Disney Hong Kong to get Iron Man Ride...

BigThunderMatt

Knew this was coming, but every ride that is put in another park besides WDW, especially outside of the US, is a huge let down for me. Thankfully it doesn't seem like anything that would bring me back to the park multiple times, but still would be great to have a new ride of any kind.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/08/b...g-kong-park-disney-deploys-iron-man.html?_r=0

Looks and sounds like a retooled version of Star Tours. If they use the same dated flight simulator technology I'll just laugh. You have a veritable gold mine and you resort to a ride system that's been in use at Disney parks since the 80s? What a joke. Spider-Man it is not.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
How are they building an E ticket for 100 million?! Didn't the Tangled Restrooms cost more than that?!

Transformers cost 100 mil, but, for some reason, Disney projects cost a lot more. The Little Mermaid attraction alone cost more than the entirety of Wizarding World of HP.
Still, this better be one hell of a motion simulator..

afar28

100 mill for this?? Disney sure loves burning through money and overspending when they decide to build something

NearTheEars

It's interesting that folks are saying Disney over spends on everything, yet in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride thread many are saying they are penny pinching the contractors and are always looking for ways to save.

Hmmm....

SyracuseOrange

Am I the only one excited for this? At least it shows they are making more strides towards Marvel in the parks. This is, I'm sure, not going to be the only attraction. I wouldn't be surprised if Disneyland Shanghai or Anaheim were up next.

phi2134

Original Poster
Am I the only one excited for this? At least it shows they are making more strides towards Marvel in the parks. This is, I'm sure, not going to be the only attraction. I wouldn't be surprised if Disneyland Shanghai or Anaheim were up next.

They are putting in new intellectual property with the same old ride system and the same ride experience. They are shoehorning in Iron Man in to a ride system they can easily update, but provides less of a thrill. They will update the story of the ride every time a new movie comes out and make it appear that its a brand new attraction. When in reality its an old ride system, with a little bit of an upgrade and another meet and greet.

lazyboy97o

It's interesting that folks are saying Disney over spends on everything, yet in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride thread many are saying they are penny pinching the contractors and are always looking for ways to save.

Hmmm....
Nothing interesting at all. Different groups make different decisions as well as when money is spent being an important consideration. Being unwise with spending doesn't have to be an either or equation when it comes to overspending or being cheap.

SyracuseOrange

They are putting in new intellectual property with the same old ride system and the same ride experience. They are shoehorning in Iron Man in to a ride system they can easily update, but provides less of a thrill. They will update the story of the ride every time a new movie comes out and make it appear that its a brand new attraction. When in reality its an old ride system, with a little bit of an upgrade and another meet and greet.
Which I think is fine for HK, since they don't have a Star Tours attraction. (They initially announced Star Tours 2, but that's been scrapped, apparently in favor of Iron Man.)

Now if they did this attraction in Anaheim, I could understand why people would be underwhelmed. It works for HK.

cheezbat

It's nice to see another new attraction concept....just too bad that once again it's going in to a Disney resort that is NOT WDW.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
This thread is really showing that some people just want to bad mouth Disney no matter what. The details of this ride are not even out let and everyone is saying that this is no good. One of the biggest issue people have is that Disney is all about princesses and there is nothing for the boys. Well getting Marvell into the parks will be great and fill the gender gap. This is a step in the right direction even if if uses an old ride system and we do not know if that is the case yet. I just wish that Disney did not have an agreement with Universal to keep Marvel out of parks east of the Mississippi.

As for Walt Disney World benefiting from this, if world-wide park revenue goes up, it can not hurt the other parks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Hmmm....

Penny wise, pound foolish. I used to work for a very large corporation and saw this sort of thing all the time.

xstech25

Can you please explain this post a little more? Most people think the new Star Tours is a great ride, and Hong Kong does not have anything that resembles it in any way. Universal built Transformers which has the Spiderman ride system and you can walk from one ride to the other. Also Iron Man 3 is one of the most successful movies of all time in China, and based on the storyline provided I can't think of any better type of ride to use for something like this. Sounds like it's going to be a huge draw to me.

I guess WDW or DLR shouldn't get a trackless dark ride because the technology is over 10 years old?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom