Disney Giveth, and Disney Taketh Away

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Galaxy Palace Theatre torn down for exec parking
Tree of Life crumbling
Both good points.
I agreed until the fastpass return window was enforced. Now when you have reservations it creates conflicts and ultimately(sometimes) you are forced to miss out on a fastpass attraction due to this.
The $10 fee is a good idea, but it's made necessary by the dining plan which is a bad idea.
Tim, what about the effects in The Great Movie Ride??? Some of the effects have been turned off or never fixed, such as the first scene with the spinning dancers... I know that has been off for a long time now...
Another good call - any others you can think of? I added "less motion and slime in Alien"
Oh and how about the end of Space Mountain and how unsyncronized the re entry blast is. Even if your sitting in the back the sound doesn't start until your clearly through the tunnel. Not sure if that's considered a cut, but I find it to be absolutely horrible.
I'm going to create a new section called, "Easy fixes" and I'm going to include the Earth reveal on Spaceship Earth as well.
DAK ('Missing in Daktion'?):

The fun discovery pathway between Africa and Asia
Pocahontas And Her Forest Friends
I've added the pathway as something lumped in with the Tree of Life issues. I'll put Pocahontas and her Forest Friends on, but I'm under the impression that the area will eventually be used for Avatar... 8 years later.

Does anyone know of any DVC related cuts? Do they still have access to all of the pools around property? What about Annual Passes?

asianway

Was it Four for a dollar that got cut from the B&B preshow?

Future Corps
The full WDW band reduced to Main St philharmonic

Captain Chaos

Another good call - any others you can think of? I added "less motion and slime in Alien"

Not sure if this is an on going issue or an effect that was turned off but I have been reading that the wind effect in the Fantasia part of GMR is also no longer working... What purpose it served, no idea since it really didn't make any sense for Fantasia... Would have made perfect sense if they kept the tornado sense as planned...

The fish in Nemo, on the Kuka arm, doesn't like to work most times (though they seem to fix this one quickly for some reason)...

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I don't think it was the first time. But it certainly ranks up there as one of the most egregious and arrogant uses of the "guests demanded it" excuse, and was insulting to anyone with a mind who can read words on a page.

Did anyone actually believe that?

I'm sure guests demanded less time for evening EMH's too...
The EMH thing can be defended by that ifthey extend normal park hours. What buffets cut Prime Rib?
Was it Four for a dollar that got cut from the B&B preshow?

Future Corps
The full WDW band reduced to Main St philharmonic
Forgive the ignorance, but what was Future Corps, I don't remember this?
Not sure if this is an on going issue or an effect that was turned off but I have been reading that the wind effect in the Fantasia part of GMR is also no longer working... What purpose it served, no idea since it really didn't make any sense for Fantasia... Would have made perfect sense if they kept the tornado sense as planned...

The fish in Nemo, on the Kuka arm, doesn't like to work most times (though they seem to fix this one quickly for some reason)...
Not sure about the wind, but the Nemo Kuka arm breaks often but is also often repaired. I will however add Chum the shark as a "broken" effect

asianway

The EMH thing can be defended by that ifthey extend normal park hours. What buffets cut Prime Rib?

Forgive the ignorance, but what was Future Corps, I don't remember this?

Not sure about the wind, but the Nemo Kuka arm breaks often but is also often repaired. I will however add Chum the shark as a "broken" effect
Chef Mickeys and Boma had prime rib through 2008.

Future Corps was a band at Epcot through 2000.

Bairstow

Chef Mickeys and Boma had prime rib through 2008.

Future Corps was a band at Epcot through 2000.

Coulda sworn I had Prime Rib at Boma last August. If it wasn't prime rib it was some really great roast beef, and the African sauces and things to go on it were tasty. Really though, as long as they still have peanut soup I'll be happy.

As for Future Corps, while they were certainly talented and I'm sure people enjoyed them, I never thought they quite fit into the theme of Epcot.
...even when they played the theme of Epcot.

ParentsOf4

That is a very valid point that I hadn't thought about when i originally suggested it was a good thing. Especially a ride like Toy Story Mania where the fast passes at 10am are for 6pm returns if any are left. The good thing is they only charge you for signature and character reservations not all ADRs or has that changed too?
Yeah, this is the toughest part about the FP return time enforcement policy. Someone who rarely, if ever, goes to WDW does what Disney expects and books their TS reservations for 6 PM months in advance. They really want to try TSMM for the first time but the line is 120 minutes and the FPs are being distributed for 6 PM. It kinda stinks that they think they have to pick between the two. Even worse, they get fined $10/person if they miss their reservation. Those of us with experience might know what to do but for the newbie they think they are out-of-luck. There's so much to learn for a first-time WDW guest that they won't have any idea how to solve this apparent conflict.

For those of us who have been lots of time, we know how to handle it. Besides, we've been on TSMM many times, no big deal if we miss it. But for the first-timer, it seems like such a tough experience. I wish there was some way Disney could make an exception for the new WDW guest but I don't see how.

P.S. This is not a made up scenario. I happened to overhear a first-time WDW family crestfallen about this. They had two adorable girls (about ages 6 & 4) who seemed on the verge of tears. I handed them my FPs that were good in about 5 minutes. (I think it was around 10 AM.) The joy on their faces was priceless!

freediverdude

Yay!

EPCOT wasn't so much educational, as inspirational. It achieved this effortlessly by a genuine artistry about the place. A remnant can be seen in the least changed EPCOT attarction: Impressions de France. Music and images used almost as poetry. Compare that to the lazy, celebrity-driven offerings of current Epcot by Martin Short, Ellen Degeneres, and Eric Idle.

EPCOT Center didn't use cartoons or celebs ('because that's what the people know...and understand...and is the easiest way to tell our stories'). No, it used classic Disney creativity and the greatests artists, to present subjects not derived from cartoons, but from the works and cooperation of the greatest scientists and science-fiction writers and futurists. An entirely diferent endeavor as compared to dumbed down lower case Epcot.

Energy, not presented via the means of a television gameshow, but by an avant-garde Czech film director and his Kinetic Mosaic. A world of difference, in just a preshow:

I can just see today's youth watching that, and going, "What is mechanical energy, and what does it have to do with a tumbling boulder??" Things have been sooo dumbed down nowadays.

asianway

Thanks for the info on the Prime Rib, was Future Corps replaced by the JAMmitors?

Sure, why not.

I am not sure when the Jammitors started, but they do not seem to be mentioned in the article about the Y2K musician bloodletting. Forgot about Fife and Drum and atmosphere entertainment in Liberty Square too. I must be getting old. They did have the town crier at least at MNSSHP during the early 2000s, but that too, has been cut.

Ben Franklin and Betsy Ross were cut starting this year from Fourth of July entertainment at Epcot.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com..._walt-disney-disney-world-magic-magic-kingdom

God bless America

asianway

Oops this fell to page 2, can't have that

Epcot daytime entertainment-Surprise in the Skies, Tapestry of Nations, Tapestry of Dreams, et al

Hunchback Show at MGM-Premier Theatre sits empty

Beholder

I had forgotten about the Flamingos and when I looked at the pictures of the original interior of The Land, I wanted to cry. I had forgotten (it's been at least 20+ years for me) and it all came flooding back! All if it, the murals, umbrellas, the tables... This really may be one of the most depressing (WDW related) photos I've seen. It was so beautiful and full of "soul". I don't have any other word for it.

I'm so sad. Not because it changed, but because it didn't change for the best...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom