Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did ANYONE watch "Making of Frozen" on ABC two weeks ago ? The makers WENT TO NORWAY DIRECTLY sure the STORY of the film is based off a HCA story from Denmark, but the LOCATIONS and PEOPLE in the film were inspired and BASED ON Norway itself!

When Romeo and Juliet is redone in modern NYC - does that make the story about NYC?

Don't confuse SETTING with ABOUT

Frozen is SET in Norway - but is not ABOUT Norway or project anything about the kingdom except it can be cold, there are magically trolls and people have Inuit like features.

Cesar R M

I was reading my Epcot Center book this morning, the one that they put out to hype the park opening in 1982.
In it, in the WS section, it said that every single item for sale in WS gift shops were "made in the country" itself. Wow, I can't even begin to imagine that these days. What is the current percentage of that? 1%?
It's again the difference. I am sure that Disney was looking to make money on those gifts in 1982, but they did so with thought and purpose toward the host nations. Now it's all done and over. Norway is dead.
I actually wonder, arent most products now made in china?
I went to Alaska and almost all small souvenirs said MADE IN CHINA. very little ones had the MADE IN ALASKA.
Same in my own country. Most of the little souvenirs are made in china :/

minsmk

Hey guys, not to change the subject but I had an idea..

Since Maelstrom is closing on the 5th, I thought I would try to get 26 rides in. I saw this guy on Inside the Magic's page on One more Disney Day and I thought I could do something along these lines (But with a notebook that says what is on his shirt..)

6801042052_4bbf1372c1.jpg

What do you think? Also if any one else will be there that day, you will probably see me there lol.

MotherOfBirds

If the rest of WS had as much imported merch as Japan, I would be a very happy camper. But I guess that merch is a resort-wide problem.

What are the chances that the trolls will live on? That seems to be what everyone remembers from Maelstrom and Norway in general

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like I posted I will let the Norwegians decide what is representative of their culture and what is not. It's not my place to do so. From the evidence I see they have embraced Frozen.

Don't take the tourist industry's interest in new visitors as a representation of cultural sentiment.

I'm sure when people walk up to the palace (yes, there is palace in Oslo) and ask for Princesses Anna... it will get old.

minsmk

Wow.. Looking at the MDE app and what a slow week 0_0 Kali has a 30 minute wait, EE has a 15 (how?), And Dinosaur has a 10 minute wait.

Mk is super busy today. 7DMT is 70, Space is 65, Little Mermaid is 50, Pirates is 40, Splash is 55, HM is 35, and Speedway is 30.. 0_0

flynnibus

Premium Member
But they are all different countries. I bet if you ask someone from Norway, they will disagree with your assertion that their country can be justifiably lumped with the rest of Scandinavia. People from different South American countries don't generally like to be linked and generalized either, nor do people from Europe. Just because you don't know much about the differences in these cultures doesn't mean the differences don't exist.

Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are all very well educated in the history of the Danes ruling them all and the common roots in much of their culture. It's not nearly as separatist as it is in the mainland of Europe. Norwegians and Swedes do not take offense to be taken for one another, etc. They cross-mingle fine and even talk to each other in their own native language asynchronously which is pretty neat. And they all like to make fun of the Danes :)

The older population can be very nationalist... and very protective of their culture... but they all understand and acknowledge the common roots.

I would paint it much more like two states in the US arguing with each other.. vs say French fighting with a German.

RSoxNo1

You're right, she probably would be. But that doesn't mean I have to say I love this happening because of it.
Right, but you're justifying the placement of a Frozen attraction only because your daughter would like a Frozen attraction. Her appreciation of it is not the debate here, the placement of the attraction is. No one is saying, "Don't build a Frozen attraction". We're saying, build a Frozen attraction, don't half @$$ it, and don't build it in Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom