News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I don't have a service animal but nice to know that the Minnie Van will have a cat seat. :hilarious:

Lol well Minnie does need to get Figaro around somehow! But seriously the auto correct on my phone is garbage. And I now also realize that my daughter has also had me watching entirely to much Mickey Mouse Racers to actually know that fact about Figaro lol.

Uncle Lupe

Lol well Minnie does need to get Figaro around somehow! But seriously the auto correct on my phone is garbage. And I now also realize that my daughter has also had me watching entirely to much Mickey Mouse Racers to actually know that fact about Figaro lol.
Yeah. Whenever I backspace to correct something it will duplicate the previous word and it is a frustrating cycle.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was just clarifying as the first sentence of your post implies that it is undetermined if Traverses will be Minnie Vans when they most certainly are.

again..
The driver's comments infer there could be different vehicles for ECVs since she said 'our vans are not ready'.

[...]
This could mean they will have traverse's with lifts or other means to transport the ECV (as I doubt they would force cast members to lift them).. or there could be other vehicles that could allow ECVs without transfer. We'll know soon :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't miss it the first time. Re-read my post.

You don't know what the ECV handling 'minnie vans' will be. The driver's comment even suggests it could be something different from what you see today. My point is it could be a traverse with something added.. or something entirely different. Cast members aren't going to be told to pickup 100-200lb rental ECVs and put them in the trunk of the van. So how do you think the traverse you see now will support an ECV?

A traverse is not big enough to be modified to allow a ECV or wheelchair without transfering. Disney transport is built out everywhere else to allow ECVs without transferring. So you have to reconcile how the existing vehicle you know (traverse) traverse will support ECVs...

Dapper Dan

You don't know what the ECV handling 'minnie vans' will be. The driver's comment even suggests it could be something different from what you see today. My point is it could be a traverse with something added.. or something entirely different. Cast members aren't going to be told to pickup 100-200lb rental ECVs and put them in the trunk of the van. So how do you think the traverse you see now will support an ECV?

A traverse is not big enough to be modified to allow a ECV or wheelchair without transfering. Disney transport is built out everywhere else to allow ECVs without transferring. So you have to reconcile how the existing vehicle you know (traverse) traverse will support ECVs...
We are aggressively agreeing with each other.

mm121

just like they are being equipped with 2 car seats, they could easily put hitch mounted platforms on some of them to enable roll on - roll off ecv handling.

mm121

I don't know if this is always true. For a simular ride on uber it's only a dollar or two less and at some points even more expensive.

For example a trip from CBR to AKL is about $9.22. However that is only seating 4 people and does not include a cat seat. The same trip with a car seat is $17.29. If you need all the space the mini van provides (8 people) you pay $15.69 (for six 6 people two less than Minnie) with a car seat it is $23.43.

So depending on your party size and need for a car seat MinnieVans (from what i read disney is providing 2 car seats per van which is a good value if you need them)it is actually competitively priced when compared apples to apples. Sure if you and your spouse want a quick ride to Disney Springs Uber is going to be cheaper, want to drag the whole family along and need car seats Minnie might actually work in your favor.

even though some versions of the traverse can hold 8, the versions they are using for this will have a passenger capacity of 6

3 in the back back seat, 2 in the mid row bucket seats and 1 person up front with the driver.

flynnibus

Premium Member
just like they are being equipped with 2 car seats, they could easily put hitch mounted platforms on some of them to enable roll on - roll off ecv handling.
Which is what I said before... they would have to be added to (and can't just be the vans as we see now). But that also makes using the trunk extremely difficult.. which presumably they use for the car seats now too.

And the hitch solution would still require transfers... which is a big deal compared to most disney transport options.

mm121

Which is what I said before... they would have to be added to (and can't just be the vans as we see now). But that also makes using the trunk extremely difficult.. which presumably they use for the car seats now too.

And the hitch solution would still require transfers... which is a big deal compared to most disney transport options.

transfers as in you mean the person has to stand up and move from the ecv to to the vehicle?

I'm sure they will find a way to make this accessible to "most" however it isnt being marketed as a handicap van service, so as long as its able to be used by most they should be fine from a legal stand point

people have to transfer from ecv to vehicle when taking a normal uber, uber doesnt have special wheelchair vans rolling around the streets

flynnibus

Premium Member
transfers as in you mean the person has to stand up and move from the ecv to to the vehicle?

Yes, that's what transfer means in this context. You can not stay in your ECV/wheelchair. And in the case of a SUV, that means getting UP to the vehicle and not a horizontal transfer.

people have to transfer from ecv to vehicle when taking a normal uber, uber doesnt have special wheelchair vans rolling around the streets

But uber isn't the one who has coddled millions of guests into using ECVs throughout their property and enabled transfer-less transit on the majority of their transportation.

I'm not worried about legal.. I'm just discussing guest expectations (that Disney has nurtured). The fact the driver so confidently answered the question makes me believe they will have alternate vehicles. But that also means having the ability to request a specific type of vehicle in the app.. which they did not report on yet. So that's another point pointing to using the same vehicles.

mm121

Yes, that's what transfer means in this context. You can not stay in your ECV/wheelchair. And in the case of a SUV, that means getting UP to the vehicle and not a horizontal transfer.

But uber isn't the one who has coddled millions of guests into using ECVs throughout their property and enabled transfer-less transit on the majority of their transportation.

I'm not worried about legal.. I'm just discussing guest expectations (that Disney has nurtured). The fact the driver so confidently answered the question makes me believe they will have alternate vehicles. But that also means having the ability to request a specific type of vehicle in the app.. which they did not report on yet. So that's another point pointing to using the same vehicles.

I doubt disney even knows what there doing about some of these issues/questions people are bringing up

hence why this is a test and being rolled out slow, they didnt just get 3,000 vehicles delivered and just start them all up over night

so they can see what the feedback is and what types of customers are wishing to use this service and build from there.

though the name will be a bit odd and confusing if the Minnie Vans, consist of SUV's, mini busses, regular vans or just whatever random vehicles they can get their hands on

would be curious to know if Chevrolet is somehow sponsoring this service or if these vehicles are overstock since they did say they are 2017 not new 2018 models

Dapper Dan

More than likely fleet leasing with or with some love from chevy
As soon as I saw them I thought sponsorship bucks. Not to mention that the vehicles were sighted being stored at Test Track.

I would be shocked if the fleet didn't include vehicles with lifts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom