Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If that's the case, why don't they charge more until it isn't lost revenue? Like right now, the AP for Florida residents is $400 per person. That's about half what I pay for a 10 day pass! It makes me want to move to Orlando, get the pass, and take the family to Disney every day! (The pass is blocked when the parks are full, but that's great for me. It's not like I want to be in a packed park when I can go everyday anyway.)

I'm all for Disney charging everything they can get. I just hope that they can get it.
Screwdriver, wrench, or hammer?

Andrew M

We bought our first resale back when you could book anywhere and still got a blue card. $80/point. I don’t know why anyone would buy a new contract direct from Disney.
Yep, we we've been looking into if for a while, but every time we feel we'd be ready, they change something either between restrictions on resales, price increases, or the min. number of points for benefits.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We bought our first resale back when you could book anywhere and still got a blue card. $80/point. I don’t know why anyone would buy a new contract direct from Disney.
I bought direct for a little less than that and no regrets. I’ve considered resales but it only makes sense to bottom feed on those.

I would never consider a direct buy now…they have hit/skirted price ceilings often over the last 10 years on rooms…so why continue to pay more and more for the points? Why disconnect the two?
Yep, we we've been looking into if for a while, but every time we feel we'd be ready, they change something either between restrictions on resales, price increases, or the min. number of points for benefits.
I would be in the same place as you if I hadn’t bought it rather young.

pdude81

The Bobs consider annual passes “lost revenue”

they probably have a point and yet are completely stupid.
AP gets more bodies in the park though. Then they hit the fanbase with a 10% discount on Genie plus for annual pass holders and the people crying about how unfair this all is suddenly think they have a special deal and pay for it.

The paid fastpass decisions and the AP increases each make sense in a vacuum, but the combination is so aggressive it's confusing.

ToTBellHop

I bought direct for a little less than that and no regrets. I’ve considered resales but it only makes sense to bottom feed on those.

I would never consider a direct buy now…they have hit/skirted price ceilings often over the last 10 years on rooms…so why continue to pay more and more for the points? Why disconnect the two?

I would be in the same place as you if I hadn’t bought it rather young.
I wouldn’t even buy a resale now. Even those have reached unreasonable rates considering you don’t get the blue card. I know those blue card perks could always go away but I am happy to benefit from them with each passing year.

ToTBellHop

AP gets more bodies in the park though. Then they hit the fanbase with a 10% discount on Genie plus for annual pass holders and the people crying about how unfair this all is suddenly think they have a special deal and pay for it.

The paid fastpass decisions and the AP increases each make sense in a vacuum, but the combination is so aggressive it's confusing.
Absolutely. I don’t think it will take long to see nominal AP and DVC discounts on Genie+. “Only” $13.50 per day!

LovePop

How on earth do people still sign up for DVC...like even if your wealthy...dont wealthy people see value differently? IE often very calculated.
Disney's been nagging me to get DVC for years. I never wanted it for the following reasons:

1. DVC units have kitchens. I don't want to cook on vacation. I already do enough cooking at home. I also don't want to bother getting groceries. I prefer to eat out at restaurants when on vacation.
2. DVC units are bigger with separate bedrooms. I want a standard room with 2 beds so that I can keep an eye on the family at all times.
3. DVC units are only for deluxe hotels. I like the moderate and value hotels too, they look awesome and distinct.
4. I don't understand the DVC point system, the limitations and restrictions, resale. Sounds complicated.
5. I don't want the commitment of ownership. With the standard hotels, if I don't go, I don't pay.
6. I like the flexibility of catching hotel discounts, or staying at a value if I wish to save money.
7. DVC don't get their rooms cleaned very much. They are considered "non-paying" guests. In other words, they are inferior guests.

I am not bashing DVC ownership here. I'm only saying that it's not suitable for me.

Now, with genie+ and LL, the DVC members are looking at handing over lots more money to Disney when they visit, or wait in line like the plebs. Unless they don't mind waiting in line, that's effectively a huge hidden price increase.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

APs (I have zero doubt)…spend less on stuff (average), are less likely to fall for upsells, and bring in less on room revenue because of the discounts…

…that’s why Bobs don’t like them.

that being said…wdw needs them every minute of every day. They are a “stabilizing” force that they need when you have to bring in volume.

this is why they are trapped in such a paradoxically stupid stance.

take the money people are willing to give you…never turn customers away

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

This is what is truly messed up, placing a lightning lane sign on an attraction that regular lighting lane purchasers won't even be able to go on without an additional purchase.
This is blatant false advertising no? It has the same name but an extra charge that isn't advertised.

No.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney's been nagging me to get DVC for years. I never wanted it for the following reasons:

1. DVC units have kitchens. I don't want to cook on vacation. I already do enough cooking at home. I also don't want to bother getting groceries. I prefer to eat out at restaurants when on vacation.
2. DVC units are bigger with separate bedrooms. I want a standard room with 2 beds so that I can keep an eye on the family at all times.
3. DVC units are only for deluxe hotels. I like the moderate and value hotels too, they look awesome and distinct.
4. I don't understand the DVC point system, the limitations and restrictions, resale. Sounds complicated.
5. I don't want the commitment of ownership. With the standard hotels, if I don't go, I don't pay.
6. I like the flexibility of catching hotel discounts, or staying at a value if I wish to save money.
7. DVC don't get their rooms cleaned very much. They are considered "non-paying" guests. In other words, they are inferior guests.

I am not bashing DVC ownership here. I'm only saying that it's not suitable for me.

Now, with genie+ and LL, the DVC members are looking at handing over lots more money to Disney when they visit, or wait in line like the plebs. Unless they don't mind waiting in line, that's effectively a huge hidden price increase.
DVC always waited with the plebs. We just go a lot so it’s silly to fight crowds and pound lines. Couple months away is only a couple of months.

but the AP changed screw DVC more…big price hikes and I have a feeling they will be much worse in a year or two.

CaptainAmerica

What is that? Times New Roman?

Oh look: another professional looking Lightning Lane sign.

What a HALF-A$$ED job. What an embarrassment.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but given the sloppy design (architecture, interior decor, theming, signage, etc.) that now characterizes WDW, I will not be surprised if the sloppily camouflaged Fast Pass lettering just stays visible for the long term. Why bother at this point?
View attachment 585640

Yeah, that's really rough. Yikes.
You guys are really something else.

Jeff4272

Crazy but thats all the exact reasons I bought DVC

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn’t even buy a resale now. Even those have reached unreasonable rates considering you don’t get the blue card. I know those blue card perks could always go away but I am happy to benefit from them with each passing year.
Well I have the blue card…so the resells honestly ONLY makes sense for me/us.

As long as it’s not caribbean 🙄

But it won’t be long until the resells are eliminated from all but the top level APs…you watch

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldn't say speculating. I've been told of specific numbers planned for WDW.
…then that confirms what I’ve thought: they have the worst management in TWDC history by a factor of 10.

$24 to ride average rides…or $15 to enter a virtual queue for it all day…

on top of a flex priced $160 daily “concert pass” gate ticket…

…and you have to account for $209 after hours/tinsel parties too…don’t forget that.

if the BOD approves Chappo Slappos next contract - based on estimates from these kinds of number promises - they should all be removed for fiduciary malfeasance.

not sustainable

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Very few purchase ride times and wait times are low, regardless. So, at least initially, it has not changed much.
It’s changed one thing:

1631201703772.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom