Disney Chase Visa card - worth it for trips?

oommggitskait

Getting ready to start planning our first big trip as a family of three next fall and wondering if getting the chase card would be to our benefit.
Currently , I have a southwest visa rewards card that I'm ready to get rid of. The perks are great, but we just don't find it convenient to fly Southwest anymore. My husband has Venture card and is racking up some miles for us. So I'm in the market for another rewards card and am considering the Disney Chase Visa card.
I know that using credit cards and rewards programs can be pretty variable person to person, but looking for anyones personal opinion on how the card worked (or didn't work!) for them.I've read all their perks and fine print about rewards points and in park discounts, but just looking for some actual real life user advice!
Does the card actually save you on booking your trip? Or just when you're actually IN the park? Looks like only a small amount of restaurants offer discounts, do you find that limiting? They're pretty vague on what types of merchandise is discounted and what isn't; what are your experiences?
Really, anything you can share would be awesome!

Thanks everyone!

Smiley/OCD

This made me giggle. 100% human and we are DEFINITELY going before he turns 3. Next fall puts him at almost 2 years old - perfect timing, if you ask me! Hoping to get our first haircut at the barbershop :)

This also made me giggle - but so true. I've had fraud on my debit card (oops! won't be using that on the interwebs anymore!) with PNC bank as well as my Chase Southwest card - and BOTH were caught by the banks before me. A good website is a must! Good advice

Oh! That's interesting, that you can keep adding points while you are there.

So here's another question - if I link the Disney Chase card up to my magic band, will I still get in park discounts? My guess is NO because you have to be using the ACTUAL card for the purchase, right?
You can double check, but I think you do...

Upvote 0

zero creativity

We have the premier version and I know that there are other cards that can give better rewards but since Disney is our chosen vacation spot it works for us.
We use the card for everything and pay it off in full every month. Usually we get enough in a 2 year time period to almost pay for our park tickets

Upvote 0

Jedi Stitch

We used it to finance our trip. It took a few days before we got some good tips about the card. The card usually had 10% off $100 + purchases. There are Chase lounges in the parks if you ask about them. Some of the meet and greets have special Chase card "EMH" Launch Bay had a special card members only time to see the launch bay meet n greets. Since we charged the trip to the card, we already had several hundred Micky dollars on a gift card. We were able to get a gift card from customer service at city hall since we started in MK, but we had to call the customer service number to get the card loaded with money. we found many of the chase perk do not extend to the cruises, so charge the cruse to the card, but plan to use the money at the parks.

Upvote 0

Dr.GrantSeeker

We used to have a Disney Visa a few years back but ended up switching to a Capital One venture. We got more points back on the Venture and the rewards weren't locked to just Disney purchases. We've used the points to pay for airfare when flying in the past. This year we used to them to pay for 4 5-day tickets from Undercover tourist and a 1 night hotel stay during our drive into Orlando.
I'm currently looking at the Capital One Venture card. Do you like it? From what I know, it seems like this is something that is right up my alley.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm currently looking at the Capital One Venture card. Do you like it? From what I know, it seems like this is something that is right up my alley.

Venture card costs $60/yr and gives you 2% back but in travel reward dollars. Why take a dollar reward that isn't higher than cash rewards but is limited in what you can spend it on? And the cash card is free?

The 400 dollar bonus up front is good... that would be the only reason I'd get it.

Upvote 0

oommggitskait

Original Poster

I'm really between the Disney card and the Venture card. And even after all of these posts in this thread, I'm still leaning towards the Venture card...

Upvote 0

nolatron

We've been pretty happy it. There's a $60/year fee after the first year but I feel the service we get from Capital One had been worth it. The fraud protection service is great when we've had to use it. Never any issues there. We also bank with Capital One so having everything all linked up together is nice. The card is also a Visa Signature card so you get some extra perks with that. and if you travel internationally, there's no foreign transaction fees on purchases.

We got a rewards card basically for our vacations, so only being able to redeem for travel purchases for us isn't a big deal, and at the time when we switched away from the Disney visa, the Venture was the best card at the time. To make the most of it, we also charge *everything* we possibly can to earn rewards on it, and then pay off our balance monthly. Our last Disney trip was in February. so about 6 months later we're already at 43,500 miles ($435 in rewards). Do that for two years between trips and we've got quite the balance. :)

Are there better cards? Maybe, probably.... but to me, even though it's $60/year now we've been happy with it and I don't think it's worth saving $60/year to switch to another company and hope I get the same great service and features I'm getting now.

Upvote 0

Dr.GrantSeeker

We've been pretty happy it. There's a $60/year fee after the first year but I feel the service we get from Capital One had been worth it. The fraud protection service is great when we've had to use it. Never any issues there. We also bank with Capital One so having everything all linked up together is nice. The card is also a Visa Signature card so you get some extra perks with that. and if you travel internationally, there's no foreign transaction fees on purchases.

We got a rewards card basically for our vacations, so only being able to redeem for travel purchases for us isn't a big deal, and at the time when we switched away from the Disney visa, the Venture was the best card at the time. To make the most of it, we also charge *everything* we possibly can to earn rewards on it, and then pay off our balance monthly. Our last Disney trip was in February. so about 6 months later we're already at 43,500 miles ($435 in rewards). Do that for two years between trips and we've got quite the balance. :)

Are there better cards? Maybe, probably.... but to me, even though it's $60/year now we've been happy with it and I don't think it's worth saving $60/year to switch to another company and hope I get the same great service and features I'm getting now.

Thank you for the insight!

Upvote 0

sgtbtlbailey

We used it to finance our trip. It took a few days before we got some good tips about the card. The card usually had 10% off $100 + purchases. There are Chase lounges in the parks if you ask about them. Some of the meet and greets have special Chase card "EMH" Launch Bay had a special card members only time to see the launch bay meet n greets. Since we charged the trip to the card, we already had several hundred Micky dollars on a gift card. We were able to get a gift card from customer service at city hall since we started in MK, but we had to call the customer service number to get the card loaded with money. we found many of the chase perk do not extend to the cruises, so charge the cruse to the card, but plan to use the money at the parks.

You CAN use your points on the Disney Cruise - we just did it in February. Anything on your cruise folio.......we transferred all of our points to a rewards card before we left and then had guest services transfer the money from the rewards card to our state room folio as soon as we got onboard. It covered our tips, excursions, the kids' magic bands for the kid's club and even our daughter's Bippidi Boppity Boutique visit. :)

Upvote 0

DisneyFans4Life

My wife and I have had the Disney Visa card for quite a few years now and use it as our only charge card. We have the premier card, so we get double points on Disney, restaurant, gas and grocery purchases. What's nice is that anything you buy at Wal-Mart or Target is considered double points...so it doesn't just have to be food.

Plus on your 1 year anniversary they give you bonus rewards points.

For us specifically, this card has been great because being only an hour away from Disney, we tend to go a lot. We've used the rewards dollars to pay for food while on vacation or even as a shopping day while on vacation. We are planning a trip in March 2018 which we'll most likely use some of our points to pay for the resort.

When we're on vacation, we like to buy souvenirs that we otherwise wouldn't buy, and having the rewards dollars on hand is a nice perk.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

As several PPs have pointed out, the rewards aren't bad, but there are definitely better cards out there. You don't really get anything that is really unique or worth that much. Cardholders will typically get a few days jump on the General Public/AP releases for discounts, but the discounts themselves tend to be the same as the general public can get. You do get the 10% merch discount if you spend over $50, and the ability to do the cardholder M&Gs, and 6 month interest free on packages, but that's really it. Occasionally there are cardholder pins you can buy, or discounts at other things like the Broadway shows, but not terribly often.

Oh! That's interesting, that you can keep adding points while you are there.

You can add points at any time over the phone. This is necessary as you can pick up a blank/unlinked rewards card at any of the guest services windows at the parks (Or DS) and link/activatate/fund the rewards card on the phone. So if you forgot to do it in advance, you can do it while at WDW.

So here's another question - if I link the Disney Chase card up to my magic band, will I still get in park discounts? My guess is NO because you have to be using the ACTUAL card for the purchase, right?

Assuming you are staying on property, technically no. You would need to actually pay with the card. The charging privileges on the bands is just charging to your room account, which WDW has no way of knowing how you will settle. Some CMs will let you just show the card and pay with other means, but technically you need to pay with the card.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom