Disney - Marvel - Universal

deltableh

Original Poster
I'm hoping this is in the right forum, but if it isn't, please move it.

As we all know, Disney has acquired Marvel. Now this created a huge anti-trust issue because Disney now can look into Universal's books through its dealings with Marvel. This is now avoided now because of something calling a Chinese Wall, ie, those in charge of WDW cannot see anything related to Marvel and Universal.

However, the contract that Marvel and Universal have will obvious expire eventually. And I've had this discussion with my dad from a purely business perspective, but I'm curious what everybody else thinks. When the contract expires, do you think Disney will let Marvel re-up with Universal? Or do you think Disney has plans to put Marvel into a Disney park? Or will they create their own, dedicated Marvel park?

Now, what makes the most sense to me from a Disney perspective is this: let the Marvel/Universal contract expire. Then create a Marvel world to combat Universal. This puts Universal at a disadvantage in two ways. The first way is that Disney would be opening a shiny new park, which is always a big draw. Secondly, it would leave Universal's Island of Adventure with a GIANT hole where Superhero World currently resides. And while yes, it is already set up for Superheroes, and I'm sure a lot of the rides could be changed over relatively quickly from Marvel to DC if Universal worked out a contract with DC Comics, therein lies the issue. There is only one major comic book company left after Marvel who would have enough superheroes to fill Superhero World, and that's DC. Therefore, DC holds all the cards in that relationship, and could use that as huge leverage in any and all negotiations.

However, I do want to know what other people think, how other people see this panning out. Would you even WANT to see a Marvel park added to WDW? Or would you even want some Marvel themed rides in D:HS? Please chime in, I'm interested. Maybe we can even end up predicting the results before they even happen.

palmickey420

i think that when the Marvel-Universal contract expires Disney would, rather than spend billions of dollars in a park that could go down the tube, they would make Universal pay royalties to keep Marvel in the park. but even if Universal loses Marvel they don't have to get DC to replace it. before Marvel Universal had an idea of a sci-fi themed area, so DC doesn't hold the cards.

kerrie

imoif disney allows UVS to keep marvle use they get money that Disney didn have before that they can place twards their own parks and they can still add a marvale area to say DHS. doesnt have to be same charaters. like instead of spider man and hulk use the xman or someone else. this way they are getting rolalties from UVS and getting cash for their oown rides I dont know what UVS has iver been once and frankly not being a rollercoaster fan I cant see spending the money. Also I thought DC was in contracts with six flags.

magic2me

I think that Disney will let the stuff stay at Universal. They will not allow more to be added and will negotiate such that they can put some Marvel stuff into Disney. More boy stuff is needed at Disney.

RoRo

Its funny how since the talk of Harry Potter is bringing up conversation of Disney screwing Universal with the Marvel Island because the amazingness of the Harry Potter land.

I think plans are in the works for a new layover to the Marvel Superhero Island. Universal would be stupid not to.

Avenger117

I'm really hoping that Marvel makes its way into Disney. I'm a HUGE fan of Marvel and Disney and that would be a dream come true.

Its unlikely that Universal would get DC comics if they lost Marvel. DC comics are in the Six flags parks. They have Superman and Batman rides everywhere. At Six Flags over Georgia there is a Gotham City area.

Krack

In my opinion, the smartest thing Disney could do is use a little foresight and start warehousing sets and props from all of these Marvel Studios movies scheduled for the next decade (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Avengers) and use them to completely revitalize the Studio Backlot Tour when the Universal contract expires. Just completely turn it into "Here's how Marvel makes their movies". You can add meet & greets at the end, maybe a shop and a restaurant and turn it into a mini-Marvel land inside DHS.

The Marvel property is too valuable and popular to lease to Universal.

deltableh

Original Poster
In my opinion, the smartest thing Disney could do is use a little foresight and start warehousing sets and props from all of these Marvel Studios movies scheduled for the next decade (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, The Avengers) and use them to completely revitalize the Studio Backlot Tour when the Universal contract expires. Just completely turn it into "Here's how Marvel makes their movies". You can add meet & greets at the end, maybe a shop and a restaurant and turn it into a mini-Marvel land inside DHS.

The Marvel property is too valuable and popular to lease to Universal.

Now that's a wicked idea. Catastrophe Canyon could be the Mk1 Iron Man suit scene from the movie.

SHORTY

My only wish is that Disney doesn't add any Marvel themed rides to it's existing parks. They just wouldn't fit into the Disney theme well.

Avenger117

I disagree, they will have to make it fit. If anything doesn't fit into Disney its Aerosmith. Also Disney has junk properties of its own such as Lilo and Stitch. They can only benefit from the stories and characters that Marvel can offer.

yoda_5729

The person who posted about DC Comics being in Six Flags is correct, but even more so then that, DC Comics is and has been owned by Warner Bros. for several decades. Honestly I think Disney would have preferred DC over Marvel comics if they had both been up for sale, but they weren't.

Though Marvel has headliners that could fit in at Disney, a lot are too violent for routine Walt Disney World. Seeing Mickey Mouse and Superman isn't so bad, but Mickey Mouse and Wolverine or Deadpool just doesn't make sense. But that is just my opinion. I've always seen most of DC characters as more kid friendly, though obviously there are exceptions to that in DC, as well as the opposite in Marvel like Spider-Man and Captain America which are also kid friendly, just fewer in numbers. Also, DC has more famous locations like Metropolis, Gotham City, the Bat Cave, and Paradise Island, or the Justice League Satelitte HQ. Marvel has some cool bases and places like Stark's lab, Baxter Building and X-Mansion, but since Marvel is based on the real world, it doesn't have the cities like Gotham or Metropolis.

Superhero comics are becoming more a teenage market, with Marvel being the most successful, but lots of teenage market type things don't fit as easily into Disney World as widely accepted icons that everyone of any age knows. Also Marvel has a lot of anti-heroes, which some might see as more violent and all. That's not to say Spidey or the X-Men aren't big, they are, but Superman and Batman, and even Wonder Woman are usually the superheroes most others are compared with.

Also Wonder Woman is a princess, though not the typical princess. I think Disney did even one time talk to Warner Bros about it, but Warner Bros is quite happy with Superman, Batman and gang. The only place I could see Marvel going into besides it's own park is in Hollywood Studios, as they already had Mighty Morphing Power Rangers there and all.

I'm honestly excited Marvel characters could be used, and with Disney Imgineering the options are huge, but I don't know where it would go and fit in.

flavious27

disney will keep the license deal with universal as long as they can to keep a steady source of income. a new park will need an intense amount of planning and more planning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom