Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

lebeau

You made the argument that since it was making a profit, it didn't need to change. That is the most tired argument.

When you explained further in another post, I agreed with you. So we're good!

I was actually responding to Master Yoda who used the word "unprofitable" to describe Epcot.

I admit, I came down hard on your response. I have a knee-jerk irrational Hulk-out any time someone whips out the ol' "Disney is a business" line. By now, we all know that. Pent up frustration from years of posting here. My bad.

But hey, it's all good. We agree more than not.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Please name something done at WDW lately that you disagree with. I need to relate to you in some capacity.
Where do I start?

20k should still be in MK
AC should still be open at PI or at least relocated.
Horizons should have been continually updated.
The post show at M:S is beyond craptacular.
A special events pavilion should have been built on one of the expansion pads and WoL should still be open.
What has happened to the Imagination pavilion is nothing short of criminal.
I would love to personally place C4 charges at the base of the BAH.
SM should have been gutted to the walls on the last refurb.

The list goes on and on.

lebeau

Up-squirrel.gif

WDWMAgic poster's trying to stay on topic.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Holy smokes, a disparaging comment made it onto the blog page, how long till it's removed:
Michael from NC on September 12th, 2014 at 2:58 pm
I strongly disapprove of replacing a ride about the history and folklore of Norway with one about a fairy tale that has nothing to do with Norway.

I also wish you would stop dragging out that Walt quote to justify changes that you know will be unpopular.
Good thing you copied that. Who knows how long it will stay up....

And the DPB Twitter feed is taking an absolute beating....

WDWF

Its a shame that Disney are replacing a well loved, and still extremely popular attraction, which has been part of EPCOT's History for a 'Temporary' Money maker. Although i, like many many others, love Frozen and would love to see a new ride come to EPCOT, rather than just 'Updating' an original ride, such as Test Track. As soon as the next big seller for Disney comes along, which surely wont be long, we will be left with a ride which has replaced a classic Disney Ride.

Just as Shame that Disney couldn't find a way to keep both rides, even if they kept Malestrom and replaced the old film at the end of the ride that would be a major improvement.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When I find a way to travel to an alternate universe where Disney did right by Epcot, I'll let you know. Then you'll see how wrong you were. ;)
Just let me know what plane of existence that world is on and I will move myself and the family there.

My biggest lament about the current state of Epcot is my kids did not get to see it like I did.

boufa

I might be in the minority... and I admittedly am a fan of the parks, and WDW.. bordering on fanboy. I can take it. I absolutely hate how the vast majority of the "fans" on these forums do nothing but criticize and bash, every single thing Disney does.... But I am starting to hate Epcot. I am bored of it (and I don't go there very often) It needs life, it needs energy, it needs attractions. Frozen could actually turn out to be a great upgrade... Epcot is so stale right now even fresh paint would be an improvement... oh wait, they tried that and it didn't help.

Epcot is soooooo stale. I love the dynamics and the change of Disney... but Epcot has very little of it. Things change...MTV doesn't play videos. The Learning Channel's top show is Honey Boo Boo. Businesses evolve, or they die... and right now Epcot is dying. If it wasn't for food and wine, I was going to skip it all together next trip.

Oh, and many, many, many people have kids (all of our parents did) Many of us started going to Disney as kids. Well, Epcot still is not a kid park. World showcase just doesn't do it for kids. Sure Agent P has helped a bit... but in the end, the entire family has to find a reason to visit a park, and a lot of younger kids (frozen target market) are more interested in spending the day at a child care center, than walking around world showcase.

One last point... Disney has always moved too slow to include newer fresher movies into the parks. YOU may hate frozen, but it is the biggest Disney product every.. period. Your darn right they are milking this cow. They need to keep on milking it... also if you look at the Frozen stuff, none of it is permanent, The HS stuff could end any day now, the meet and greet is ok, but there are meet and greets for movies that are over 50 years old, so thats nothing special. The chirstmas castle thing, that is only seasonal. This time next year, the Maelstrom re-do and meet and greet could be the only thing Frozen in the parks.

DoTheImpossible

Very disappointed, my great grandparents emigrated from Norway, so I've always enjoyed this pavilion and saw it as a chance to experience the culture of my ancestors. I hope they at least keep the movie at the end (though updated) and that it is about Norway and its people. Otherwise, why even call it a Norway pavilion if it's completely devoted to Frozen.

It makes sense to use the theater area for either a queue expansion, the mentioned meet & greet or another show scene. That movie is probably dead in the water.

DisUniversal

Profit is relative. 20 million a year is better than 1.

I also tend to think that Disney righted the ship before Epcot ran in the red. If an unaltered 1995 version of Epcot still remained, I think the black ink would not.
Based on the alterations, I'm not so sure. Since 1995, what have they touched in Epcot where the end result was better than the original? Journey into Imagination? Horizons? Wonder's of Life/Body Wars? World of Motion? Living Seas? Odyssey restaurant? El Rio del Tiempo? Ice Station Cool (or whatever it was called)? Off-Kilter to a lumberjack show?

Last edited:

Oriolesmagic

Well obviously Fantasyland would be the best option, that's a no brainer. But where, "EXACTLY"?

Would you take out a ride there as well? The Speedway? Barnstomer? Or try to fit it somewhere else?

ctxak98

This is truly sad! Maelstrom will be missed very much!

I just don't get what Disney is doing anymore.....yes frozen is a very successful and should be implemented into the parks! But the way they are going about it is all wrong! A ride at magic kingdom and a show at Hollywood studios is where this movie should be showcased! Not taking over a countries pavilion because the movie was "inspired" by the country.

Bolna

Holy smokes, a disparaging comment made it onto the blog page, how long till it's removed:
Michael from NC on September 12th, 2014 at 2:58 pm
I strongly disapprove of replacing a ride about the history and folklore of Norway with one about a fairy tale that has nothing to do with Norway.

I also wish you would stop dragging out that Walt quote to justify changes that you know will be unpopular.

One could even think that they realised that people were discussing the fully positive replies on the DPB and decided to leave a few negative through as cover up... :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom