Princessland.

Mike S

I have kind of the opposite opinion personally; it's not like Rat is a bad attraction (even if BatB might be a bit better, Rats still a fun E), so why not go with the one that makes more sense for the location is my view. Nothing about BatB really screams "France" to me at all, meanwhile the plot of Ratatouille is directly dependent on French culture, so it at least makes some sense as an IP for the pavilion. As another member put it in another thread I think (sorry to whoever it was, I forgot), putting BatB there would just be unnecessarily turning the World Showcase into Princessland.
"After all miss this is France."

Frozen had even less to go on. B&tB just looks like a much better experience.

DinoInstitute

"After all miss this is France."

Frozen had even less to go on. B&tB just looks like a much better experience.
Yes, there are references to its setting, that doesn't mean it's a focal point of the movie. Same applies to most IPs I'd imagine they are considering putting in WS. Ratatouille I think is probably one of the most fitting options we're going to get (not that it's ideal either really).

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I have been watching that same France movie for 35 years, and I still go and see it each trip... I still think it represents the beauty of France, and while I believe it should be updated, I think the travelogue film in the France pavilion is really necessary... I am hoping the Ratatouille ride will be built in the expansion area between France and Morocco actually expanding the presence of France...and better for crowd control as well.
It's the music that draws me in. When worked with the visuals it is beyond incredible. I have watched Oceans 11 about a zillion times and it mostly because at the end they are all standing in front of the Bellagio with that music playing in the background and all I can ever think of is World Showcase and France.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Officially, Universal doesn't categorize rides. Internally, the teams within Universal Creative use the same familiar terminology as everyone: E-ticket, etc. Mostly because everyone works interchangeably between Creative and WDI on projects during their careers.

Oh good. That means the whole industry is on board with language that is vague and undefined with standards that shift from time and place.

doctornick

Count me among those who would rather have Ratatouille in France -- just a better fit than other choices. I mean, if you have to bring in IP to WS, that's actually a defensible choice. Even better, the R&D costs are already done and it would fill a huge need for the park -- large capacity, family friendly ride on the side of WS far away from other rides to help spread out crowds.

I would just hope it would get approved and get built well before MK's 50th (2021). Seems like it could/should be built quicker if there was actually a will to make it happen. The park could use it ASAP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom