Disney IS Hireing. Currenty rates of pay enclosed.

captcanada

WDWKat26 said:
Thanks Sapphire!!! :wave:

And for all the people who think that Characters don't make enough, yeah it's true we don't. BUT, when I went to casting to apply for entertainment, and since I started the job, it has been 100% because I have wanted to do it for so long, not because of the money. Coming from NY I was making well over $8 an hour, but I hated my job. I only make 6.95 as a friend of Pluto's, but I love what I do and that matters so much more. In NY I could barely work 5 hours, because i'd want to pull my hair out after that. With Disney, I can work 10 hours easy.

That does sound dreamy :)
I wish I worked at Disney World. Oh, how much I would love that.
Ah well, Maybe one day they'll build one here (yeah, right. I can see it now. "Arctic Disney". A guy can dream though).

tecowdw

WDWKat26 said:
Thanks Sapphire!!! :wave:

And for all the people who think that Characters don't make enough, yeah it's true we don't. BUT, when I went to casting to apply for entertainment, and since I started the job, it has been 100% because I have wanted to do it for so long, not because of the money. Coming from NY I was making well over $8 an hour, but I hated my job. I only make 6.95 as a friend of Pluto's, but I love what I do and that matters so much more. In NY I could barely work 5 hours, because i'd want to pull my hair out after that. With Disney, I can work 10 hours easy.
That's fantastic! And it's the CM's like you that we applaud the most (and might be a bit jealous of). Thank you, Pluto's friend!!
:sohappy:

DigitalDisney

How about the wages for the next level up? Also, what about the benefits of being a CM? I'm sure CMs have benefits other hourly employees can only dream of...

Isn't Disney one of those companies where, for the most part, all of the higher level employees were once CMs in the parks?

I'd like to think that the majority of CMs are there because they like what they do. They certainly aren't there because of all the riches they'll acquire while working there. There are definately higher paying jobs right down the road, but they aren't as prestigious as WDW's jobs.

If it's something you really enjoy doing, the wages don't matter so much. I'd work for peanuts if I could be an imagineer or a roller coaster designer. For some people, this is a very similar situation.

hthbellhop

Back in 2000 when I did the College Program, I made $5.50/hr in attractions...but we all made the same no matter what we did. At the time, I didn't really care how much money I was making, I just loved working and living there. They were smart and took our housing money straight out of our paychecks...which I now realize was a HUGE ripoff...LOL.
The benefits we got were GREAT! Free admission to the parks, discounts at the water parks and all other Disney property. We got 50% off of resort hotel rooms for family and friends. We got free Disney tickets and 20% off merchandise. We got into PI Mondays and Saturdays for free. Around Christmastime, we got a nice little coupon book for things like free park photos, free meals, more hopper tickets for friends and family...
It was most definately a great job, but any friends I have left there only work part-time or seasonal and have another job.
Now that I just graduated college, I had a brief thought of going back to work at Disney. After thinking about all of this though, I REALLY appreciate my current job that i've had for about a year, at which I make about $25/hr, and after all this time in college, I'm gonna find myself a job in my field!
Anyways, working at Disney changed my life. I went back to college, changed my major, got a GREAT internship at a TV show (because of having Disney on my resume). For anyone still in college...i HIGHLY recommend the WDWCP!

DonaldD1987

I never realize that they got paid so little. They must REALLY lvoe their jobs. Thank you for the greeat service and fun. Keep up the good work!!!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If you work 40+ hours a week while still qualifying for Government Aid and you keep this job... you must truly love it.

Me... I'll continue enjoying the parks as a guest.

fiftiesdean

I wonder how much the projectionists (I'm sure they are part of imagineering) make. That is my dream job, has always been since I started working in a projection booth. I have to admit, Disney's presentation (even on Soarin' dirty lens) has gone down a bit....

labattpark

lawyergirl77 said:
Wow! Thank you so much for all of the information!!!!!!!!! I'm glad to hear that things aren't as bad as they sounded...

But no matter what, a great big THANK YOU to all of the CMs who truly are the heart and soul of WDW, and the reason why Magic lives there!

Not as bad as it sounded??? These wages are absolutely disgraceful for 2005, even with the benefits. Talk about exploitation.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
How long are the shifts?? I know standing on your feet all day can be exhausting especially in the heat! I don't think I would like to work in the retail shops because it seems like they are ALWAYS busy, non-stop! The easiest CM job would probably be where they give a short talk before the presentation like at the Hall of Presidents and American Adventure....they're in the A/C all day and it's not a stressful job IMO. I wouldn't want to do it though...don't like talking in front of people. :zipit: :animwink:

OmegaKnight

ksccar said:
How long are the shifts?? I know standing on your feet all day can be exhausting especially in the heat! I don't think I would like to work in the retail shops because it seems like they are ALWAYS busy, non-stop! The easiest CM job would probably be where they give a short talk before the presentation like at the Hall of Presidents and American Adventure....they're in the A/C all day and it's not a stressful job IMO. I wouldn't want to do it though...don't like talking in front of people. :zipit: :animwink:
Full time CM's can work a maximum of 40 hours a week while part timers can work a maximum of 24 hours a week. I work 5 days a week and am full time so on average, my shifts are between 7-8 hours long. No one ever gets their full allotment of hours per week, except with those with the most seniority (i.e., those who have been with the company the longest.)

Sapphire

OmegaKnight said:
Full time CM's can work a maximum of 40 hours a week while part timers can work a maximum of 24 hours a week. I work 5 days a week and am full time so on average, my shifts are between 7-8 hours long. No one ever gets their full allotment of hours per week, except with those with the most seniority (i.e., those who have been with the company the longest.)

Unless you are in Entertainment...it's not unheard of to work 6 and 7 days. In fact it's usually the norm. When I was at the Studios I worked 6 days a weeks for over a year, and that was scheduled! Durring the summer (and other peak seasons) it's typical for someone to work a breakfast shift all the way through spectro at MK. When I was at MK I'd have shifts from 7am until 12am...and when you have rehearsals, your schedule can get really crazy!!

Tinkerbell1220

I am a former cast member myself and I have to say that the way current cast members are paid is low and the thing is that they dont need to raise the wage that much. If Disney was willing to push the attraction CM wage up to 8.00 dollars an hour it would mean a loss of money in the short term but definitely a raise in money in the long term. If Disney were to raise salaries to a level where people could live well if not spectacularly then their would be less turnover, Disney wouldnt have to spend as much in getting labor which would then save them money in the long run. Also Disney needs to rely slightly less on the CP program. While I was on the program for a year and I enjoyed it I was quite dismayed at what happened when I extended my program and things fell apart.

There was one day that I worked at Disney MGM that their wasnt enough people to run the Rock N Roller Coaster for the first few hours of the day because all of the CP's had finished their program. This kind of problem causes guests to get upset, who then rethink their thoughts about returning and henceforth dont spend more money at the parks. This is the type of thing that should never happen at Disney, a show or ride should only be closed if its unsafe or if its under scheduled refurbishment. Lack of labor is not a viable excuse in my eyes. In the end all that most of the Disney CM's want is to be shown that their worth a little bit extra, if they were told that they might have to lose some of their park benefits and what not to get a larger salary they would gladly do it. I can tell you one thing if I was getting paid 8.00 an hour, I would still be working their right now. Instead I am looking for a job with the Equity actors.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
As far as the "next level up" is concerned, you have Office and Technical/support (Disney Reservation Centers, Clerical, mostly backstaghe stuff)

Their starting wage for a low-end job is $8.65 an hour - but lots of them are comission/incentive based pay.

WeLComeHomE OKW

hthbellhop said:
Back in 2000 when I did the College Program, I made $5.50/hr in attractions...but we all made the same no matter what we did. At the time, I didn't really care how much money I was making, I just loved working and living there. ...I went back to college, changed my major, got a GREAT internship at a TV show (because of having Disney on my resume). For anyone still in college...i HIGHLY recommend the WDWCP!

Hthbellhop, I really want to do the college program next year, how does it all work? how can you apply...and what is the living situation like? Any information on all this would be greatly appreciated. Ive had my eyes on American Vybe for a while.... :rolleyes:

WDWKat26

WeLComeHomE OKW: There is a section on the board for people who are interested in working at Disney, and there are NUMEROUS posts there which include a lot of info about living conditions, roles, etc.

barnum42

WeLComeHomE OKW said:
Hthbellhop, I really want to do the college program next year, how does it all work? how can you apply...and what is the living situation like? Any information on all this would be greatly appreciated. Ive had my eyes on American Vybe for a while.... :rolleyes:
I would doubt (but have no facts to back this up) American Vybe is cast from CP members. If you go to www.waltdisneyworld.com, there is a casting section that gives requirements for various performance roles. If memory serves it may also let you know when and where they do castings.

its_my_friday

To address multiple questions:

I believe that all hourly roles are unionized in some way, except jobs designated Office and Technical - Disney for hourly-administrative. Salaried CM's are definitley not unionized. I also know that College Programmers are not unionized.

Most of the positions at Disney do not pay as well as in the outside world. I knew of a couple managers that had night jobs. With full-time, there is no technical maximum you can work as far as hours. I knew some cast that would work over 100 hours in a week. Anything over 40 hours in a week is overtime and you must have at least 8 hours inbetween shifts, or else you get paid doubletime. That happens frequently during peak seasons. You will also get paid overtime for your sixth or seventh day. Many CM's do work second jobs, even college programmers.

Raises - Office and Technical and Salaried Cast are given raises annually based on their performance. There is a whole process that involves reports and keeping records of what you do, etc. It is pretty complicated, but I believe the raise can be up to 5%. In the Office and Technical positions, you can also get a raise, in addition to the performance raise, if sanctioned by the very high-ups in your department. It is true that you can "top-out" but I am not sure how that applies in the O & T world.

The benefits are actually excellent in my opinion. You are offered a whole health benefits package, to include dental and eyes. Life insurance is also offered. All of these at a reasonable cost. Stock options and 401k's are also available, I know for Office and Technical and Salaried. Like I said, the benefits are pretty exceptional. That is of course in addition to the park perks. Disney also has their own Cast recreation area that has a lake and a pool that Cast can use at no charge.

One thing is sure. Disney likes to promote from within. A few years ago I think there was a 70% internal promotion rate, which means only 30% of the people they hired for O&T or salaried roles were from outside the company. Almost all of the managers have at one point been an hourly cast member. I try to think of working for Disney as a long term stock - you have to ride it out in order to make any profit. In other words, you may have to be in an hourly role making $6.30 for a year or so before you begin to move up.

Hope this helps!

Thelazer

Original Poster
Projectionists fall under the eng dept, not imaganeering. Most of Eng gets paid quite well.

Security starts around $7.80

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom