Disney Hiring Process

CaptainAshley

I'm in a terribly nerve wracking situation right now with the Disney hiring process too. I did the College Program a few years ago and have done nothing but work towards getting a career there since. I'm getting my BS in Hospitality Management this May, I've been busting my rear at a local Disney Store even taking Stock Lead roles just to try to "move up," I've done everything I thought I should be in the meantime and I'm still getting daily email responses rejecting me for even Professional Internship positions. I'm beginning to lose a lot of faith in this dream job I've wanted forever...

yensid67

Been through a ton of meetings with people there and it is very difficult if you aren't part of the company. They keep a lot of positions available to people on the inside...anything listed on the careers site is open to the public though so those are the jobs that you are able to be considered for.

Just to add my thought on the original post as well as this one...

If you would imagine that promoting from within the Disney family is the best way for them to get a 'qualified' person who knows the parks and policies compared to someone that they bring in from the public! They would have to train this person in the Disney way and get him familiar with all the policies that are included in a huge company such as Disney! I would like to bet that Universal Stucios does the same thing as well as Movie Studios. It would only make sense that the big corporations like these promote from within the company!

If you want to get into a large company such as Disney or Universal Studios theme parks, you may have to start at the bottom and work upwards to your goal! Basically, 'get your foot in the door' and then move on from there!

Have a Magical Day!

Will
:wave: from PA

yensid67

Ive always wondered exactly what the interview process is..

While I have not yet applied for something at Disney it has crossed my mind.

Disney usually does a phone interview FIRST, then if 'they like you', you get a personal interview with a Casting Agent, then they may call you back for yet another interview, until you are hired!:sohappy:

(At least thats how I was hired. I actually called a number from a TV commercial in 1998!)

hrcollectibles

I definitely apply to jobs in Orlando area several times a week, so we'll see! Thanks for the information, it's all been helpful. I have a few friends that are GSMs and they do ok, after having not worked for going on 7 months, Id take about anything!

When applying for jobs in Orlando it helps if you have an Orlando address. When submitting my resumes to places I was able to use a friends mailing address..Good luck... And Disney does promote from within. I recently accepted a position with the Walt Disney Company. And when I am in my department fo 6 months I can apply for another one

Magenta Panther

My aunt, who's in her 50's, is expressing a desire to move to Florida and work at Walt Disney World. Does anybody here know Disney's attitude towards older workers? Thanks for any info. I pride myself on being a Disney "expert" but I'm completely at sea when it comes to employment at the parks! (I do know someone whose dad works at WDW piloting a boat for one of the resorts. But my friend couldn't give me much info, unfortunately).

niteobsrvr

My aunt, who's in her 50's, is expressing a desire to move to Florida and work at Walt Disney World. Does anybody here know Disney's attitude towards older workers? Thanks for any info. I pride myself on being a Disney "expert" but I'm completely at sea when it comes to employment at the parks! (I do know someone whose dad works at WDW piloting a boat for one of the resorts. But my friend couldn't give me much info, unfortunately).

I tall depends on what she wants to do and how much she wants to work. If she is planning on Disney as a full time job to support her throughout retirement, I would suggest that she also have plenty of retirement funds in the bank before she moves.

As to hiring, it will be slow going between now and next spring. Traditionally Springtime is the big hiring push for summer to replace people lost through attrition during the slower months of the year. If she is monetarily comfortable without working then she could consider seasonal employment at first which occurs during peak seasons like Christmas and Spring Break.

People make it sound like all Disney has working for them is College interns. However this is certainly not the case. Only about 8000 of the 54000 people employed at the Walt Disney world resort are on the college and international program. The remaining 46000 people are divided up between management, about 26000 unionized employees and and non-union office and technical positions.

The hiring process is conducted online initially at this website: http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCareers/wdwcareers/hourly/index.html.
It can take 3 to 6 months depending on time of application to be contacted for an online interview, etc.

While I think Disney is a great place to work, remember there is a big difference between how cast members act on Main Street vs. behind the scenes. Everyone should be careful not to over romanticize a job at Disney world because cast members still have real world issues and attitudes that the Disney magic cannot zap away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom