News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Just wondering. If i book a Minnie Van to take me from POR to AKL for a dining reservation and there is some sort of hold up. Will Disney hold your reservation or will the vans be able to inform places of delays etc ?

MattyBear

Lyft is my usual method when I need a ride, whether in Orlando or in Philly. The fares are cheaper and the drivers are typically happier (they freely tell me they all hated driving for Uber and love Lyft far more). During my last visit in April, I took a Lyft from my late dinner at the Poly back to All Star Movies, where I was staying. After checking my ride history, that ride was $12.43 for a 6 mile ride for 2 people. The $20 flat fee is garbage. If you are able to use Uber, do it.

It's not really worth it for two people. It does make more sense with six people and a car seat. The prices are pretty competitive that way.

cdeev8690

It's not really worth it for two people. It does make more sense with six people and a car seat. The prices are pretty competitive that way.

Yeah, I suppose I'll have to acquire some children in order to reap the benefits of this service. On the other hand, if Minnie Van adds a sedan to it's fleet, with a lower flat fee, that wouldn't bother me much. I don't mind taking the shuttles especially as a cost saving measure, but I understand how problematic they can be for families with small children.

Communicora

Premium Member
Thanks for posting that video. I'm glad to hear they will be able to transport one wheelchair or ECV. I wonder if that would include electric wheelchairs too? They don't fold and the people who use them can't always transfer like ECV users can.

Maeryk

Just wondering. If i book a Minnie Van to take me from POR to AKL for a dining reservation and there is some sort of hold up. Will Disney hold your reservation or will the vans be able to inform places of delays etc ?

Disney reservations are pretty good about dealing with issues with transpo, etc. They are typically an hour block, starting at your reservation time, to check in. And if you call and explain, they can often accommodate you as well. There are times you sit, waiting, in front of a resort for 45 minutes, for a bus to X place to come by.. and they know it.

cdeev8690

Are the Minnie Vans ECV friendly? I have seen different answers to this question so I am still unclear.

What you've seen in photos is the midsize SUV, which cannot transport ECV's or wheelchairs. The CM in the video above said that they are still training with the Vans, which apparently will be able to transport one wheelchair or one ECV although she doesn't say when they may roll them out. Hopefully not much longer after this officially launches next week

cdeev8690

I suspect WDW intended target with the Minnie Vans is not 2 people, but rather families and extended families with 6+ people including a couple young kids who need car seats.

I definitely realize that, although I'm still struggling with the flat fee as opposed to the calculated rate based on variables like miles traveled, number of passengers, demand, etc. Perhaps this will change once different sized vehicles are added to their fleet and they are able to get this integrated into their own app instead of through Lyft but I just don't think that's likely.

It's an option if I'm in a bind, but I'll stick with the bus for now.

DisneyDaver

I definitely realize that, although I'm still struggling with the flat fee as opposed to the calculated rate based on variables like miles traveled, number of passengers, demand, etc. Perhaps this will change once different sized vehicles are added to their fleet and they are able to get this integrated into their own app instead of through Lyft but I just don't think that's likely.

It's an option if I'm in a bind, but I'll stick with the bus for now.

Yeah, if it's just my wife and I, we will stick with the bus too. But when I'm at WDW with extended family and kids, we'll likely go with the Minnie Van most of the time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I definitely realize that, although I'm still struggling with the flat fee as opposed to the calculated rate based on variables like miles traveled, number of passengers, demand, etc.

"predictability" "simplicity"

That's what they are selling. Like most things... the value prop may change when your variables change. Free dining is not as valuable to a party of 2 as it is for a party of 5, etc. But that's just part of the promo..

Notes from Neverland

I still wonder what the long-term goal is with the app. It's really puzzling to me that they're using Lyft. I'd have to imagine they'd want to eventually own that space, moving it into their own Disney app.

19FW72

How many vans will there be and what effect will it have on traffic? Are the vans electric or gas vans? Exclusive bus lanes is a good way to solve some of the traffic problems at the resort.

MattyBear

I suspect WDW intended target with the Minnie Vans is not 2 people, but rather families and extended families with 6+ people including a couple young kids who need car seats.

I think you are exactly right. I think Disney is trying to fill a gap in transportation at Disney World. Larger groups that need a car seat. Probably coming from Feedback from resort guests.

Uncle Lupe

I don't know if this is always true. For a simular ride on uber it's only a dollar or two less and at some points even more expensive.

For example a trip from CBR to AKL is about $9.22. However that is only seating 4 people and does not include a cat seat. The same trip with a car seat is $17.29. If you need all the space the mini van provides (8 people) you pay $15.69 (for six 6 people two less than Minnie) with a car seat it is $23.43.

So depending on your party size and need for a car seat MinnieVans (from what i read disney is providing 2 car seats per van which is a good value if you need them)it is actually competitively priced when compared apples to apples. Sure if you and your spouse want a quick ride to Disney Springs Uber is going to be cheaper, want to drag the whole family along and need car seats Minnie might actually work in your favor.
I don't have a service animal but nice to know that the Minnie Van will have a cat seat. :hilarious:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The vans are Chevy Traverses.

It's undetermined. The driver's comments infer there could be different vehicles for ECVs since she said 'our vans are not ready'. Clearly if she was referring to the Traverse... that comment does not make sense as clearly they are available.. and the constraint would be operational stuff.. but she refers to the 'the vans'.

It could mean they aren't operationally ready.. or there will be different vehicles if you need a ECV. Putting a ECV or wheelchair rider in a traverse would require transfer and storage of the ECV in the trunk. This could mean they will have traverse's with lifts or other means to transport the ECV (as I doubt they would force cast members to lift them).. or there could be other vehicles that could allow ECVs without transfer. We'll know soon :)

Dapper Dan

It's undetermined. The driver's comments infer there could be different vehicles for ECVs since she said 'our vans are not ready'. Clearly if she was referring to the Traverse... that comment does not make sense as clearly they are available.. and the constraint would be operational stuff.. but she refers to the 'the vans'.

It could mean they aren't operationally ready.. or there will be different vehicles if you need a ECV. Putting a ECV or wheelchair rider in a traverse would require transfer and storage of the ECV in the trunk. This could mean they will have traverse's with lifts or other means to transport the ECV (as I doubt they would force cast members to lift them).. or there could be other vehicles that could allow ECVs without transfer. We'll know soon :)
The Minnie Van vehicles that are on site now are Chevy Traverses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom