Disney Giveth, and Disney Taketh Away

asianway

The Empress Lilly smokestacks and paddle wheel are great examples of how they just don't care. They could have easily written that upkeep into the lease to make it their problem but chose not to.

And you jogged my memory-Figment topiary at JII

prberk

I must assure you I was very busy enjoying all this wonderful, classic Disney creativity. :)

Compare this handpainted ceiling with the one below:
(And the painted walls. And the fun electric umbrella's. And the lighting which doesn't make it all look like a hospital)
(Which also reminds me to add the Fountain inside the Land to the list)

fwthennow2_landinterior1983ww.jpg

fwthennow2_landinterior2011ww.jpg

What Disney artists used to do before 'Giant Oversized Fiberglass Objects' and 'Cartoony Stuff' became the norm. The mural at Horizons:

horizons%20mural%203.jpg

Wow.

The Empress Lilly

Wow.
Those pictures are pretty telling.
You may have a point.
Yay!

EPCOT wasn't so much educational, as inspirational. It achieved this effortlessly by a genuine artistry about the place. A remnant can be seen in the least changed EPCOT attarction: Impressions de France. Music and images used almost as poetry. Compare that to the lazy, celebrity-driven offerings of current Epcot by Martin Short, Ellen Degeneres, and Eric Idle.

EPCOT Center didn't use cartoons or celebs ('because that's what the people know...and understand...and is the easiest way to tell our stories'). No, it used classic Disney creativity and the greatests artists, to present subjects not derived from cartoons, but from the works and cooperation of the greatest scientists and science-fiction writers and futurists. An entirely diferent endeavor as compared to dumbed down lower case Epcot.

Energy, not presented via the means of a television gameshow, but by an avant-garde Czech film director and his Kinetic Mosaic. A world of difference, in just a preshow:

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Hey rsox1. Does elimating the morning paper at the deluxe resorts count as a cutback? Or does the free wifi trump that?
They're not delivering it to the door. It's arguing semantics, but they're available. In theory they could ask you if you want a paper, and deliver it to those that do.

At this point, they should not be credited for having free wifi in their hotels any more than they should be credited for having televisions.

Empress Lilly, I've added some of your stuff to the first page, but things like mural changes when the entire attraction/pavilion has changed isn't really what I'm talking about here. Those are changes that we disapprove of but were theoretically not made as budget cuts.

Tip Top Club

Starbucks is not outsourced. It's just like the Barnes and Noble Cafes if you're familiar with them, it's Disney Cast Members serving Starbucks Product.

And I disagree completely about energy. I mean sure there are some small touches that are out of date, Ellen's Cell Phone for example, but except for the Ellen animatronic (which obviously needs replacing) all the issues presented in the film are still issues today. We haven't come very far in the world of Energy. Even though it makes the world go round....

WDW1974

How about breakfast at Boatwright's?

Or a full lunch buffet at Trail's End ( was $4.99 including drink before 20% off in the 1990s, btw)?

Or the fixing bars at Electric Umbrella and Backlot Express?

*notice a food slant?*

How about Bonfamille's Cafe?

How about shops in WS becoming coloring areas (Pringle of Scotland in UK) or just shuttered (Canada and second level gallery in France)?

How about chocolates when you got your check at full serve restaurants (this one's been a while ... maybe 10-12 years now)?

How about the petting zoo at FW?

How about having live birds in the lobby at the Poly on Parrot Key at CBR and the birdcage at GF ... oh, and EPCOT's flamingos (also a 2001-02 era change)?

How about the WDW Easter Parade?

OK, that's it ... need to be up in six hours at an ungodly hour ...

The Empress Lilly

things like mural changes when the entire attraction/pavilion has changed isn't really what I'm talking about here. Those are changes that we disapprove of but were theoretically not made as budget cuts.
I think large upkeep costs have a great deal to do with the decision to simply paint the Land ceiling blank and then break the monotony of its boring mass with cheap cloth.
If for the same budget you can choose between a massive handpainted ceiling or a blank white one, you'd opt for the first, no? (Well, maybe not the people whose business is thematic placemaking and who yet voluntarily replace 18th century costumes with modern ones in an 18th century building)

Also, many declines are not the result of budget cuts. It is expensive ($53 million?) to vandalise a large attraction such as Imagination into mediocrity.

prberk

Or a full lunch buffet at Trail's End ( was $4.99 including drink before 20% off in the 1990s, btw)?

*notice a food slant?*

How about shops in WS becoming coloring areas (Pringle of Scotland in UK) or just shuttered (Canada and second level gallery in France)?

How about chocolates when you got your check at full serve restaurants (this one's been a while ... maybe 10-12 years now)?

How about having live birds in the lobby at the Poly on Parrot Key at CBR and the birdcage at GF ... oh, and EPCOT's flamingos (also a 2001-02 era change)?

Breakfast at Boatright's is gone? That was delicious, and a nice setting.

I agree with the tone of most of this post. The petting zoo at Fort Wilderness was a nice idea, and should still be there. The Easter Parade should also still be at MK, especially traveling down a Victorian-era faux Main Street, USA, with "townsfolk" who still wear big flowery hats.

(I had better shut up, or they will get the brilliant idea of getting rid of the Main Street, USA, townsfolk... not to mention that extravagent opening scene each morning at the train station.)

I think the biggest point is simply that the details matter. I had a friend once in college who said that his father was a boss in his job and often interviewed people for jobs. He said that he always looked to notice whether the candidate had shined his shoes. It was a detail would give a sign whether or not the person paid attention to supporting details or just the obvious. I used to love how the details mattered to Disney, and you could look and find it to be true. Of course, they would "advertise" it with television interviews and shows like "WDW Inside/Out" and Disney Magazine, but once your attention was called to look for it, you could find it. And that in itself was endearing... which gave Disney an edge in the mind of customers.

I wish that they still knew that.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster

*notice a food slant?*

Good stuff (well, no it's not but you know what I mean). I'll add most of these as well.

I can do lost flamingo's plus lost food in one shot. Flamingo's at the beach at EPCOT's Odyssey, 1986:

367480909_2ddf890349_z.jpg
These moved over to DAK, but I'll add that as well.

I think large upkeep costs have a great deal to do with the decision to simply paint the Land ceiling blank and then break the monotony of its boring mass with cheap cloth.
If for the same budget you can choose between a massive handpainted ceiling or a blank white one, you'd opt for the first, no? (Well, maybe not the people whose business is thematic placemaking and who yet voluntarily replace 18th century costumes with modern ones in an 18th century building)

Also, many declines are not the result of budget cuts. It is expensive ($53 million?) to vandalise a large attraction such as Imagination into mediocrity.

Fair points, I guess this is declining by degrees but not necessarily a true cut. I'm talking about semantics at this point though. As for Imagination, is that $53 million accurate? Is that for the first refurb, or the second one?

njDizFan

MK's unique merchandice stores(Silversmith,Magic shop, Antique store,perfumarie)
Aunt Polly's turned into a themed soda machine
closure of fountains in favor of flower pots
all beef hot dogs to blended meats
chicken tenders to nuggets
Main St. fire station
reduction of entertainers/DAK

asianway

Halloween and Christmas parties charging more for less

And you almost need a separate category showing how the other parks have upped their game while we have not
DL halloweentime
Tokyo seasonal festivals with special food, merch, entertainment
TDL Dreamlights
TDS Fantasmic
DLRP Dreams

asianway

No, they absolutely didn't.

it is urban/fanboi/CM myth. And I am 100% sure of that. It just keeps going ...
As long as were playing WDW Mythbusters, what about the MK and Epcot pigeon releases? Were there really marauding predator birds feasting or was it cost cutting?

I wonder what I could come up with in an evening with a stack of Disney News & Birnbaums partaking in a plate of Orange Cheesecake with a Monorail Yellow nightcap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom