Disney is moving us out of our Contemporary Reservation!! Bummer!!

KellyPee

My family are annual visitors to the Contemporary. We visit every November and upon return last year, made our reservation. I knew their might be renovations, but was assured there would be no problem. Now, 4 weeks before departure someone calls me and acts like I won the lottery! They are willing to upgrade our party to the Polynesian at no extra charge. If I wanted to stay there I would have booked it! Upon further investigation, she tells me I cannot stay at the Contemporary and that she will help us find another place to stay - probably the Polynesian. They are also not willing to give us any consideration for the inconvience. We are so unhappy. We would cancel if we could. We love the Contemporary and would have not booked this vacation had we been told. Any thoughts? Isn't there someway we can still stay there? Thanks in andvance for any replies.
Kelly

<!-- / message -->

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Not to create a whole new arguement but consider this...

Remember when your mom told you to eat something and you complained about it?? I know I did, but you tried it and liked it.

What I am saying is... Don't knock it until you try it.

If you don't like it then go back to the Contemporary. From what I heard the Polynesian is a pretty neat place. Plus if you miss the Contemporary just take the monorail over and go visit it.

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

First of all: I'm amazed and truly impressed by the way in which people have been able to utter the magical words that are so very rarely seen around here (i.e. "I stand corrected" or "I'm sorry"). I realize that's a condescending sentiment, but seriously - wow! Very cool, guys! I have a huge smile as a result... :)

Finally, Kelly, I understand how you feel. For the first time last February, i actually had to stay somewhere other than Poly because it had priced itself completely out of my price range... The first day, I was pretty miserable. It just didn't feel like "home" to me.

And then... I started to love the WL! And then I got hooked and haven't stayed at the same place since. I now enjoy trying out new places and visiting new resorts. Granted, I have been incredibly fortunate this year and may be able to go four times by the end of the year (Which is :eek: to me as well, trust me!). That may be part of the reason why change is okay for my trips.

All this to say - if you don't get to stay at the Contemporary, you will be disappointed for the first day, but I'm telling you, it's temporary and goes away remarkably quickly once you eat the first cookies n' cream bar and/or see the Castle and/or see Mickey and/or... You get my drift! :lol:

Upvote 0

Iakona

wild01ride,your opening statement that "if this was the worst thing that ever happened in my life" pretty much falls into the life altering category. Kelly never said this was anywhere close to the worst thing that ever happened.

Although many here on the boards consider the Polynesian an upgrade there are those of us that would consider it a downgrade.
My wife and I work hard, save and sacrifice so we can stay at AKL. We have NO interest in staying at the Polynesian. If we were booking a vacation and were told the only place we could stay was the Polynesian we would change our dates so I can absolutely understand Kelly being unhappy. Atrip to WDW for most of us is awhole package and for my family the resort plays a big rolein that escape.

Consider also how she was aproached by Disney. Clever of Disney the way they presented it and I would bet that a lot of people would have jumped at it. However, this time they got someone that had their heart set on the Contemp. and the sales pitch fellflat.

Kelly is not looking for an upgrade. She wants to stay at the Contemp. and asked how shoudl could stay there. Not someone looking for something for nothing.

Kelly, call back and ask for a manager. Be polite, but firm. Rememebr the people you are talking to did not cause this, but they can help solve it. You will not get anywhere being mad, but if you handle it correctly maybe they can find a way to restore you to the Contemp.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

brich

wild01ride said:
As for brich, be it personal vendetta or whatever, please be careful what kind of judgement you cast when preaching on casting judgements.
Personal vendetta? :lol: Ya ok champ. My appologies for hitting your nerve. How silly of me to defend a new poster on here. Won't happen again. :rolleyes:

I think I made a new friend... :D

Upvote 0

shmmrname

I cannot believe how many people have posted with such unsympathetic responses. Yes, it's still WDW, but when is not getting something you've planned, paid, and been promised considered magical?
The "upgrades" offered can sometimes be a great stroke of luck to many, but this doesn't automatically fix the situation.
WDW thrives on the emotions it ellicits. There are plenty of other places you could stay, many for much less, without getting the emotional attachment you wanted when you decided to book your stay.
I find it hard to believe so many people can't understand why a rational alternative can be such a bad thing. WDW isn't supposed to be rational to many of us. It's a dream, magic, vacation, and just about anything but rational.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

shmmrname said:
I cannot believe how many people have posted with such unsympathetic responses.

Some may not be sympathetic. It's a forum, not a group hug session. While I can see how she's disappointed, I also understand why some people didn't sympathize with her problem.

Kelly, I hope you get to stay at the CR. If not, then I hope you can find another Deluxe (AKL, YBC, BW) and try to enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
tigger248 said:
I currently work in guest relations (not at Disney, but guest relations nonetheless) and the number one thing that makes me not want to accomodate someone is when they're demanding and nasty with me.
These are definitely words to live by. Realize that the cast member you are speaking with was not the person that moved your reservation but they are the person that is going to make things right for you to the best of his/her ability. I have found that 99% of the time if you treat the person with kindness and respect you will be well taken care of.

Upvote 0

Erika

wannab@dis said:
Some may not be sympathetic. It's a forum, not a group hug session. While I can see how she's disappointed, I also understand why some people didn't sympathize with her problem.

Kelly, I hope you get to stay at the CR. If not, then I hope you can find another Deluxe (AKL, YBC, BW) and try to enjoy your trip.

I agree :wave:

Some of us don't get to go very often at all. Once every 5 to 10 years is pretty average for a lot of people, so while I do not begrudge others their vacations it is sometimes hard to dredge up a great deal of sympathy among all that envy. However, I do understand disappointment at changed plans. What can I say... it happens... we've all been through it.

Go, stay at the Polynesian, and have fun. Don't cancel your vacation. Traditions are nice and all but sometimes they bog us down so much we never get to really experience anything. :)

Upvote 0

brich

TAC said:
Yes, I do. As has been previously posted by others, people are human. What if the original CM who did her booking told her "there won't be a problem" said that based on what information that CM had at the time. Most people who book a room or book a hotel (in general - non Disney) based upon what they can afford to pay. If you arrive at the desk to check in, and you are told, "Sorry we cannot give you your room, we'll have to give you a suite instead." what would you do? Tell them, "No thanks. I'm cancelling!" ?
I'm not saying people or CMs aren't human. I really don't want to make this more than its is. I'm simply defending Kelly's right to be upset about the situation. She has a right, based on what she was led to believe when she made the reservation, to be unhappy, to not feel a Poly room is comparable and to feel as if Disney should understand her position. I keep seeing posts about her taking a gamble and she should be thankful for what she has... Great, y'all entitled to your opinions and those diverse opinions are why I spend hours on this site. BUT, in one thread I see the arguement that Disney IS customer service and Disney does for it's guests what no other would do. And then we get, well CM's are human and Disney can make mistakes...Thats goes without saying. But when a CM makes a statement, as a representitive of the Disney company, Disney is held accountable for that statement. They hired that CM to represent their company. So would it not be in Disney's best interest to live up to the above perceived reputation that we all boast about and try to appease said guest? They made an error in saying the refurb would not affect the ressie. Wasn't the case. Disney made an honest and very respectible effort to rectify the situation with a generous consolation. The resolution was not seen by Kelly as being comparable. She has that right. Disney has met their obligation but it is not what the guest feels is enough. It's really no more than that... :)

TAC said:
I doubt that most hotels would allow a guest to stay anywhere close to the area of a rehab.

Maybe kelly should just camp out in the lobby of the Contemporary.
So would I. I did not say she would be staying in a room next to the rehab area. Simply saying that maybe her perception of resort rehab would be workers working at the resort. :cool:

Camping in the lobby eh :rolleyes:

4th and long....I'm punting... :D

Upvote 0

brich

Master Yoda said:
These are definitely words to live by. Realize that the cast member you are speaking with was not the person that moved your reservation but they are the person that is going to make things right for you to the best of his/her ability. I have found that 99% of the time if you treat the person with kindness and respect you will be well taken care of.
Amen :king:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
shmmrname said:
I cannot believe how many people have posted with such unsympathetic responses. Yes, it's still WDW, but when is not getting something you've planned, paid, and been promised considered magical?
The "upgrades" offered can sometimes be a great stroke of luck to many, but this doesn't automatically fix the situation.
WDW thrives on the emotions it ellicits. There are plenty of other places you could stay, many for much less, without getting the emotional attachment you wanted when you decided to book your stay.
I find it hard to believe so many people can't understand why a rational alternative can be such a bad thing. WDW isn't supposed to be rational to many of us. It's a dream, magic, vacation, and just about anything but rational.
You have to understand that their are many people that have their point of view and that is it, hence not understanding a problem that a person has with a particular situation that would not be a problem for them. If I was in the same situation it more than likely would not be a problem for me but I could imagine a set of circumstances that it could become one. If I had reservations at CR and had a number of plans made around that resort (such a AR at CM, CG etc.) I could conceivably have a problem with a move to the Poly. Most people would think "What is the difference the resorts are next door to each other" while this is true it does not take much to make going from one resort to the other a nightmare. Last August I was attending a convention at CR and my room was at the Poly...no big deal just take the monorail. First day of the convention I needed to be at the CR at 7:00 so I went to get on the monorail at 6:00 but the monorail was down. I was told to take the boat to MK and walk to the CR. I get to the boat launch just in time to see the boat leaving the dock. I notice the ferry pulling in at the TTC so I truck it over there and arrive just in time to watch it leave. Long story short I finally arrive at CR at 7:30. If I had AR at CG set up to coincide with Wishes I would have been quite distraught.

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

Erika said:
I agree :wave:

Some of us don't get to go very often at all. Once every 5 to 10 years is pretty average for a lot of people, so while I do not begrudge others their vacations it is sometimes hard to dredge up a great deal of sympathy among all that envy. However, I do understand disappointment at changed plans. What can I say... it happens... we've all been through it.

Go, stay at the Polynesian, and have fun. Don't cancel your vacation. Traditions are nice and all but sometimes they bog us down so much we never get to really experience anything. :)
BoR!

Upvote 0

righttrack

Key is this. Get them to put you up in a monorail resort, like The Contemporary. Make sure you get a room upgrade that is 2 categories above what you had at the Contemporary. For example, if you had booked Standard, Garden Room at the contemp, get Pool View, Conceriege, at the other resort. Conceriege, IMO is the best "perk" at any hotel/resort. It adds so much convinience.

Upvote 0

spoodles

Guys, isn't this getting out of hand?

KellyPee said:
Any thoughts? Isn't there someway we can still stay there?<!-- / message -->

Doesn't sound to me like she was looking for people to agree with her, or to comment on her story, so much as she was seeking advice on the best way to make sure they get to stay at the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

spoodles said:

Doesn't sound to me like she was looking for people to agree with her, or to comment on her story, so much as she was seeking advice on the best way to make sure they get to stay at the Contemporary.
If she's trying to stay in a resort under rehab and has been told she can't stay there, what can we do about it for her? Isn't she better off talking this out with a rep on the phone at Disney?

Upvote 0

spoodles

SpongeScott said:
If she's trying to stay in a resort under rehab and has been told she can't stay there, what can we do about it for her? Isn't she better off talking this out with a rep on the phone at Disney?
A perfectly legitimate answer, that does nothing to invalidate my point -- she's not looking for open comments, sympathy, a debate over which hotel is better, and so on, and on, and on...

Upvote 0

LesaGirlWalton

spoodles said:

Getting? I think it's already gotten way out of hand but it has been relatively entertaining for "bored at work" people like myself. I think I'm ready to go back to trying to decide between breakfast or dinner with Cinderella. My official 2006 Unofficial Guide just came in the mail as well so I'm off to my book.

Kelly, best wishes on your situation. Maybe I'll win the lottery between now and my Disney trip and I'll pay for both our families to stay in the dang castle itself. LOL After all, as one poster said............. in this life you get what you pay for.

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

KellyPee said:
My family are annual visitors to the Contemporary. We visit every November and upon return last year, made our reservation. I knew their might be renovations, but was assured there would be no problem. Now, 4 weeks before departure someone calls me and acts like I won the lottery! They are willing to upgrade our party to the Polynesian at no extra charge. If I wanted to stay there I would have booked it! Upon further investigation, she tells me I cannot stay at the Contemporary and that she will help us find another place to stay - probably the Polynesian. They are also not willing to give us any consideration for the inconvience. We are so unhappy. We would cancel if we could. We love the Contemporary and would have not booked this vacation had we been told. Any thoughts? Isn't there someway we can still stay there? Thanks in andvance for any replies.
Kelly

<!-- / message -->
Kelly, we can't help you here since it's under rehab. Perhaps you would be better served by contacting Disney directly with your request.

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

^^^
is that better?

Sarcastic, yes, but perhaps the whole thread could have been avoided with an answer like this in the beginning.

Have a magical day! :wave:
spoodles said:
A perfectly legitimate answer, that does nothing to invalidate my point -- she's not looking for open comments, sympathy, a debate over which hotel is better, and so on, and on, and on...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom