News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

DisneyDaver

If Disney would trade in all their buses and make this the only mode of transportation in the World, this could have a lot of benefits. It almost fits the requirement for the horizontal elevator service they looked at several years ago.

If this was the only mode of transportation, then there would be major congestion problems. What do you see as the benefits of cars as the sole (or major) form of transportation at WDW?

MDactor1980

All the time spent waiting for WDW resort buses is what finally convinced us to stay off property. Uber just makes it much easier now. We had a good car service we used, but now Uber gets you there quickly on your schedule. It will be interesting to see how WDW uses this in combo with the bus system.

betty rose

I hope they don't eliminate the bus from the airport. I like getting on a Disney bus. We don't have to drive in the crazy traffic. We are 60+ . We will rethink Disney, if the bus is eliminated. I hope this isn't another step to grab more money, and they continue to offer bus service.

raven

I can think of several reasons they should NOT attempt this but the most reasons I am concerned about is the money that will be taken away from local Uber drivers (which Disney wants).

So many guests at Disney utilize Uber and Lyft due to backed up Disney transportation. In turn, this has actually created a lot of extra income for locals and even a a couple thousand CMs looking to make a little extra cash to supplement their low wages. If Disney decides to do this, those thousands of CMs driving for these services will loose that income. And no, they cannot just be hired by Disney to do the same thing as Disney only allows you to have ONE job with the company.

The real solution is to streamline their own transportation. If that means expanding the monorail, do it. If that means creating an actual People Mover at places like the Boardwalk and Disney Springs area, do it. Expensive? Yes. But they HAVE the money. Adding more and more vehicles on the road (extra busses and possibly this service) is only going to keep delaying the current transportation problem.

MDactor1980

I hope they don't eliminate the bus from the airport. I like getting on a Disney bus. We don't have to drive in the crazy traffic. We are 60+ . We will rethink Disney, if the bus is eliminated. I hope this isn't another step to grab more money, and they continue to offer bus service.
My guess is that the car service would be in addition to the Magical Express and resort buses - not a replacement. Some people are happy with what they have (like you) and some people want more. Hopefully they are trying to please both sets of people!

bee

Ugh. Instead of fixing the system they already have by increasing the number and frequency of buses...we have a good ol' DISNEY CASH GRAB! They will find a way to ban Uber from the resort so they can profit instead. And the regular resort transportation is supposed to be a perk of staying on-site. :mad:

RobidaFlats

I can think of several reasons they should NOT attempt this but the most reasons I am concerned about is the money that will be taken away from local Uber drivers (which Disney wants).

So many guests at Disney utilize Uber and Lyft due to backed up Disney transportation. In turn, this has actually created a lot of extra income for locals and even a a couple thousand CMs looking to make a little extra cash to supplement their low wages. If Disney decides to do this, those thousands of CMs driving for these services will loose that income. And no, they cannot just be hired by Disney to do the same thing as Disney only allows you to have ONE job with the company.

The real solution is to streamline their own transportation. If that means expanding the monorail, do it. If that means creating an actual People Mover at places like the Boardwalk and Disney Springs area, do it. Expensive? Yes. But they HAVE the money. Adding more and more vehicles on the road (extra busses and possibly this service) is only going to keep delaying the current transportation problem.

I completely agree that WDW transportation needs to be upgraded. The mere fact that there is demand for Uber is evidence that there is room for improvement. However, that would also result in the loss of income to Uber drivers which you state as the primary reason that Disney shouldn't create a competing service.

So I don't think that concern for the Uber drivers (while certainly admirable) should be the primary motivator in any business decision. The decision should be based upon what is best for the guests.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Ugh. Instead of fixing the system they already have by increasing the number and frequency of buses...we have a good ol' DISNEY CASH GRAB! They will find a way to ban Uber from the resort so they can profit instead. And the regular resort transportation is supposed to be a perk of staying on-site. :mad:

Not sure if increasing the number of buses is a good solution to help with the overall efficiency. Seems like it would just cause traffic problems/delays...

bee

Not sure if increasing the number of buses is a good solution to help with the overall efficiency. Seems like it would just cause traffic problems/delays...
Well I would have said "building monorails throughout the resort so buses wouldn't be as needed" but we know that's never happening.

Also, you think adding Uber-esque service will do anything to alleviate congestion? If it takes guests away from buses and into smaller vehicles it certainly won't.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Well I would have said "building monorails throughout the resort so buses wouldn't be as needed" but we know that's never happening.

Also, you think adding Uber-esque service will do anything to alleviate congestion? If it takes guests away from buses and into smaller vehicles it certainly won't.

I don't have the data to do any sort of analysis on their transportation system....but I would assume Disney looks at this periodically and decides whether or not a major transportation investment is needed. I would imagine that is what would be needed to make WDW transportation more efficient...a major investment. Of course, I cannot make a determination if such an investment would make sense without having the appropriate data and analysis in front of me. (or really, the expertise in this area)

Bairstow

Can only imagine how much Disney would charge for that service. :greedy:

Maybe not much.
Guests waiting in line for buses aren't spending money.

One thing Disney could do right now to improve the transportation system is to have sensors at each bus stop that read the number of stationary magic band signatures in the area and assign a priority to route buses to address the crowd.

beefog

Since we are on the subject of UBER, and this is off topic. Has anyone used UBER XL on site? Are they easy to get. we are a family of five and would love to use UBER XL, but not if we have to wait 30 minutes

durangojim

Original Poster
I doubt seriously that they would get rid of Magical Express. That is a very big reason we stay on property and pay the higher prices. I imagine we're not the only ones.

durangojim

Original Poster
Since we are on the subject of UBER, and this is off topic. Has anyone used UBER XL on site? Are they easy to get. we are a family of five and would love to use UBER XL, but not if we have to wait 30 minutes
We used uber xl to get from universal to wdw. 8 minute wait. But if you really want to know, just open up the app and choose uber xl and your starting point within WDW and see how long an estimated wait is for whatever time you'd be going. I don't think you'd have long to wait.

raven

So I don't think that concern for the Uber drivers (while certainly admirable) should be the primary motivator in any business decision. The decision should be based upon what is best for the guests.

But this is Disney. Guest concerns doesn't drive their decisions, money does. They've proven this over and over for the past 20+ years. Parks too crowded? Let's charge more to get in. Downtown Disney not doing so hot? Build high-end stores that attract the upper middle class.

If Disney sees their guests spending money on something other than their brand while they are staying on their property, they are gonna tap into that market. This is the reason why Disney mini golf, bowling, Characters in Flight, DisneyQuest, Pleasure Island (retired), and other optional onsite entertainment came into existence. Their goal is to keep your money on a steady stream from your pocket to their bank account.

dizneeboy

I'm all for this as long as the rates don't go up from what Uber charges right now. We woke up at the Poly last year during food and wine to participate in an early morning breakfast at epcot and were told that the monorail would be running to get us over there before park opening, it wasn't. A cast member at the TaTC called a disney van to get us over to the park when I showed him the email. Scenarios like this, and for folks who dont want a long bus ride to DS or to dinner at another resort, screams for Uber rides. We just used Uber to go to Universal during our stay last week and it was completely reasonable and convenient. The congestion at the resort is a legit concern, However, Disney transportation is set up to efficiently moves the masses at a slow pace, not get you from point A to point B quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom