Disney - Marvel - Universal

RozFan

i know we have talked about this topic ad nauseum... BUT i still feel the most plausible scenario will be revisiting the sci-fi city concept used in universal sentosa.

a daunting and surely expensive task but at least universal would be able to sleep at night without those darn mickey mouse nightmares.

i think this idea is definitely on their radar and depending on how well harry lines their pockets with galleons if they are able to do anything at all.

JEANYLASER

I'm a big fan of Marvel and Disney! and Maybe Disney can make a Marvel Resort next door to DHS! And also Mickey and his pals can dress up as superheroes!

JT3000

I'm only going to say this one more time... Universal's Marvel rights are perpetual. The contract does not expire until they want it to. They're not going to let that happen, so this entire topic is moot. Can we move on now?

WV_Jayola

For the person who suggested that DC is less violent.... Uhm...have you been in a comic shop in the last five years?

DC has become a VERY dark, very violent universe. The flagship event of the last year has been Blackest Night, where all of the dead heroes have been returning to life as "Black Lantern" Zombies, and brutally attacking the living heroes. All lead by Nekron, the living embodiment of death.

Before that, you had Infinite Crisis, which was equally brutal, and actually had a famous scene of Black Adam punching THROUGH Psycho Pirates head. Literally. Hand through the skull.

Then there was Identity Crisis, which featured the storyline of Sue Dibny, Ralph Dibny's wife, being raped by the villian Dr. Light on the Justice League Sattelite.

Oh, and what about Martha Wayne (Batman's mom) being revealed as a drug addicted socialite.

And the story line that James Robinson and JT Krul are writing right now, Justice League : Cry for Justice and The Rise and Fall of Green Arrow. The one where The Red Arrow....Arsenal.... had his arm ripped off, and then later in the series, had his baby girl killed by the villian Prometheus.

I could continue to go on, but trust me.... DC is actually a much more violent, darker universe than Marvel at this point. At least from where I can see it.

jeff.

trr1

For the person who suggested that DC is less violent.... Uhm...have you been in a comic shop in the last five years?

DC has become a VERY dark, very violent universe. The flagship event of the last year has been Blackest Night, where all of the dead heroes have been returning to life as "Black Lantern" Zombies, and brutally attacking the living heroes. All lead by Nekron, the living embodiment of death.

Before that, you had Infinite Crisis, which was equally brutal, and actually had a famous scene of Black Adam punching THROUGH Psycho Pirates head. Literally. Hand through the skull.

Then there was Identity Crisis, which featured the storyline of Sue Dibny, Ralph Dibny's wife, being raped by the villian Dr. Light on the Justice League Sattelite.

Oh, and what about Martha Wayne (Batman's mom) being revealed as a drug addicted socialite.

And the story line that James Robinson and JT Krul are writing right now, Justice League : Cry for Justice and The Rise and Fall of Green Arrow. The one where The Red Arrow....Arsenal.... had his arm ripped off, and then later in the series, had his baby girl killed by the villian Prometheus.

I could continue to go on, but trust me.... DC is actually a much more violent, darker universe than Marvel at this point. At least from where I can see it.

jeff.
This all sounds like the evening news,soap opera or a bad reality show :snore:

Captain Chaos

jeff.

Just think, all this violence you detailed was just 1 show of Jersey Shore... :lookaroun.. Ohh wait, that was only Sookie getting popped.. nevermind....

Thrill Seeker

The ball is in Universal's court. Disney is going to sit back and collect royalties from Universal as long as they can. It's sure nice to collect money from your biggest competitor and have some power over what they do.

I think Universal, not Disney, is going to want Marvel out of Islands of Adventure. In fact, I can easily see after Potter is done for Universal's next major project to be a re-do of Marvel Island into Sci-Fi. It shouldn't be a difficult transition and they can use many of their existing sci-fi properties such as cloning the Transformers ride from USH in place of Spider-Man and maybe turning the Hulk into Battlestar Galactica or some other sci-fi property. It could be done in phases and once it's done, Disney would be free to use Marvel at WDW and Universal would be free from Disney's grasp.

Studios Fan

The ball is in Universal's court. Disney is going to sit back and collect royalties from Universal as long as they can. It's sure nice to collect money from your biggest competitor and have some power over what they do.

I think Universal, not Disney, is going to want Marvel out of Islands of Adventure. In fact, I can easily see after Potter is done for Universal's next major project to be a re-do of Marvel Island into Sci-Fi. It shouldn't be a difficult transition and they can use many of their existing sci-fi properties such as cloning the Transformers ride from USH in place of Spider-Man and maybe turning the Hulk into Battlestar Galactica or some other sci-fi property. It could be done in phases and once it's done, Disney would be free to use Marvel at WDW and Universal would be free from Disney's grasp.

I agree. I could see them easily turning it into a Sci-Fi City / Hasbro Island. Instead of Doctor Doom's Fearfall you get Cobra Commander's Fearfall, etc. Also with Transformers at USH supposedly using the same ride system as Spider-man they could replace it as well. I think eventually Disney will try to buyout the deal though.

JT3000

I don't know where people get the idea that Universal just now started paying royalties to Marvel since it's been bought by Disney. They've BEEN paying, and they will continue to do so. Having the Marvel properties in their park while simultaneously keeping them OUT of Disney is worth much more than the royalties.. Disney does not have the upper hand here, folks.

glee

I'm hoping this is in the right forum, but if it isn't, please move it.

As we all know, Disney has acquired Marvel. Now this created a huge anti-trust issue because Disney now can look into Universal's books through its dealings with Marvel. This is now avoided now because of something calling a Chinese Wall, ie, those in charge of WDW cannot see anything related to Marvel and Universal.

However, the contract that Marvel and Universal have will obvious expire eventually. And I've had this discussion with my dad from a purely business perspective, but I'm curious what everybody else thinks. When the contract expires, do you think Disney will let Marvel re-up with Universal? Or do you think Disney has plans to put Marvel into a Disney park? Or will they create their own, dedicated Marvel park?

Now, what makes the most sense to me from a Disney perspective is this: let the Marvel/Universal contract expire. Then create a Marvel world to combat Universal. This puts Universal at a disadvantage in two ways. The first way is that Disney would be opening a shiny new park, which is always a big draw. Secondly, it would leave Universal's Island of Adventure with a GIANT hole where Superhero World currently resides. And while yes, it is already set up for Superheroes, and I'm sure a lot of the rides could be changed over relatively quickly from Marvel to DC if Universal worked out a contract with DC Comics, therein lies the issue. There is only one major comic book company left after Marvel who would have enough superheroes to fill Superhero World, and that's DC. Therefore, DC holds all the cards in that relationship, and could use that as huge leverage in any and all negotiations.

However, I do want to know what other people think, how other people see this panning out. Would you even WANT to see a Marvel park added to WDW? Or would you even want some Marvel themed rides in D:HS? Please chime in, I'm interested. Maybe we can even end up predicting the results before they even happen.

Universal will have some sort of rights to it even though it has been bought out. Disney will possibly take some of the earnings from what is made at universal though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom