Disney is moving us out of our Contemporary Reservation!! Bummer!!

KellyPee

My family are annual visitors to the Contemporary. We visit every November and upon return last year, made our reservation. I knew their might be renovations, but was assured there would be no problem. Now, 4 weeks before departure someone calls me and acts like I won the lottery! They are willing to upgrade our party to the Polynesian at no extra charge. If I wanted to stay there I would have booked it! Upon further investigation, she tells me I cannot stay at the Contemporary and that she will help us find another place to stay - probably the Polynesian. They are also not willing to give us any consideration for the inconvience. We are so unhappy. We would cancel if we could. We love the Contemporary and would have not booked this vacation had we been told. Any thoughts? Isn't there someway we can still stay there? Thanks in andvance for any replies.
Kelly

<!-- / message -->

brich

wannab@dis said:
She said that she had advance knowledge of renovations... she took a chance...
Whoa, she said, "I knew their might be renovations, but was assured there would be no problem. "
I see the word "MIGHT", so the potential was there but nothing conclusive. She also states that she was assured there would be no problem... I don't see this as a chance, do you?
My guess is worst case scenario, she has some dust, renovation walls and some daytime tool noise. It appears that she was given assurance that there would be no problem. So maybe the cheery CM who was all excited about the Poly upgrade was the CM that said there would be no problem. I guess we need to clarify our perception of what a "problem" would be. To me, a room at the Poly would not be a problem. To the CM/Disney, an 'upgrade' to the Poly would not be a problem. To Kelly, losing her room at the Contemporary, it's a problem. interpretation is a mysterious word. :D

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

paying customers

I see a few people are against you complaining more about this.

What your getting is not an upgrade, both hotels are equals.
They want to shuffle you around because of there mistake.
If you really want the hotel they can easily move someone else.

You had a reservation, period. They need to honor it. It is not a bad thing that all you want it what you asked for. They knew way in advance they were doing renovations. Why make too many reservations when they knew.

They were covering there butts to make sure if anyone did cancel there hotel would be full, dont let them or anyone here make you feel you are being unreasonable.

My two cents.

Thanks

Scott

Upvote 0

tn1999

I must weigh in on this...

My family too had CREATED A TRADITION of staying at the CONTEMPORARY, specifically during the holidays. I can not begin to explain why my family and I love the Contemporary so much (when so many dont see its magic, its appeal, etc - and even put it down on occasion), but I will always have a place in my heart for the Contemporary. It was the first place we stayed on our first trip. After studying Birmbaum's we just felt it would be our best option (this is in 1994). So that is Kelly's motivation... continuing her tradition.

P.S. - Im in the Vacation Club now.. so no more Contemporary. Kelly.. you should look into it!!!

P.S.S - imagine my excitement when I heard the RUMORS (that didnt come ture) that they were turning the Contemporary East and West wings into Vaction Club....

Upvote 0

swimmom

Laura22 said:
But anyway, it doesn't matter if you're in a deluxe resort or a value resort. When something unexpected completely changes your plans you have a good reason to feel disappointed. But the thing is, if you realize that there's nothing you can do to change the circumstances, just try to find the positives about your new options. For example, there's nothing better in the world than laying in a hammock on the beach of the Polynesian and watching the fireworks. And the Polynesian is also the only resort with direct transportation to both Epcot and Magic Kingdom via monorail.
That's exactly how I feel. You have planned your trip and made your choices and to have them changed by something beyond your control is disappointing.

My suggestion to the OP is to see if there is any possible way that you could keep your reservation at CR. If that is unsuccessful, then I would take them up on the room at the Polynesian since that would be better than not going to WDW at all.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

I know I'd be ticked off if I had a ressie at the Contemporary and they tried to move me. I understand the OP's frustration. To someone who loves the Contemporary, the Polynesian doesn't quite cut it. For some people, the hotel is a big part of their vacation. For some people it isn't. Different strokes. But it's clear that to the OP, their choice of hotel is important.

You can always try telling them that you'd really rather not move and see how that goes. Otherwise, if you move to the Poly, make sure you're getting a lagoon view of the MK if you had booked Tower at the Contemp. Think about the Wilderness Lodge, though. It's very peaceful and beautiful. Smaller rooms and no monorail, but it is a really nice resort.

Sorry this had to happen to you. :(

Upvote 0

spoodles

wannab@dis said:
Sure, she has the right to be upset. But others have the right to be upset with her stance. Some poeple save for a long time to get one vacation and would be happy staying in a shed out back. I can understand why they see her post as a little spoiled and childish.
I get that, and opinions are what the forums are for. But you can disagree with someone without being nasty.

I'd take:
"Personally, I'd be happy staying in a shed out back. :wave: "

Over:
"Stop complaining about your deluxe accommodations!"

Anywho, can anyone offer advice? She just wants to know what the best course of action is to ensure that they get to stay at the Contemporary. This type of question is usually met with helpful responses from the experts, which is I'm sure what she was hoping for rather than a debate over her stance.

PS - I see now that some advice is rolling in, that's my WDWMAGIC. :kiss:
Sorry this post was ready 2 hours ago but had to wait cause our cable went down!

Upvote 0

KellyPee

Original Poster
Much more than I bargained for....

First thanks to the people (Brich) who supported me in my stance. Secondly, let me stress the fact that no, I am not a spoiled, crybaby. We have a family tradition and we work hard and save for it every year. I was told - outright that the construction would not affect my stay. How is that a gamble? I realize not everyone can stay at the Contemporary Tower and some people are happy just to be off-site somewhere clean that they can rest for 6 hours and they all think I should consider myself lucky just to go and stop complaining......well, I am grateful that we get to enjoy WDW every year and I always have a magical time, but I do not understand the harshness of some of the posts. I am sure everyone has a place that they like to stay - could be Polynesian could be Animal Kingdom...whatever! That is their choice...why knock me for having a distinct favorite and making it a tradition! I do not enjoy the Polynesian. Some people think I am also lucky for the "upgrade". I realize it is an upgrade $$$ wise, but if I wanted the Polynesian, don't you think I would have booked it? All I was looking for was some ideas on how to stay at the resort of my choice - since it seemed like everyone here had tons of Disney experience. I do not expect some great upgrade, nor did I say I did. All I thought is that they should offer something for changing us to a hotel that we did not like. We still have to pay $385 plus tax a night for a room we didn't want in the first place. Why is it that hard for people to understand that we are disappointed?

Most importantly, we will go and stay where they place us and have a wonderful time.

Thanks again to the people who understand and offered advice.

Upvote 0

DisneyMissy

I have never stayed on site and my upcoming trip will be the first, I am thankful I can stay at Pop. I am very happy for anyone who has the means to stay in deluxe accomodations. I also won't be spending much time at my hotel so....

Anyway, since I haven't had to deal with Disney accomodations as of yet, I will offer a suggestion that may help. Try calling back and speaking to a manager or a supervisor, be very polite and state that you really do not prefer to be moved and is there any possible way you can still stay in the Contemporary. Maybe this will help you.

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
KellyPee said:
Most importantly, we will go and stay where they place us and have a wonderful time.

That's a great way to look at it. :)

I hope to someday stay at the Contemporary - it's been a dream of mine since I was a kid! I know if I were in your shoes, I would be immensely disappointed at the change of resort.

Upvote 0

coltow

Something like this just happened to me on Monday. I had reserved All Star Movies requesting the Toy Story bldg because my son is addicted to Buzz and Woody. Reservations made an error with my friends reservation and in order for us all to stay together in 1 resort we needed to change. They also would not give me anything for our trouble. They wouldn't even upgrade us to a prefered room instead of a standard. I was disapointed but I'm just happy we figured this out before we got there.

Upvote 0

Uponastar

KellyPee said:
First thanks to the people (Brich) who supported me in my stance. Secondly, let me stress the fact that no, I am not a spoiled, crybaby. We have a family tradition and we work hard and save for it every year. I was told - outright that the construction would not affect my stay. How is that a gamble? I realize not everyone can stay at the Contemporary Tower and some people are happy just to be off-site somewhere clean that they can rest for 6 hours and they all think I should consider myself lucky just to go and stop complaining......well, I am grateful that we get to enjoy WDW every year and I always have a magical time, but I do not understand the harshness of some of the posts. I am sure everyone has a place that they like to stay - could be Polynesian could be Animal Kingdom...whatever! That is their choice...why knock me for having a distinct favorite and making it a tradition! I do not enjoy the Polynesian. Some people think I am also lucky for the "upgrade". I realize it is an upgrade $$$ wise, but if I wanted the Polynesian, don't you think I would have booked it? All I was looking for was some ideas on how to stay at the resort of my choice - since it seemed like everyone here had tons of Disney experience. I do not expect some great upgrade, nor did I say I did. All I thought is that they should offer something for changing us to a hotel that we did not like. We still have to pay $385 plus tax a night for a room we didn't want in the first place. Why is it that hard for people to understand that we are disappointed?

Thanks again to the people who understand and offered advice.

Kelly, as I said in my original post, I believe it is all relative. I think most of us saw "Polynesian" and wondered what is she complaining about? Speaking for myself, I know that if any part of my WDW plans were unexpectedly changed you'd have to tie me to a chair. I would be that nuts. I should have realized that your plans were just as important to you. Again, I apologize.
Having said that, I wouldn't let this go at this point. Get on the phone and don't take no for an answer! The least you deserve is some compassion for having a family tradition compromised. Keep trying till you get some!

Lastly, don't give up on us here!:p We're full of opinions but most of us are pretty nice.

Knock 'em dead, Kelly! Let us know how you make out!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Uponastar said:
Kelly, as I said in my original post, I believe it is all relative. I think most of us saw "Polynesian" and wondered what is she complaining about? Speaking for myself, I know that if any part of my WDW plans were unexpectedly changed you'd have to tie me to a chair. I would be that nuts. I should have realized that your plans were just as important to you. Again, I apologize.
Having said that, I wouldn't let this go at this point. Get on the phone and don't take no for an answer! The least you deserve is some compassion for having a family tradition compromised. Keep trying till you get some!

Lastly, don't give up on us here!:p We're full of opinions but most of us are pretty nice.

Knock 'em dead, Kelly! Let us know how you make out!
yeah - what she said!

Upvote 0

chris70785

Kelly,
I would call and see if there is anyway possible that your ressie at the Contemporary can be honored (maybe you will need to go up the chain-of-command and tell them about your family tradition). In the meantime maybe you and your family can start deciding on an alternative resort that you all would like to stay at. If it turns out that it will not be possible for you to stay at the Contemporary, then you can ask Disney "if you cannot honor my Contemporary ressie then how about the BW, AKL, WL" or whatever resort would be your 2nd choice. Also, let Disney know that the Polynesian resort is not to your liking.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

KellyPee

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for understanding. I couldn't believe some of those other posts...."stop complaining about my deluxe accomodations!" It's not like we are not paying for them! We save up too. And the family tradition was an important factor that not many people considered or cared about. All I wanted was some advice from Disney people that know their stuff.

I'm glad to know there are nice and reasonable people here to chat with - I was ready to bolt!

Upvote 0

Cliffordsmon

I understand your situation. Back in the early '90's I tried to book at the CR for my son's first trip and was told that it was full but they had room at their new resort The Yacht Club. I was never so disappointed in my life. I booked that room but still felt like the trip would not be as special if he got to stay at CR.

To this day I still am grateful that we were bumped over the Yacht Club. It wasn't the CR but better!!!!.

I have stayed in all of the WDW hotels now except AKL and I can say that you won't be disappointed for long. Each hotel is Magical and opens you up to new adventures and experiences.

Good luck to you!

Upvote 0

LesaGirlWalton

KellyPee said:
Thanks for understanding. I couldn't believe some of those other posts...."stop complaining about my deluxe accomodations!" It's not like we are not paying for them! We save up too. And the family tradition was an important factor that not many people considered or cared about. All I wanted was some advice from Disney people that know their stuff.

I'm glad to know there are nice and reasonable people here to chat with - I was ready to bolt!

Wow did I start a flurry of unnecessary crud...... I do truly apologize. I wish I had had time to check back earlier and realize what an assanine thing I had said. Perhaps it was a tinge of jealousy; having no traditions, not being able to afford the CR or the Poly, and being so crazily excited about the fact that I'll finally get to see what I've heard about after all these years. I'm not making excuses for my idiocy just my first thought was how could anyone be discouraged about something so trivial. Thank you for the poster who quoted my comment and replied "wouldn't I be disappointed if my envisioned trip don't go as planned." It was a well needed wake up call.

Kelly, I do apologize for my comments and I stand humbled. We're never too old to relearn the lesson: Think before you speak.

I wish you the best of luck!

Upvote 0

wild01ride

brich said:
Can you show me where in the original post it said that this was a life altering inconvenience?
Well, if it is something worth cancelling thousands of dollars worth of reservations over, then, in my book, that's sorta life altering.

brich said:
I'll bet she is very thankful in what she has but at the same time, she is completely entitled to be disappointed. How long does she save for her trips? What inconveniences does she endure to make a WDW trip possible? You don't know, do you.
Well, I do know that taking a vacation is a luxury, and specifically, being able to afford to go to WDW is a luxury. I can imagine what kind of inconveniences one might endure to be able to stay at the Contemporary annually, but at the same time, you cannot know any more than I do what she endures to make a judgement the other way.

brich said:
So how convenient of you to make the poster out to be some ungrateful person who has no regard for others.:
Hey pal, if you're gonna preach, at least pay attention to what you're talking about. If you read what my post actually says, I didn't make out anyone to be ungrateful or make any judgement as to her regard for others. As a matter of fact, I tried to be cordial with the please and thank-you's and simply stated that no matter what, she'll be in the "place Where Magic Lives."

brich said:
We are all thankful we can share WDW with each other. We are all thankful we can go. But some of us work a little bit harder to get certain things. Some of us make greater sacrifices for certain things.
Once again, who's making a judgement on whom here? So basically, out of my suggestion of being appreciative, you somehow make the conclusion that I do not have to work or sacrifice to be able to go to WDW?? If we want to start talking about personal attacks, what does that mean? I never judged character, and you are telling someone that other people are working harder than them to be able to go. Sorry, but that's certainly not the way that it has worked out for me.
There are people who could give up food and shelter and still not have enough to afford a trip to WDW. It's all relative! In general, anyone who can annually afford to vacation at WDW and stay at the Contemporary may not necessarily be sacrificing the same as someone who stays in a tent at Fort Wilderness once in a lifetime. But regardless, it's all a matter of what you want and what's important. I saved for a long time to take the only cruise I've been on in my lifetime and could only work something out to go for three nights. And let me tell you, when the Vacation Planning Video says every Disney cruise ends at Castaway Cay, they meant every one but mine! But you know...so what? I had an experience of a lifetime and I don't regret a thing.

brich said:
We, as annoymous posters, have no idea about these things so why call someone out on it? :rolleyes:
You're absolutely right- I have no idea what the OP's personal financial situation is or anything of the sort. Quite honestly, I don't care. If you can imagine "just for a moment," :animwink: that my point is not about who has to do what to get something...seriously man, just look at the big picture. Maybe this is a huge disappointment for the OP'er. OK, I am a fanatic about WDW and get so geked up in anticipation of going, but when I respond to someone who has double posted in two different places the same thing saying "we are all so unhappy"..."we never would have booked"..."is there someway we can still stay there?"

Kelly, if you've made it this far, no disrespect to you, honest to gosh! I hope that your family can make the best of a vacation that didn't turn out quite as planned. But hey, in the end, open mindedness is the name of the game. Life's too short, honestly. My three day cruise which missed one of it's days because of inclement weather was still great. Enjoy the World in whatever way you can.

As for brich, be it personal vendetta or whatever, please be careful what kind of judgement you cast when preaching on casting judgements.

"I only hope we never lose sight of one thing: That it was all started by a mouse!"

:wave:

Upvote 0

tigger248

I understand your disappointment, yet I'm one of those who would just be happy to go (even if it meant sleeping in the backseat of my corolla...not fun or comfy for a 6 footer :lookaroun ). My trip got canceled this year and it'll be at least a year before I even have a minute chance to go (stupid new car payments making me not afford WDW! :brick: ).

However, if you really feel strongly on the issue of being moved (which it sounds like you do) then perhaps it would be best to plead your case. Don't go in with any expectations because they may not be able to accomodate your request. Construction can be tricky. Perhaps a year ago, they didn't anticipate construction being where it is. Perhaps something's unstable and the area you're booked for is unsafe. There has to be a logical reason as to why they would move your reservation.

I'd recommend politely asking for a manager and letting him/her know about your dissatisfaction. It may or may not help, but it's worth a shot. If they can't keep you at the Contemporary, and you really don't want to stay at Polynesian, perhaps ask for another resort to be moved to. Of course it will depend on availability, but again it's worth a shot. I'm sure they chose Polynesian because it's also on the monorail line and is the closest to the Contemporary price and category wise. An upgrade may or may not be in store. Wait and see what is offered.

But, I wouldn't expect any upgrades nor would I ask for them. If they are offered, great. If not, then at least you tried. I would not advise taking the below advice, though:

MJL said:
This issue is SIMPLE as far as Im concerned. You booked the CR ... Disney cant deliver. You DEMAND a full refund, plain and simple.

You can then take that refund and spend it how every you want (whether it be Poly or All Stars or postpone your trip, it should be YOUR choice)

I currently work in guest relations (not at Disney, but guest relations nonetheless) and the number one thing that makes me not want to accomodate someone is when they're demanding and nasty with me. The same goes for my manager (who has a hospitality management degree, so he definitely knows what he's doing). I know that you're disappointed and perhaps feeling a bit angry and frustrated. Just remember that the cast members do care about your stay and will try to remedy the situation as best they can. They'll work with you as long as you work with them.

PS: Sorry for the long post! Hopefully some of what is in this thread will help you. Regardless of what happens, enjoy your vacation! Even if you end up at the Poly, I'm sure the good will far out weigh the bad. Don't let this ruin your trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom