News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

Pixie VaVoom

Disney would most likely ban Uber from the property. That is the concern.

Oh yeah - they are totally going to find a way to ban outside driver services. I don't know how - but it is obviously coming.

I would like to see ( and i know I am asking the improbable) services to outside venues, grocery, and retail outlets, OFF OF CAMPUS, even if you paid an elective fee.

We last stayed a week at Vacation Village at Parkway - near Celebration, a rather common older resort, but I liked it, quiet, private - roomy. The resort charged a $35 per week "resort activity fee" but that included a shuttle to ANY location in a 3 mile radius from @ 8am-10pm. We got groceries a couple of times, went to a strip Mall for t shirts and souveniers that were different than at the parks, went to a drug store, did some banking and ate a few times at a couple of different restaurants.

BTW - My hubby is retired and drives Uber AND Lyft in our town of @ 125,000. You don't make money at it, really. Too many fees attached. It cost him in air conditioning, gas, and nerves. These occupations really are the opportunities of the desperate. I will admit he only drives during daylight hours, not the 'bar crawl' scene. it ends up being mostly women without cars and businessmen whose cars are in the shop. Not worth the $8-12 per hour, BEFORE you pay for gas, and car wear and tear. Also the insurance clauses are very slippery. I am waiting for a massive lawsuit to happen and tank the whole mini industry. Sorry - just my opinion.

tissandtully

I have a little inside knowledge about all of this, apparently this is in response to a VERY upset Mears. Mears is basically upset at the accommodations WDW has made for Uber/Lyft in their parks. Anyone who has waited for a bus at Epcot can see why this would make Mears upset, yet you can see all the yellow Mears taxis lined up and people hop in a regular Uber or Lyft. Anyways, this is a ploy by Mears to usurp any Uber/Lyft biz in WDW.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

I don't see this going well. Where would all these "personal shuttles" be located? Would they make a special parking lot for them? And if this ever got off the ground, think of how many cars you would have sitting outside the exits (or in a special lot) (also, like the taxis... most notably at Epcot) waiting for "their" client. It would be mass chaos for guests to find "their" driver. It would probably be crazy enough, that even though the current Disney mass transit isn't the greatest, it would still be more efficient.

I just don't see park closings going well. All your local day visitors leaving at the same time as all the Disney transit as well as your out-of-town rental car/own car folks that drive themselves around... I just potentially see MORE traffic than anything else. Then when you get back to the resorts, the buses may not have a drop off area because the Ubers would be all lined up in it. The guests that would be on the free Disney transit, would not be happy if they had to wait for people who just couldn't take the bus.

This also leads me to the question of... If you plan your vacation correctly, should you really need a Disney Uber service? Disney transit, for how big it is, is pretty good, and if planned accordingly, you shouldn't need an Uber-type service.

This is just a bunch of people, who in accordance with today's society, can't be around other people or do things the way it's been done for years.

Oh well, when you're all stuck in traffic and I fly by on the empty monorail, we'll see what's faster then!

Uber/Mears aren't needed but they sure are helpful. Id much rather spend a couple dollars to get from resort to resort in a few minutes than build in an additional 60 minutes to travel between resorts using Disney transport. It just allows more time to relax on vacation, doesn't have anything to do with being around others.

However, your comments about increased congestion bring up excellent points.

mousehockey37

Uber/Mears aren't needed but they sure are helpful. Id much rather spend a couple dollars to get from resort to resort in a few minutes than build in an additional 60 minutes to travel between resorts using Disney transport. It just allows more time to relax on vacation, doesn't have anything to do with being around others.

For yourself it doesn't have to do with dealing with others, however for a bunch of people, it would be. Just like the old topic of paying for FP from a while ago, or paying for M&G's, it's the people who want to buy their way out of doing things the "normal" way like everyone else.

However, your comments about increased congestion bring up excellent points.

I know not everyone would use a "personal" service like that, but if you even get say 100 clients at each park, that's 400 additional cars on the roads... that possibly, in a worst case scenario, could be going to the SAME resort (again, worst case scenario).

More vehicles occupying the same spaces = greater chance for accidents. Also, how fast is a "personal service" going to be if they're lined up in a queue like the taxis are? You'd potentially be sitting in a car, waiting for the first "Duber" (I'll just abbreviate it and make Disney Uber... Duber) to leave. At park closing is this a good thing? Not really.

I'd have to think they'd need to create a special numbered parking lot that this service would utilize so that people could find their Duber.

gdrj

Great, this will give WDW a reason to cutback free transportation and use the Uber like service as a revenue source. Not a fan. We have never used a cab, but on our last couple of trips have used Uber to go from 1 resort to another for dinner.

Bairstow

I have a little inside knowledge about all of this, apparently this is in response to a VERY upset Mears. Mears is basically upset at the accommodations WDW has made for Uber/Lyft in their parks. Anyone who has waited for a bus at Epcot can see why this would make Mears upset, yet you can see all the yellow Mears taxis lined up and people hop in a regular Uber or Lyft. Anyways, this is a ploy by Mears to usurp any Uber/Lyft biz in WDW.

Cartels gonna cartel, I guess.

gdrj

It seems like I'm in the minority but I think this is potentially a good idea. While of course this is a cash grab attempt by Disney, why is that surprising? They're a business. How many other businesses out there see somebody doing something successfully and then try to replicate it to try to make money of their own? This isn't anything new, but of course, Disney is just a monster for trying to make more money. The reaction from people about this potentially happening reminds me of when people overreacted to them offering premium parking. They're not forcing you to pay more (I don't believe for a second this would replace the busses..that'd be a nightmare for several reasons), it's just an alternative option. If somebody is willing to pay for it, why not? If this is reasonably priced, I think this a great option for people dining at a resort other than the one they're staying at to significantly cut down on travel time. It could also potentially lower the number of people on the busses around peak times (Particularly those on the MK bus around park open going to Chef Mickeys, Ohana, etc.) who are really only going to that park because they have to get to a resort for their dining reservation. I also don't think this would add to congestion on property. You already have people using Uber so if Disney begins offering their own version, it would likely be a similar number of cars, just some would be Uber and others would be Disney. Assuming the DME stays as well, this service could also make renting a car even less appealing if the price is reasonable. At least for people who don't intend to leave property. While the number of cars on the road would be around the same, I for one would be completely fine with lowering the number of drivers who are clueless about where they're going.

I am one of the naysayers. While I agree Disney doesn't force you to pay Premium Parking or to pay for the a number of "extra" options. It is my opinion that when WDW started charging for the extra hours in the AM and evening, it negatively impacted other guests. For example when they had the extra hours in the evening I believe that it impacted the closing hours. It also added people at the park at the end of the night which could result in more lines before the Park Official closing. You are correct Disney can do as they wish, they are a business. However, in my opinion, people are willing to pay Disney Prices because there is a perceived value of the experience. As they continue to nickel and dime everything possible it does impact peoples opinions. In our case over the past 3 years we have been AP holders and TIW members. We visited multiple times from out of state (as many as 5 times per year). We stayed on property and ate all meals on property. Over the past year as we continued to see extra charges, or "special events", or dessert parties for $80.00 popping up anywhere they could put one. Plus with the AP price increase and the TIW increase we let our passes expire and have no plans at this time to visit. Typically we would visit in the summer but we did other vacations instead. We normally would visit in October but instead are going elsewhere.

I apologize for digressing but my point is that everything they do does have an impact. It seems that very few of the "new" initiatives are really geared to enhance guest experience that might give a guest a perception of value.

TP2000

I started renting cars for WDW visits about a decade ago, just to avoid most of WDW's internal transportation system. I just can't deal with the crowds, the inefficiency, the sloppy monorail and boat CM's, the crazy and/or annoying bus drivers, nor can I deal with the smells and stickiness of enclosed WDW monorail and bus cabins.

I would be very wary of a Disney operated Uber system, because it would just devolve into the sad state the monorails and buses currently are in. With the real Uber, which I've been using more and more lately here at home, you have an independent contractor who keeps their vehicle clean and tidy. It's sad, but Disney can't be trusted to do that any more.

Take one ride on a WDW bus and one ride on a WDW monorail for proof of all that. And if you really want a stick in the eye, go take a ride on Tokyo Disneyland's monorail system to see how WDW used to run their system in the 20th century.

Inbetween stations, Tokyo CM's walk through the trains cleaning little fingerprint smudges off of windows and sweeping floors.
Tokyo-Disney-Resort-0231-640x425.jpg

At each station the monorail pilot steps out and salutes boarding passengers. Tokyo's monorail pilot CM's wear immaculately tailored white suits, with starched hats and white gloves. And yes, Tokyo has a very hot and humid climate with summers much like Orlando. The Tokyo CM's look like this year round.
Tokyo-Disney-Resort-Spring-2013-03711-640x375.jpg

The point???... It's entirely possible for Disney to run a hyper-efficient, hyper-clean, hyper-courteous transportation system with CM's who are solely focused on the passenger experience as they move tens of thousands of passengers per day. WDW's management team simply chooses not to do that year after year, decade after decade, and instead is now fiddling around with Uber surveys. That's total failure on WDW management's part.

Last edited:

asianway

I started renting cars for WDW visits about a decade ago, just to avoid most of WDW's internal transportation system. I just can't deal with the crowds, the inefficiency, the sloppy monorail and boat CM's, the crazy and/or annoying bus drivers, nor can I deal with the smells and stickiness of enclosed WDW monorail and bus cabins.

I would be very wary of a Disney operated Uber system, because it would just devolve into the sad state the monorails and buses currently are in. With the real Uber, which I've been using more and more lately, you have an independent contractor who keeps their vehicle clean and tidy. It's sad, but Disney can't be trusted to do that any more.

Take one ride on a WDW bus and one ride on a WDW monorail for proof of all that. And if you really want a stick in the eye, go take a ride on Tokyo Disneyland's monorail system to see how WDW used to run their system in the 20th century.

Inbetween stations, Tokyo CM's walk through the trains cleaning little fingerprint smudges off of windows and sweeping floors.

At each station the monorail pilot steps out and salutes boarding passengers. Tokyo's monorail pilot CM's wear immaculately tailored white suits, with starched hats and white gloves. And yes, Tokyo has a very hot and humid climate with summers much like Orlando. The Tokyo CM's look like this year round.

The point???... It's entirely possible for Disney to run a hyper-efficient, hyper-clean, hyper-courteous transportation system with CM's who are solely focused on the passenger experience as they move tens of thousands of passengers per day. WDW's management team simply chooses not to do that year after year, decade after decade, and instead is now fiddling around with Uber surveys. That's total failure on WDW management's part.
Side question - Ive never been to Tokyo during death heat conditions. Do they allow the phase 1 and 2 costume modifications like WDW does(Im sure Im butchering the nomenclature)? For example, at a certain temp, Mansion hosts can remove the jacket, and at the next temp, start rolling up sleeves? Thanks

rael ramone

It's 'techy', so it's something they are willing to throw stupid money at.

If it became 'the only game in town' other than renting your own car or the Magical Motorcoach, I wonder if there will be 'forbidden' locations for the Magical Shuttle, like say, competing attractions, eateries, groceries, etc. Parks. On site hotels. Other onsite stuff. Airport. *maybe* Celebration Health. That's it...

TP2000

Side question - Ive never been to Tokyo during death heat conditions. Do they allow the phase 1 and 2 costume modifications like WDW does(Im sure Im butchering the nomenclature)? For example, at a certain temp, Mansion hosts can remove the jacket, and at the next temp, start rolling up sleeves? Thanks

I have never been to Tokyo in the three summer months, it's just too hot. But I have been there in September when it is still very hot and very humid. And once a Super Typhoon rolled through at that time too. The only thing I've ever noticed is that the CM's standing out in front of the Haunted Mansion weren't wearing their coats, and instead just had the vest and necktie on. Once you got inside the ride, they all had their coats on.

But it's a very difficult thing to quantify, because Tokyo CM's always look so much better and so much more professional than their American counterparts in Anaheim or Orlando. And the uniforms they wear are so much more elaborate than the American "shorts and lightly decorated shirt, size XXL" that so many American CM's are outfitted with.

Anytime you want to take a picture of a Tokyo CM they snap to attention and salute you or give you a friendly gesture of some sort. Notice all the little details and accessories the Tokyo CM's are outfitted with, all the notions and buttons on their uniforms. They used to do this in America too through at least the 1980's, until an MBA convinced someone it would be cheaper to get rid of them. Shorts and XXL shirt, with generic ballcap for American CM's.
4793569389_663e30a6d3.jpg
fantasyland-cast-member-tokyo-disneyland-640x441.jpg

I'm sorry, this got way OT from a Disney World Uber system. It's just frustrating to see how low our standards have fallen in this country. Disney used to lead with very high standards, especially at their American theme parks. Where do you think the Japanese learned how to do this and where they got all these old uniform designs from? I worry how Disney's American management today would devalue and destroy a smartly elegant system like Uber.

Last edited:

Rider

I would be very wary of a Disney operated Uber system, because it would just devolve into the sad state the monorails and buses currently are in. With the real Uber, which I've been using more and more lately here at home, you have an independent contractor who keeps their vehicle clean and tidy. It's sad, but Disney can't be trusted to do that any more.

The DL Tokyo monorail also charges a fee to ride.

TP2000

The DL Tokyo monorail also charges a fee to ride.

Correct. They still run it like WDW used to do, charging for a "transportation ticket" that did not have to be purchased if you didn't want to. The monorail systems transports folks outside the parks to the park entrances, as well as stops for some hotels.

For example, Tokyo Disney Resort charges 1100 Yen for a 3-Day monorail and bus ticket. That's roughly $10 at current exchange rate, for a three day monorail and bus pass. It's one of those things you purchase when you buy your 3 Day Park Hopper ticket, although you can also purchase these tickets at the monorail stations. A single-use ticket can also be purchased, currently it's $2.50, or 260 Yen. Theoretically you could ride round and round all day on that ticket, although once you leave a platform you'd need a new ticket to get back on.

Chef Mickey

Step 1: Ban Uber
Step 2: Charge $5/ride one way if under 10 minutes (perhaps between parks) plus $1/each person.
Step 3: Profit.

I could see this working if they can manage to ban Uber. With the way it is now, I'd just pay Uber in the rare case I need a car immediately. Uber can't drive everywhere the buses can currently.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
IF Disney had any sense they would partner with Uber to ensure that there is always a Uber driver available within 5 minutes of a guest request on WDW property and split revenue with Uber even if it meant 'on-property'rates were higher than the rates in the Orlando Metro area as a whole. But since Disney is greedy and stupid we will have something expensive and slow replacing what used to be included in the admission price.

The Empress Lilly

If Disney would trade in all their buses and make this the only mode of transportation in the World, this could have a lot of benefits. It almost fits the requirement for the horizontal elevator service they looked at several years ago.
In principle, this could be developed into the 21st century mass transportation system. A fleet of driverless Uber cars, available 24/7 at the guest's fingertips, zooming the individual guest from any point A to any point B.

It's at this point of WDW's development what they should aim for anyway. I'd let driverless Google Cars be developed, fine-tuned and showcased here. Where else in America is there a controlled environment of this scale? With the demand for mass public transport of a medium sized city?

Can't believe nobody ever arrived at the idea that an experimental community could be of great use to American industry, who'd pay to showcase their product to a public who'd pay to see it. Oh wait.
But do continue to vend toons and trinkets and timeshare schemes.

The Empress Lilly

I have never been to Tokyo in the three summer months, it's just too hot. But I have been there in September when it is still very hot and very humid. And once a Super Typhoon rolled through at that time too. The only thing I've ever noticed is that the CM's standing out in front of the Haunted Mansion weren't wearing their coats, and instead just had the vest and necktie on. Once you got inside the ride, they all had their coats on.

But it's a very difficult thing to quantify, because Tokyo CM's always look so much better and so much more professional than their American counterparts in Anaheim or Orlando. And the uniforms they wear are so much more elaborate than the American "shorts and lightly decorated shirt, size XXL" that so many American CM's are outfitted with.

Anytime you want to take a picture of a Tokyo CM they snap to attention and salute you or give you a friendly gesture of some sort. Notice all the little details and accessories the Tokyo CM's are outfitted with, all the notions and buttons on their uniforms. They used to do this in America too through at least the 1980's, until an MBA convinced someone it would be cheaper to get rid of them. Shorts and XXL shirt, with generic ballcap for American CM's.
4793569389_663e30a6d3.jpg
fantasyland-cast-member-tokyo-disneyland-640x441.jpg

I'm sorry, this got way OT from a Disney World Uber system. It's just frustrating to see how low our standards have fallen in this country. Disney used to lead with very high standards, especially at their American theme parks. Where do you think the Japanese learned how to do this and where they got all these old uniform designs from? I worry how Disney's American management today would devalue and destroy a smartly elegant system like Uber.
Your posts are a punch in the stomach. :hungover:

I'll console myself with the thought that there is very little else in America on par with Japan, the way there is very little in Colombia or Turkey on par with the US. Compared to Tokyo, central Florida is a tropical Third World beephole.
(Why, even compared to Illinois or Northwest Europe much of Florida is just your usual tropical beephole)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom