1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Hong Kong to get Iron Man Ride...

Discussion in 'Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai' started by phi2134, Oct 8, 2013.

1. phi2134

phi2134 Well-Known Member

mahnamahna101 and cheezbat like this.
  2. BigThunderMatt

BigThunderMatt Well-Known Member

Looks and sounds like a retooled version of Star Tours. If they use the same dated flight simulator technology I'll just laugh. You have a veritable gold mine and you resort to a ride system that's been in use at Disney parks since the 80s? What a joke. Spider-Man it is not.

phruby, Sped2424, jdmdisney99 and 4 others like this.
  3. Sue_Vongello

Sue_Vongello Well-Known Member

How are they building an E ticket for 100 million?! Didn't the Tangled Restrooms cost more than that?!

4. Lee

Lee Adventurer

Well...it kinda is. Star Tours 3.0.
    A few upgrades, but not anything groundbreaking.

And it's not the ride system that was planned for Disneyland (before Star Wars decided to take over Tomorrowland).

5. TubaGeek

TubaGeek God bless the "Ignore" button.

Transformers cost 100 mil, but, for some reason, Disney projects cost a lot more. The Little Mermaid attraction alone cost more than the entirety of Wizarding World of HP.
    Still, this better be one hell of a motion simulator..

6. afar28

afar28 Well-Known Member

100 mill for this?? Disney sure loves burning through money and overspending when they decide to build something

7. |Q|

|Q| Active Member

Uhm, I find it pretty lazy. Even the name is lazy, come on at least try. But I'm sure it will have a great queue.

afar28 and lazyboy97o like this.
  8. Jwhee

Jwhee Well-Known Member

That facade looks... Ugly.

9. NearTheEars

NearTheEars Well-Known Member

It's interesting that folks are saying Disney over spends on everything, yet in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride thread many are saying they are penny pinching the contractors and are always looking for ways to save.

Hmmm....

Buck likes this.
  10. SyracuseOrange

SyracuseOrange Well-Known Member

Am I the only one excited for this? At least it shows they are making more strides towards Marvel in the parks. This is, I'm sure, not going to be the only attraction. I wouldn't be surprised if Disneyland Shanghai or Anaheim were up next.

11. phi2134

phi2134 Well-Known Member Original Poster

They are putting in new intellectual property with the same old ride system and the same ride experience. They are shoehorning in Iron Man in to a ride system they can easily update, but provides less of a thrill. They will update the story of the ride every time a new movie comes out and make it appear that its a brand new attraction. When in reality its an old ride system, with a little bit of an upgrade and another meet and greet.

|Q| and mahnamahna101 like this.
  12. phi2134

phi2134 Well-Known Member Original Poster

The first thing I thought of when i saw the facade was that looks very Universalish, but Universal knows how to do it better.

mahnamahna101 likes this.
  13. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Nothing interesting at all. Different groups make different decisions as well as when money is spent being an important consideration. Being unwise with spending doesn't have to be an either or equation when it comes to overspending or being cheap.

14. SyracuseOrange

SyracuseOrange Well-Known Member

Which I think is fine for HK, since they don't have a Star Tours attraction. (They initially announced Star Tours 2, but that's been scrapped, apparently in favor of Iron Man.)

Now if they did this attraction in Anaheim, I could understand why people would be underwhelmed. It works for HK.

Bill Cipher likes this.
  15. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

It's nice to see another new attraction concept....just too bad that once again it's going in to a Disney resort that is NOT WDW.

16. DVCOwner

DVCOwner A Long Time DVC Member

This thread is really showing that some people just want to bad mouth Disney no matter what. The details of this ride are not even out let and everyone is saying that this is no good. One of the biggest issue people have is that Disney is all about princesses and there is nothing for the boys. Well getting Marvell into the parks will be great and fill the gender gap. This is a step in the right direction even if if uses an old ride system and we do not know if that is the case yet. I just wish that Disney did not have an agreement with Universal to keep Marvel out of parks east of the Mississippi.

As for Walt Disney World benefiting from this, if world-wide park revenue goes up, it can not hurt the other parks.

Bill Cipher, Buck, fractal and 2 others like this.
  17. DisneySaint

DisneySaint Well-Known Member

Maybe this ride will simulate what it'd be like for Florida to get substantial new attractions.

18. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

Penny wise, pound foolish. I used to work for a very large corporation and saw this sort of thing all the time.

19. Fox&Hound

Fox&Hound Well-Known Member

Well, here is where Disney is spending their money. No surprise that WDW is getting less love.

20. xstech25

xstech25 Well-Known Member

Can you please explain this post a little more? Most people think the new Star Tours is a great ride, and Hong Kong does not have anything that resembles it in any way. Universal built Transformers which has the Spiderman ride system and you can walk from one ride to the other. Also Iron Man 3 is one of the most successful movies of all time in China, and based on the storyline provided I can't think of any better type of ride to use for something like this. Sounds like it's going to be a huge draw to me.

I guess WDW or DLR shouldn't get a trackless dark ride because the technology is over 10 years old?