News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

P_Radden

I've been out of the loop lately, but just skimmed this thread.

Let me get this straight:
1. They are gutting the GMR ride system and all with the exception of the actual building structure and facade.
2. A new ride will be placed here. It WILL NOT be a new version of GMR but a completely different theme or IP.
3. This is planned to open 2020? So GMR should be closed when, 2018/9?
4. This is the mystery "E" ticket that has been hinted about for weeks.

IMO this sucks.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Part of the attraction of classics is their familiarity. I good story is worth sharing repeatedly, from generation to generation. Disney used to know that, and keep the classics in rotation on screens (TV or movies or theme park attractions) from generation to generation, with new releases and promotions. Every release did not have to be a blockbuster. But instead a slow and steady course that kept the timeless stories in front of a new generation. How do you think that we all knew Snow White, which came out first in 1937? It was re-released several times, and its characters and songs used in other media.

Today's Disney still knows how to cross-promote across media, but only the newest things. And taking ALL classics off the Disney Channel has only exacerbated the situation.

I am 50, and I grow up in the '70s and '80s. "When You Wish Upon A Star" and The Twilight Zone and the original MMC were already old when I was young, but they were also true classics, repeated enough for me to know them -- and to recognize them -- and their timelessness -- in the parks. They fit like a glove right next to new classics like The Lion King.

And the parks themselves were understood to be exquisitely themed lands that took you to a different place -- sometimes to the world of a movie, but other times to a classic time and space like "Frontierland" and a cool, funny "Jungle Cruise" (itself inspired by a movie, "The African Queen," but not slave to its story). WDW truly inspired me -- but it did so in being balanced between a reverence for the past (Liberty Square/Frontierland) and a vision of the future (Tomorrowland), with a good dose of adventure and fantasy thrown in, but all in good measure.

They just need to remember that balance. I just have little hope these days that they will.

And Walt bet EVERYTHING on that movie. Can you see TWDC doing that now? Nope, everything is a safe, sure bet...and all IP acquisitions. Pixar, Lucasfilms, Marvel (not that I'm complaining about the first two).

I'm a few years older than you. I came to know and love the Wizard of Oz because CBS broadcasted it every year. And we watched it every year. All of us, well, except my dad since he hated Judy Garland. :eek:

Those classic movies are part of the cultural heritage of this country. And Disney is part of that. It pains me to think that the current company management is hell bent on removing that heritage, which includes its own history, from one of its theme parks. Shame on them.

HauntedMansionFLA

Remember a year ago when the budget numbers for the DHS expansion were released and we were all filled with bottomless optimism? Back when it was an actual expansion? Still waiting on parking garage construction.

I feel every move since then has whittled away at my optimism. FWIW, I actually think the new ride will be fun (and I would say the same of GotG at Epcot), but there is no acceptable reason for this new ride not being built de novo elsewhere. This move would be akin to gutting the geosphere for a (fun) IP ride.

It's a pity they never took the time to update a scene or two every few years on the GMR. It is a unique ride that was unfortunately allowed to decay for decades.

I would like at least one of the zombies when all of this stuff ends up on EBay.
DHS, Like EPCOT, has a lot of potential. I do like the fact they are putting E- tickets in the park. It could be an interesting D23.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Does this really come as a shock to anyone? Nothing at any park is safe anymore. Sure we can all agree/disagree on whether this is the right thing to do (naturally). But can you imagine if this ride got the proper refurb or updating it deserved? Imagine the new age animatronics being used on this ride (think Frozen)?

Looking at it from a big picture standpoint, what does this mean? Is Disney moving away from the "Golden Age of Hollywood" theme? If so, then Sunset Blvd is no doubt on the chopping block. That to me would be the biggest travesty since in my opinion, that whole area is the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering (in recent memory). All for what though, Marvel land or another IP? Then what's going to happen in 10-15 years when those IPs become stale? Another overlay?

As has been mentioned numerous times, Disney is taking the quick and easy path instead of building proper new attractions. This is setting an awful precedence. Hopefully one day the leadership at the top learns from these mistakes.

Next Big Thing

By the time everything opens, DHS is still going to be back at Square 1.

The park is barely gaining anything. This park NEEDS attractions and they STILL aren't getting them when the park is at an all time low.

At this point, the only thing that I have hope for is SWL.

Disney has to realize how they got to where they are. Greed is not how they got to the top.
Well LMA was sparsely attended as was BLT in recent years. So yes, we technically may be about only +1 in the end, but these are going to be things people are actually going to ride as opposed to a 30+ minute show or 25+ minute tram ride that took up a huge amount of space.

cdeev8690

That ride system is the most unreliable thing ever. Breaks all the time. Plus it uses people which is a huge cost. I think it's safe to say that it's going away, or at the very least being automated with new vehicles.

I got stuck in the Tarzan section for 10 minutes once. Picture yourself sitting there and every minute or so, Tarzan's swinging by and screaming

I have no use for the ride, of course I have only been doing WDW for 5 years, so I don't have the "classic" attachment to it. Would love to see that prime space go to something great. SHould probably do something with little mermaid while they are at it.

I'm not attached to the ride itself but I do understand why so many others are. I've watched and worshipped many of the classic films incorporated in the ride and I think it's important to keep them around instead of trying to erase the past. Disney is upsetting a few generations of park go-ers that want the past to live in present, which is what the GMR did. You think those small kids and tweens know anything about Casablanca? No, probably not. Maybe a few became interested after passing through on GMR. The ride was more for adults anyway but I think Disney has given up on trying to please that demographic (Scratch that, they definitely don't care). I enjoy Disney because I had believed it promoted nostalgia. Walking down Main Street feels like you've time warped and then riding ToT actually IS a time warp. It's important to give nods to the massive pop culture that existed before us (for me, for park goers younger than me) that made the parks great.

I have to touch back again that I was never attached to GRM but with all of the weird, questionable adjustments and changes that have been announced recently, I'm concerned about what the parks will look like in 30 years from now when I'm there with my children or grandchildren and it's looks unrecognizable. If all of the attractions and amenities and sights that I had fallen in love with, will be hidden behind "Pardon Our Pixie Dust Walls", torn down, and banished as if they never existed. It's just sad.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've been out of the loop lately, but just skimmed this thread.

Let me get this straight:
1. They are gutting the GMR ride system and all with the exception of the actual building structure and facade.
2. A new ride will be placed here. It WILL NOT be a new version of GMR but a completely different theme or IP.
3. This is planned to open 2020? So GMR should be closed when, 2018/9?
4. This is the mystery "E" ticket that has been hinted about for weeks.

IMO this sucks.
Yes apart from dates. This is 2019. Expect GMR to close next year.

Monorail_Red_77

I do. What happened to the blessing of size.
Tell me about it. It seems TDO has Disneyland syndrome. We don't have enough room to keep all these rides in this park AND offer new rides, all this has gotta go. um... Bob, we have 40,000 acres to work with. I don't care, tear it down.

To me its just ridiculous. Too much net zero gain as of late. Even New Fantasyland is net zero when you consider is was built on top of 2KL and Mickeys birthday land/toon town.

Brad Bishop

Since they're using the old sound stages for Toy Story Midway Mania, if they were to close it, I think they'd be better off tearing down the building (maybe not the Chinese Theatre façade) and opening up that weird alley in front of TSMM.

clemmo

While I am a fan of new construction over retrofitting, retrofitting is quite often much more economical, easier to do with a quicker turnaround.
The problem with retrofitting imo is that like what happened with frozen, you're prone to unexpected delays due to existing structural or electrical problems. Now this won't be using the same track so hopefully they won't have any major problems like FEA did.

csmat99

But then where would you hold dance parties and sell $100 cupcake buffets? Oh, right . . .
I think Disney's plan will be to close down DHS and sell passes for $799 per person. It gets you a hard hat and a thor's hammer and you get to tear down what is left of the Magical park.

disney-mickey-mouse-construction-hard-hat-euc-072c16da1532dad50746790b21c55e96.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The problem with retrofitting imo is that like what happened with frozen, you're prone to unexpected delays due to existing structural or electrical problems. Now this won't be using the same track so hopefully they won't have any major problems like FEA did.
That is quite correct. Retrofitting will always have it's problems, but if the original building design supports it, you can shave moths of time and piles of money off a new attraction.

aaronml

That is quite correct. Retrofitting will always have it's problems, but if the original building design supports it, you can shave moths of time and piles of money off a new attraction.
The extra benefit of replacement over a new build as far as TDO is concerned is the cost of operation. With a new build, TDO ends up having to pay for the operation of all of the existing attractions, plus a new one, but with a replacement, there isn't as large of a difference in operations costs. Plus, the "savings" in ops costs from not operating the attraction being replaced helps offset the cost of building the replacement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom