Disney newborn

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Has anyone ever taken a newborn baby to Disney World?

We are considering going to Disney with a two month old baby. We had promised the older children a trip before we conceived and didn't want to make them wait a year.

What is your experience? Your suggestions?

I say if you are up for the challenge than by all means go for it. In the past we have left our children home when they were very little (with DD-now 4 we left her with my parents when she was 5 months and with our son-now 19 months we left him when he was 3 months). However, in hindsight, I personally would never do it again. I would always have brought them. But, that is subjective to our circumstance. We are fortunate enough to go quite often-at least once, sometimes twice a year for at least 10 days each. So, we aren't rushing to see everything and get to take our time. Not everyone's situation is the same.
My suggestion is to take your time. Be able to communicate with your spouse and maybe switch off from time to time. A newborn definitely sets the pace and as long as your other children can somewhat grasp that concept than I think you will be fine. I just wouldn't recommend going during the super hot and crowded months.
I tend to think that I am in the minority of people who say bring young children. Other people think that they are too young, but it all depends strictly on you and your family. Bringing a young baby is definitely a challenge but one that is completely doable and dependent on you and your family. No matter what happens, even if you have a rough day, you still just had a rough day at Disney World. And that isn't so bad. Have fun and good luck and congratulations on the new baby :wave:!

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Thank you...

I agree... even a rough day, is a rough day in Disney.

I say if you are up for the challenge than by all means go for it. In the past we have left our children home when they were very little (with DD-now 4 we left her with my parents when she was 5 months and with our son-now 19 months we left him when he was 3 months). However, in hindsight, I personally would never do it again. I would always have brought them. But, that is subjective to our circumstance. We are fortunate enough to go quite often-at least once, sometimes twice a year for at least 10 days each. So, we aren't rushing to see everything and get to take our time. Not everyone's situation is the same.
My suggestion is to take your time. Be able to communicate with your spouse and maybe switch off from time to time. A newborn definitely sets the pace and as long as your other children can somewhat grasp that concept than I think you will be fine. I just wouldn't recommend going during the super hot and crowded months.
I tend to think that I am in the minority of people who say bring young children. Other people think that they are too young, but it all depends strictly on you and your family. Bringing a young baby is definitely a challenge but one that is completely doable and dependent on you and your family. No matter what happens, even if you have a rough day, you still just had a rough day at Disney World. And that isn't so bad. Have fun and good luck and congratulations on the new baby :wave:!

toystoryma

Dh and I brought our 1 month old to Disney World with no problems, we just had it in our heads that we wouldnt get in everything we wanted to see/do. The baby was able to go on lots of rides, mostly at magic kingdom, the soft slow rides we just put him in the carseat carrier and went along with our day.

When our 2nd ds was born we took him at 3mon old and our first born son was 2yro, it went the same way.. we saw lots and lots of stuff just not everything. We did it all over again when our 3rd son was born and he was a yr old at that time.

Now those little babies are 3, 6 & 8yrs old lol and been over 10 times to Disney. WOW where does the time go??

d'Isigny

Original Poster
I feel the same way...
I already have it in my head that I will take it easy..even volunteered to stay behind at the hotel and let the other's have fun (though not possible without me).

How about pools... I'm trying to convince my sweetheart that I can take the baby in the pool (I'll be holding on to the baby of course)

Dh and I brought our 1 month old to Disney World with no problems, we just had it in our heads that we wouldnt get in everything we wanted to see/do. The baby was able to go on lots of rides, mostly at magic kingdom, the soft slow rides we just put him in the carseat carrier and went along with our day.

When our 2nd ds was born we took him at 3mon old and our first born son was 2yro, it went the same way.. we saw lots and lots of stuff just not everything. We did it all over again when our 3rd son was born and he was a yr old at that time.

Now those little babies are 3, 6 & 8yrs old lol and been over 10 times to Disney. WOW where does the time go??

Erika

Has anyone ever taken a newborn baby to Disney World?

We are considering going to Disney with a two month old baby. We had promised the older children a trip before we conceived and didn't want to make them wait a year.

What is your experience? Your suggestions?

I think so much depends on the baby! With my daughter, there is no way we could have done it. At 2 months she ate way too frequently and would not take a bottle unless I was away. There was no way I would have had time for anything fun like rides :lol:

But I've known other babies who were definitely more... portable :lookaroun

Our pediatrician had recommended no public pools until after 6 months because of their delicate skin and the chlorine.

Sadiebird

I took my son when he was 5 months old. I know that's a bit of a difference from 2 months old, but it was one of the best trips I've ever had there. It happened to also be one of the only really long trips I've ever been able to take, at 11 days long. That probably helped, because I wasn't rushed. I was also still nursing him and he hadn't started solid foods yet, so feeding him was so easy. I hadn't yet started in with bottles or any of that, so I didn't have to bring any extra stuff, which was great. The baby care centers in each park are absolutely wonderful, because they all have nursing rooms. It's a wonderfully quiet place to get away and nurse your baby, plus have some quiet time.

If I were you, I'd go for it, but I'd never turn down a trip to Disney! Certainly once I start toying with the idea, I can never stop until the trip is booked!

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Damn! That means she is right (about the pools)
Hmmm... ate frequently...well, that means she can meet us in the park!

I think so much depends on the baby! With my daughter, there is no way we could have done it. At 2 months she ate way too frequently and would not take a bottle unless I was away. There was no way I would have had time for anything fun like rides :lol:

But I've known other babies who were definitely more... portable :lookaroun

Our pediatrician had recommended no public pools until after 6 months because of their delicate skin and the chlorine.

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Thank you... that is so great to know...(nursing rooms). Are the Baby centers located centrally?

Do the resorts have cribs?

I took my son when he was 5 months old. I know that's a bit of a difference from 2 months old, but it was one of the best trips I've ever had there. It happened to also be one of the only really long trips I've ever been able to take, at 11 days long. That probably helped, because I wasn't rushed. I was also still nursing him and he hadn't started solid foods yet, so feeding him was so easy. I hadn't yet started in with bottles or any of that, so I didn't have to bring any extra stuff, which was great. The baby care centers in each park are absolutely wonderful, because they all have nursing rooms. It's a wonderfully quiet place to get away and nurse your baby, plus have some quiet time.

If I were you, I'd go for it, but I'd never turn down a trip to Disney! Certainly once I start toying with the idea, I can never stop until the trip is booked!

Erika

Damn! That means she is right (about the pools)
Hmmm... ate frequently...well, that means she can meet us in the park!

:lol: By frequently I mean CONSTANTLY... she was a teeny tiny little thing and needed everything she could get :lol:

(she is almost 2 yrs old now- eating regular food- and still eats all day long)

That is probably not the case for most babies :shrug: although I have a friend who is going through the same thing right now... I am getting lots of phone calls!

Ask your pediatrician about the pools, and about sunscreen. See what she/he says. Can't hurt :)

d'Isigny

Original Poster
That's a good idea... I won't give up hope just yet (about the pool)

The nursing room will at least allow her into the parks...cause I'm sure this baby will eat constantly...

:lol: By frequently I mean CONSTANTLY... she was a teeny tiny little thing and needed everything she could get :lol:

(she is almost 2 yrs old now- eating regular food- and still eats all day long)

That is probably not the case for most babies :shrug: although I have a friend who is going through the same thing right now... I am getting lots of phone calls!

Ask your pediatrician about the pools, and about sunscreen. See what she/he says. Can't hurt :)

Sadiebird

Thank you... that is so great to know...(nursing rooms). Are the Baby centers located centrally?

The baby care centers are located in different spots in the different parks...
Magic Kingdom: Next to The Crystal Palace on Main Street
Epcot: Iinside Future World's Odyssey Center.
Hollywood Studios: In the Guest Services Building inside the Main Entrance.
Animal Kingdom: Behind Creature Comforts in Discovery Island.

All the resorts have cribs. You just have to request one on your room reservation. They're the "pack and play" type cribs, although, when we stayed at the Swan it was a "portable crib", which was more like a regular full sized crib. The side of the crib didn't come down though, so we had them put an extra mattress in it so he would be a little higher up, otherwise, it was a very long reach down to pick him up.

mickey&me

So much depends on your kids. My son would not have gone at that age--he hated crowds and screamed at them very, very loudly until he got away from them. We would all have been miserable.

My nephew and niece wouldn't go with a baby now, because even at 10 and 7, they couldn't stand the "We need to take a break for the baby" argument. They'd whine and complain, and again we'd all be miserable.

So decide based on your family, not what other people tell you.

VT GAL

I can only speak of the baby center in MK, which is near the Crystal Palace Restaurant. It is very nice.

The resorts have pack and plays, and they will bring you a sheet and a blanket. What I did was go out and bought a waterproof zip around cover for the bottom part (it had microban in it, so it quelled some of my fears over germs), a waterproof mattress pad for some cushion, and brought 4 or 5 of my sheets from home. It made me feel better...probably sounds crazy...well it does sound crazy when I read it....:lookaroun

I also made an "Gosh Darn" box (in the spirit of Disney) and I put EVERYTHING that I could possilbly think of in it like aspirators, baby nail clippers, extra diaper cream, and stuff like that. It made me feel a lot better that if there was ANYTHING that I needed I had it on hand.

I hope that you all have a great trip and take TONS of pictures! :sohappy:

EDIT: Also, depending on your stroller, I would STRONGLY suggest getting a rain cover for it. I know that they sell ones that are more form fitting at Babies R Us.

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Thank you for the information...

you people are great

The baby care centers are located in different spots in the different parks...
Magic Kingdom: Next to The Crystal Palace on Main Street
Epcot: Iinside Future World's Odyssey Center.
Hollywood Studios: In the Guest Services Building inside the Main Entrance.
Animal Kingdom: Behind Creature Comforts in Discovery Island.

All the resorts have cribs. You just have to request one on your room reservation. They're the "pack and play" type cribs, although, when we stayed at the Swan it was a "portable crib", which was more like a regular full sized crib. The side of the crib didn't come down though, so we had them put an extra mattress in it so he would be a little higher up, otherwise, it was a very long reach down to pick him up.

d'Isigny

Original Poster
he screamed at the crowds? That's funny...

I would gladly sacrifice myself and take care of the baby... if it poses a problem...

So much depends on your kids. My son would not have gone at that age--he hated crowds and screamed at them very, very loudly until he got away from them. We would all have been miserable.

My nephew and niece wouldn't go with a baby now, because even at 10 and 7, they couldn't stand the "We need to take a break for the baby" argument. They'd whine and complain, and again we'd all be miserable.

So decide based on your family, not what other people tell you.

d'Isigny

Original Poster
great idea...the Gosh Darn box...

and about the stroller cover

I can only speak of the baby center in MK, which is near the Crystal Palace Restaurant. It is very nice.

The resorts have pack and plays, and they will bring you a sheet and a blanket. What I did was go out and bought a waterproof zip around cover for the bottom part (it had microban in it, so it quelled some of my fears over germs), a waterproof mattress pad for some cushion, and brought 4 or 5 of my sheets from home. It made me feel better...probably sounds crazy...well it does sound crazy when I read it....:lookaroun

I also made an "Gosh Darn" box (in the spirit of Disney) and I put EVERYTHING that I could possilbly think of in it like aspirators, baby nail clippers, extra diaper cream, and stuff like that. It made me feel a lot better that if there was ANYTHING that I needed I had it on hand.

I hope that you all have a great trip and take TONS of pictures! :sohappy:

EDIT: Also, depending on your stroller, I would STRONGLY suggest getting a rain cover for it. I know that they sell ones that are more form fitting at Babies R Us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom