Disney Hiring Process

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
niteobsrvr - What do you do for a living now?

Oddly, I'll be 32 in July, not dating at the moment because Im not sure where my next job will be. I keep hitting Orlando about everyday with applications, Imay try to come down for a job fair if I find one attractive enough.

Unemployment is depressing!

niteobsrvr

You both asked the same question. So I will just reply here rather than individually. I hope thats OK.

Its been an interesting 10 years in Florida. Initially, I was a Disney bus driver. I was also taking some technology classes. My other dream job was to work for a company involved in technical theatre (sound, lights, video) so I was also taking classes in that subject matter. In January of 2004, I landed a job with just such a company. Ironically, not because of the supplemental classes I took but because of my undergrad degree in Transportation and Logistics. The shows have to move you know. LOL. It lasted until a company reorganization in late summer 2006.

From there I went on to start my own business teaching mostly senior citizens how to use computers. I also worked part time as a network admin for a small business. Unfortunately, the economy took its toll on both of those endeavors. By September of last year, I was on the unemployment line with so many other folks and living in a part of Florida that is known for the high number of foreclosures.

So needless to say, I started putting in applications here there and everywhere. So long as everywhere wasn't likely to be under a blanket of snow. I got a couple of calls and even 1 other offer that I would have jumped on had it not been temporary because I would have had to move 150 miles. But when it came down to decision time, I felt it was necessary to take another chance. I recently returned to the Disney to the same job I started out with 10 years ago.

And so now begins what I hope will be a new dream as the transportation landscape begins to change in Central Florida.

So thats my life in Florida so far. And below is a quote that I believe sums it up better than I just did. LOL.

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
Walt Disney

sunsetandgower

It will be almost impossible to get called for a professional position if you do not live locally in Orlando. HR is going to focus on local candidates that will be able to come in for multiple interviews.

Your best bet is going to be to have some kind of presence in Orlando if that is where you want to work. I am of course referring to full time salaried positions in an office (such as the Team Disney building) - not the positions in the parks, which I really don't have any knowledge as to the hiring process there.

TheBeatles

Here's an interesting bit to add....

On my CP I had a manager that worked for the company in 1986 and left. He was rehired a few years back into a management role because of who he knew.

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
Got a call today for a job interview Thursday in Orlando! Leaving in the morning, hope to dodge the snow thats heading towards I-95. Looking forward to Orlando, warmer weather for a few days and of course going to WDW!

Wilt Dasney

Got a call today for a job interview Thursday in Orlando! Leaving in the morning, hope to dodge the snow thats heading towards I-95. Looking forward to Orlando, warmer weather for a few days and of course going to WDW!
Good luck, Duke! It's nice to hear about people getting closer to their goals.

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
Thanks! I may leave in a few minutes, not sure how this snow storm is going to pan out for NC. I can be in GA by 2-3am and stay for the night, then troll in tomorrow after I wake up. Hmmmmm

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I left NC at 11pm to avoid the snow, that backfired. I drove in it for 200 miles, and stopped in Florence SC stressed out and cross eyed from the night time snow visual effect. Resumed travel around lunch and arrived at 6pm, then went for some sushi. I ended up staying with a friend in a very nice home that belongs to his uncle. I got the master suite, so that was....well sweet! Interview is at 5pm tomorrow, so we'll see if I am a good fit for them and they, me.

More to come.

:animwink:

Which park should I go to? hmmm :sohappy:

jpm46

A non-local getting an interview for a full-time position?! There IS hope! I guess I can't give up...

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
Yeah, I guess anything is possible if you are persistent enough, and im pretty tenacious.

Spent the last two days in the parks, nothing quite like a surprise trip to Disney World and more importantly, seeing friends!
:sohappy:

jpm46

Yeah, I guess anything is possible if you are persistent enough, and im pretty tenacious.

Spent the last two days in the parks, nothing quite like a surprise trip to Disney World and more importantly, seeing friends!
:sohappy:

May I ask, what is the position you were interviewing for?

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
It turns out the opportunity was not a good fit for me. The base salary was not enough to even consider the move. Im back at the grinding wheel applying for jobs, I've got a few places that friends work at and are trying to get me in. So, we'll see.

Im glad I went for the interview, it certainly wasn't a loss. I stayed with a friend from grad school and really just spent money on gas and food.

Back to the drawing board. Hopefully I will draw a job. lol. :wave:

niteobsrvr

It turns out the opportunity was not a good fit for me. The base salary was not enough to even consider the move. Im back at the grinding wheel applying for jobs, I've got a few places that friends work at and are trying to get me in. So, we'll see.

Im glad I went for the interview, it certainly wasn't a loss. I stayed with a friend from grad school and really just spent money on gas and food.

Back to the drawing board. Hopefully I will draw a job. lol. :wave:

I am glad you had a good time here while you had the opportunity. Your comments reiterate a point I made earlier in this post or another one about pay and expectations in the Orlando employment market and specifically Theme Parks whether Disney or otherwise.

It is an unfortuante fact that even as the cost of living has gone up over the last 10 years, wages in this area have not kept pace. In fact, most of FLorida historically pays less than a comparable position elsewhere in the country. If it were not for the bursting of the housing bubble, the problem may have even become worse.

A salary in the upper 20's to low 30's is pretty common in the industry today for someone with an advanced degree. Many people find that they cannot live on that amount of money and pay all of their living expenses at the level to which they are accustomed and pay their student loans.

Because Florida has such a large unemployed labor pool along with a significant group of people from around the country who dream of lving here and working for the mouse, this situtation is not likely to change anytime soon. While we are in the business of creating magic and making dreams come true, you have to remember that there is a limit to that fantasy world when you want to live and work in central Florida.

Having said all of that, you also have to remember what Walt himself went through before finally making it. It was not without sacrifice and hardship. But...

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

And thats the real magic of disney.

Duke of Disney

Original Poster
Im confident I'll find something, I got another call today from a well known established company, so we'll see. I think if you are persistent enough, anything can happen. I was in one interview locally and got a call for a position I think in Tampa. 813 area code.

Im bending this until it breaks, because I don't give up. :cool:

khelinski

I had worked at Disney a couple of years ago in the Career Start program (and was there for a year). I am curious if they would hire me back years later as a manager. I don't have much money for school and will hopefully have the management experience elsewhere. I am curious though, if they would even consider that without the degree (but with the Disney name).

niteobsrvr

I had worked at Disney a couple of years ago in the Career Start program (and was there for a year). I am curious if they would hire me back years later as a manager. I don't have much money for school and will hopefully have the management experience elsewhere. I am curious though, if they would even consider that without the degree (but with the Disney name).

If you have skills for which they are in need, there is the possibility. However, you may find it easier if you are a regular cast member again and then transfer into a leadership role.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom