Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

RSoxNo1

I'm sure the surveys indeed show just what those in the upper echelons want. A veritable safety blanket of righteousness.....
I'm guessing the surveys went something like this:
1. Would you like to see a Frozen Attraction?
346. How would you rank Maelstrom?

I sincerely doubt any truly objective survey was conducted that asked the question about replacing Maelstrom with Frozen.

crispy

I have pondered this change for a few months, I have read this thread, and...I still just can't get worked up about this change. WS isn't what it used to be and will never be what it used to be. I just hope that it is well done.

roj2323

That's not cool. You should chill out :cyclops:
tumblr_inline_mvp8zujOrq1rz2ce8.gif

rustysgirl

i'm officially in mourning. I get frozen is popular (right now). I just wish they would put this in the MK or HS or anywhere really. epcot especially world showcase is my favorite area in all of the parks. its more for adults. its being immersed in the different countries. i'm ok with seeing mulan doing a meet & greet in china and other characters in other countries doing meet & greets but don't take away the beauty of the countries. now they are going to splash glitter & princesses everywhere and this is not ok. =( I love everything about maelstrom. always have ever since my first trip there. as a kid I rode it for the first time at nighttime and there was something awesome (& darker without the sunshine coming through) about splashing around in the sea in my boat. I thought the backwards bit was awesome. anyways i'm rambling & upset at this news. it will be interesting to see how they do this. will they leave the ride portion as is and just replace the trolls & polar bears with elsa & anna? or will they completely gut it for something different? also in my rambling I just want to say I can't believe what they did to the church out front. (its really all frozen stuff now?) I wish they would have announced this sooner I would have ridden it more than once on my last trip & taken in everything. =/ Disney, why are you slowly replacing each ride at epcot with a crappier version?? ok i'm done. BRB going to watch ride video on youtube.

hpyhnt 1000

When Romeo and Juliet is redone in modern NYC - does that make the story about NYC?

Don't confuse SETTING with ABOUT

Frozen is SET in Norway - but is not ABOUT Norway or project anything about the kingdom except it can be cold, there are magically trolls and people have Inuit like features.

Is that the case? I was always under the impression it was NOT set in Norway but rather a fictional place that looked like/was inspired by the landscape of Norway. Sort of like how Aladdin is set in a place that looks like Morocco but does not actually take place in Morocco.

BigTxEars

Or, you could improve upon the abridged ending of Maelstrom with a Mystic Manor level storm/finale. Upgrade a ride while keeping it relevant and build Frozen in Fantasyland where it belongs.

That would be cool as well, they could do wonders with a storm I bet with todays tech.

PlutoHasFleas

Is that the case? I was always under the impression it was NOT set in Norway but rather a fictional place that looked like/was inspired by the landscape of Norway. Sort of like how Aladdin is set in a place that looks like Morocco but does not actually take place in Morocco.
Nah, Arendal Norway and Arendelle are the same place now.

BigTxEars

Frozen is based on Scandinavian folklore. As are the trolls in Maelstrom. We're not pretending that Maelstrom didn't have any fantasy elements in it. Our objection is that there are countless better places for Frozen than in World Showcase.

I would be fine with a Frozen ride at DHS or MK but from a business standpoint I can see why they choose WS and Norway. I can't say it's the best fit (that is a pretty subjective thing IMO) there but it certainly has a connection to Norway so it's not a bad fit IMO.

BigTxEars

Ok, but seriously everyone, if you don't understand how Frozen-mania has cast a spell on Disney decision makers, Google "Frozen sing-a-long DVD".

They are re-releasing the same movie with subtitles and they are going to make a lot of money doing so. It's completely insane! When have we EVER heard of 2+ hour waits for a MEET & GREET?! What powers do these girls truly have?!?

Hey now I saw the sing along version in the theater :)

Saw the regular version twice and the sing along the third time we saw it. It was more fun that I thought it would be.

minsmk

Right, but you're justifying the placement of a Frozen attraction only because your daughter would like a Frozen attraction. Her appreciation of it is not the debate here, the placement of the attraction is. No one is saying, "Don't build a Frozen attraction". We're saying, build a Frozen attraction, don't half @$$ it, and don't build it in Epcot.

Yeah, they can build a Frozen attraction in MK even if they got rid of *Gasp* Peter Pan's flight.. Nah I'd still be upset if they got rid of that, it's a classic and one of the few things little boys like to do in fantasyland.

FigmentsFangirl

When Romeo and Juliet is redone in modern NYC - does that make the story about NYC?

Don't confuse SETTING with ABOUT

Frozen is SET in Norway - but is not ABOUT Norway or project anything about the kingdom except it can be cold, there are magically trolls and people have Inuit like features.
No no, I am not saying that Frozen is ABOUT Norway, just that it is set in Norway, and based on the culture. Never said anything of Frozen being about Norway. never said anything of the sort

FigmentsFangirl

Hey now I saw the sing along version in the theater :)

Saw the regular version twice and the sing along the third time we saw it. It was more fun that I thought it would be.
Same here, saw the movie itself on DVD; then saw the sing-a-long version about I honestly forget how many times. Its just too fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom