Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

seabreezept813

What proof can anyone have its getting abused? If Disney can prove it then they can literally not grant someone access to DAS. “Insiders” claim its being used in abundance but im sorry they cant “prove”’its being abused again if anyone can prove it Disney can easily ban yo from the parks if caught. Sadly people will abused any system to gain an advantage happens everywhere but to me that abused is not what is creating these long lines. I dk maybe its me but was Disney ever not busy with lines. Going back to when i was a kid to now a grown adult lnes have always existed.
From the perspective of an educator, we also diagnose disability so much more frequently nowadays. I have classes where 80% or more of the class qualify for accomodations for disabilities. So I think society in general has more disability awareness and maybe the definition of disability has morphed a bit as well to include more attributes under that category. The increase in mental health disorders has also grown tremendously since the pandemic. So while I’m sure there is abuse, Im guessing that this and the fact that there is a group o people with disabilities knew how to work with just FP+ do play a role.

mikejs78

Premium Member
True. And maybe moreso at DHS, which experiences a lot of downtime and has relatively few rides.

I don't know how I'd count that other than asking Guest Relations. Let me run that up the flag pole and see who salutes.

If I recall, the tap point color for a DAS selection is different than the regular color - and it flashes (3 times I think). If you can get a view of the tap point, you might be able to count DAS users, although you wouldn't necessarily get their family members because those tap the same as G+.

Splash4eva

If I recall, the tap point color for a DAS selection is different than the regular color - and it flashes (3 times I think). If you can get a view of the tap point, you might be able to count DAS users, although you wouldn't necessarily get their family members because those tap the same as G+.
It turns blue then the CM approves it & everyone in your party goes after you and its green. So in theory you only know 1 person who is using DAS then have to i guess pay attention to who os in the party to count. This is also part of the issue right? 1 DAS user on average probably takes up 3-4 spots.

Vegas Disney Fan

So while I’m sure there is abuse, Im guessing that this and the fact that there is a group o people with disabilities knew how to work with just FP+ do play a role.
My Gf has DAS and this describes us, we used to manage just fine with FP, with our 3 FPs we’d only use DAS once or twice a day on average, some days we wouldn’t need it at all, now that FP is a thing of the past we probably use DAS 4 times a day on average.

The end of free FP probably doubled or tripled DAS use from existing users, any new abuse for financial reasons would be in addition to the already increased use by valid users.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Haunted Mansion doesn’t have a height requirement. While rider swap riders could theoretically exist, they’re going to be statistically insignificant.
Rider swap also exists for people who may not want to go on the attraction (i.e. find it frightening). That's the case for us - my youngest does not want anything to do with ghosts, so we have rider swapped HM.

Fido Chuckwagon

Rider swap also exists for people who may not want to go on the attraction (i.e. find it frightening). That's the case for us - my youngest does not want anything to do with ghosts, so we have rider swapped HM.
Yes, it exists, but it’s going to be statistically insignificant on a ride without a height requirement.

Tha Realest

From the perspective of an educator, we also diagnose disability so much more frequently nowadays. I have classes where 80% or more of the class qualify for accomodations for disabilities. So I think society in general has more disability awareness and maybe the definition of disability has morphed a bit as well to include more attributes under that category. The increase in mental health disorders has also grown tremendously since the pandemic. So while I’m sure there is abuse, Im guessing that this and the fact that there is a group o people with disabilities knew how to work with just FP+ do play a role.
The national average is about 15% of public school students qualify as having some sort of disability. You number seems really unusual

Drdcm

Ok I’m going to get back up on my soapbox as someone who actually diagnoses and recommends disability accommodations for people.

I used to work with kids but now I work with veterans. Disability is about “functional impairment” and impairment in different functional domains. Academics is one domain, social functioning is another. For adults employment is a domain. Just because someone has accommodations in school (quiet testing environment/extra time on exams/allowed to listen to music/has an aid) does not mean that they are impaired outside of this context. There is a major difference between taking a test and standing in a line for space mountain..

Getting a note to prove the disability from a doctor is going to be hard for people. Especially when it’s something as minor and inconsequential as waiting in line for space mountain.

Like I said earlier, kids with autism would be more likely to get the recommendation from me because of the nature of the illness. Waiting in line is not going to help them at all with managing their symptoms. ADHD, anxiety, depression could, but the patient would need to convince me that avoiding lines is better for them in the long run health-wise. Again, by demonstrating impairment and the consequences. In general avoidance just reinforces the symptoms, so they’d have to convince me that avoiding rather than using mindfulness/distraction/coping skills/positive reinforcement/negative reinforcement is the better route To go.

I suppose the doctors notes would work well for the people that really need it. For the people that don’t need it to function, but would like it, it might be harder to get.

The physical disability component is a whole other beast that I won’t touch.

Drdcm

@seabreezept813 ugh, again I accidentally replied to someone I wasn’t intending to respond to. My post has nothing to do with yours just so you are aware. I was going to say that the goals and perspectives of the people diagnosing is often very different from the perspectives of the people diagnosed if you’d like to know what I was thinking when I was initially going to reply to your post.

Purduevian

True. And maybe moreso at DHS, which experiences a lot of downtime and has relatively few rides.

I don't know how I'd count that other than asking Guest Relations. Let me run that up the flag pole and see who salutes.

I assume you know which G+ tier each ride is in. If you count earlier in the day and get lucky that no other rides in the same tier or above have experienced downtime that morning. The recovery passes should be pretty minimal for that count. I know you did your original count on HM, but if you know the G+/ILL numbers for JC, Pan, Tron, or 7D, it should really reduce the recovery passes.

I also know that Guest services can give recovery passes for other things than ride breakdowns, but I assume that is rare.

seabreezept813

The national average is about 15% of public school students qualify as having some sort of disability. You number seems really unusual
I didn’t say 80% of students have disabilities. I’m saying some classes 80% of the students have accommodations, this is due to tracking. In education, there are also accommodations given to students who don’t meet an exact diagnosis so they create alternate plans that give them accommodations. These would be the ones not managed through the state. The most frequent accommodations seen on these are movement breaks, access to a quiet space. So I know more parents push for that type of allowance. And some of it I’m sure boils down to traditional education doesn’t work for all kids. It has been a conversation at many PD days that the number of students who require additional services and needs has grown much more rapidly than before.

Tha Realest

I didn’t say 80% of students have disabilities. I’m saying some classes 80% of the students have accommodations, this is due to tracking. In education, there are also accommodations given to students who don’t meet an exact diagnosis so they create alternate plans that give them accommodations. These would be the ones not managed through the state. The most frequent accommodations seen on these are movement breaks, access to a quiet space. So I know more parents push for that type of allowance. And some of it I’m sure boils down to traditional education doesn’t work for all kids. It has been a conversation at many PD days that the number of students who require additional services and needs has grown much more rapidly than before.
80% getting an accommodation seems unreasonable, and suggests there’s no attempt to make a showing justifying these accommodations or deny these requests. I have to seriously question the academic integrity of such an institution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom