Disney Chase Visa card - worth it for trips?

oommggitskait

Getting ready to start planning our first big trip as a family of three next fall and wondering if getting the chase card would be to our benefit.
Currently , I have a southwest visa rewards card that I'm ready to get rid of. The perks are great, but we just don't find it convenient to fly Southwest anymore. My husband has Venture card and is racking up some miles for us. So I'm in the market for another rewards card and am considering the Disney Chase Visa card.
I know that using credit cards and rewards programs can be pretty variable person to person, but looking for anyones personal opinion on how the card worked (or didn't work!) for them.I've read all their perks and fine print about rewards points and in park discounts, but just looking for some actual real life user advice!
Does the card actually save you on booking your trip? Or just when you're actually IN the park? Looks like only a small amount of restaurants offer discounts, do you find that limiting? They're pretty vague on what types of merchandise is discounted and what isn't; what are your experiences?
Really, anything you can share would be awesome!

Thanks everyone!

DisneyPrincess5

DH and I have had the cards for years and we love getting the reward points
We truly buy almost everything with our cards so we get as many points as possible and we pay off the cards in full twice a month. We go to WDW every 1-2 (closer to two now) years and we choose to use our rewards to pay for our food for our trip. Our travel party is just DH and I. We get super excited that our food is kind of free (money was spent to get it, but the rewards are free money afterwards!) and it helps our trip feel easier financially.

There are other card perks like percentage off some Disney purchases including inside the parks, early special event notifications, and more.

I've had fraud twice over the past decade I've had the card that was handled extremely quickly, efficiently, and respectfully.

We've enjoyed the cards for sure!

Upvote 0

belledream

We took advantage of the merchandise discount...our experience was that you get 10% off of purchases for $50 or more (in one transaction). We did it at MouseGear, used the card, mentioned the discount, worked perfectly.

I don't think the card saves you money in booking your trip (unless you're looking at it from a rewards perspective) but in past years, Visa cardholders were able to book special offers a week in advance of the general public...so that's where we found the most benefit.

Upvote 0

oommggitskait

Original Poster
DH and I have had the cards for years and we love getting the reward points
We truly buy almost everything with our cards so we get as many points as possible and we pay off the cards in full twice a month. We go to WDW every 1-2 (closer to two now) years and we choose to use our rewards to pay for our food for our trip. Our travel party is just DH and I. We get super excited that our food is kind of free (money was spent to get it, but the rewards are free money afterwards!) and it helps our trip feel easier financially.

There are other card perks like percentage off some Disney purchases including inside the parks, early special event notifications, and more.

I've had fraud twice over the past decade I've had the card that was handled extremely quickly, efficiently, and respectfully.

We've enjoyed the cards for sure!

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like you guys work the rewards system perfectly. Definitely nice to use rewards for food.
My Southwest card is also by Chase and they've caught fraud for me a few times too. They'e definitely good at that.

We took advantage of the merchandise discount...our experience was that you get 10% off of purchases for $50 or more (in one transaction). We did it at MouseGear, used the card, mentioned the discount, worked perfectly.

I don't think the card saves you money in booking your trip (unless you're looking at it from a rewards perspective) but in past years, Visa cardholders were able to book special offers a week in advance of the general public...so that's where we found the most benefit.

Thank you! Glad to know you need to mention the discount.
Yeah, wasn't sure if there were any "booking" perks. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Dr.GrantSeeker

While you are interested in getting a Disney Visa, I am getting ready to cancel mine. Don't get me wrong I was obsessed with my Disney Visa when I first got it. But since I got my JetBlue MasterCard I rarely use my Disney anymore. It just isn't worth the reward points especially if you travel to a lot of different places that aren't Disney. As much as I travel to Disney, I travel way more to other places. Can't bring those Disney dollars with me to Chicago or other major cities or where ever I am in the world. Disney Visa is good if you only travel to Disney Parks.

It does not save any money while booking your trips. Never thought the discounts were that good to begin with. Half the time I mention it when I'm at the parks and I'm told there are no discounts associated with being a cardholder. While there are discounts, they are very limited and hard to find if you don't know where you are looking, which is always the case with me....unless the Chase lounge makes an apprentice at Epcot.

But like I said if you travel to Disney way more than other places, the Disney Visa is for you. Hope this is helpful!

Upvote 0

Disneymom64

My DH and I both have the cards. We go to the World 4 or 5 times a year and use the points to pay for all our food and snacks. Of course we choose to pay everything with our cards to rack up the points. It's a system that has worked for us for several years. We are AP holders and only live 2 hours away. Never had a problem getting the perks or discounts associated with the card.

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

We have the card and use it some times (our AMEX usually gives better return on spending). In addition to getting access to discount offers a week ahead of the general public (which helps if you can plan ahead and are trying to book a resort where availability is limited for that offer), you do get extra points back if you use the card to pay for the trip. We normally use the points to pay off the magic band charges. If you like meet and greets, there are some special ones for cardholders, with the main benefit being no line.

Upvote 0

Mark P.

I agree with others above - the return rate on the Disney Visa isn't worth it at all to me compared to several other travel cards with far more robust and versatile rewards programs, I only have it because it's fee-free and gets me access to things like the cardholder character meet & greets at Epcot and DHS, but you don't need to actually pay for any part of your trip using the card to take advantage of those benefits. Otherwise, it sits at home the rest of the time.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

I only carry one card and it's the only one I recommend. The BankAmericard Travel Rewards VISA. No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees. There are other cards that offer more robust rewards (I get 1.5 points per every dollar spent), but I find this card to be the best one without either of those fees.

Upvote 0

sgtbtlbailey

We have the premiere version so we get double points on gas, groceries, restaurants and anything purchased through Disney - Disney Store, Parks App, Walt Disney Travel Company. I don't see it mentioned anywhere here yet, but if you pay for your vacation with the card, you get 6 months interest free to pay it off. We appreciate the advance notice/booking for deals (like when free dining opens up) and often get offers for special Broadway packages, Disney On Ice tickets and even Aulani packages. This summer they also had a promo where we received 4x points on any utilities charged to the card and since we use it to pay our bills anyway, it was a nice bonus. We've never had an issue using the discounts at WDW, though there are limited locations that offer it as others have mentioned. If you're a coffee drinker, Joffrey's is 20% off all the time for cardholders whether you're at one of the stores on property or order through their website. I agree that other cards may offer larger return if you travel to different places, but if the majority of your vacations are at Disney in some form, I would recommend this card.

Upvote 0

oommggitskait

Original Poster
Wow everyone, thanks for all great feedback. Definitely glad to have multiple perspectives.
We travel to the world once every 1-2 years, but now have a new little addition to our family, so not sure if that means we'll be going more or less frequently yet.
You've all helped to highlight the strengths and weakness of the card, so thanks a ton!

Upvote 0

nolatron

We used to have a Disney Visa a few years back but ended up switching to a Capital One venture. We got more points back on the Venture and the rewards weren't locked to just Disney purchases. We've used the points to pay for airfare when flying in the past. This year we used to them to pay for 4 5-day tickets from Undercover tourist and a 1 night hotel stay during our drive into Orlando.

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

Wow everyone, thanks for all great feedback. Definitely glad to have multiple perspectives.
We travel to the world once every 1-2 years, but now have a new little addition to our family, so not sure if that means we'll be going more or less frequently yet.
You've all helped to highlight the strengths and weakness of the card, so thanks a ton!
Congratulations on your new addition. If it is a human, you should definitely bring it to the World, especially before it turns 3 and you have to buy it a ticket.

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

There is something no one seems to ask, when rating different CCs.....

Beyond "points", "credits", "tokens" - how good is the WEBSITE when (not if) you encounter FRAUD?

Just us - (and we can only speak for the cards we have) - CHASE anything is wonderful. Cap 1 is wonderful. Ally is so bad that I can not post proper language.

In the end, "cash back" is great. But the real deal is - what options do you have when your card is charged by a very nice person in Uzbekistan? While you are on vacation?

MANY "card companies" use an agent site, and the reply is always "call call call". Both CHASE, and Cap 1 have GREAT, FUNCTIONAL websites that will allow you to report fraud, and challenge fraud, from anywhere on the Planet. When "Peggy" from the Peoples Republic of Zaganistan snatches your CC number and CCV on the Dark Web? You are going to want GREAT CC Company response :).

We SUSPECT Citi can also do this..... but we have no direct data. We DO know that ALLY can not.... great BANK, crippled third party CC site - we are getting rid of our Ally Card for this reason: No effective online Fraud reporting :(.

Now, given CHASE has a WONDERFUL online site..... which card? We are seriously considering ditching our "Disney Rewards" Card for the Chase "Freedom Unlimited" card.

"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong."

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've never had a problem with reporting/fighting fraud on my cards... but my cards are usually all major banks. BoA, Chase, Discover, etc.

Chase seems very proactive... Discover has proactively cut stuff off too.. I've never had a problem contesting charges anywhere. Supposedly AMEX is really willing to fight for charge-backs on behalf of unsatisfied customers.

I used the BoA rewards program for a long time but realized their 'per quarter' limits would limit my rewards all the time, even tho the percentage for rewards was much higher (5%). I did the math based on prior card activity and found that the 2% offered by Citi by far made way more money for me than the 1%+5% category cards.. or of course the 1.5% cards.

Most rewards programs have limited redemptions, or redemptions aren't as strong as cash... so I stick to the cash rewards and just let them accumulate. Then when I have a big bill or big month... I just flush some of the build up as a credit against the statement and enjoy the free money.

I keep a chase sapphire card for perks.. and the chase disney for perks. But I run my main bills through the 2% card.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

We have it and use the card to pay for the vacations to the World...we accrue points by gasoline purchases, etc. and use the points to pay for tips for our meals...one less reason to carry $$$. We also have a Citi thank you card which we use the points earned for a rental car while we're there...FREE rental car for the week. If you get the card, just remember about a month BEFORE you leave, contact them and they will convert the points to a Disney gift card to use. When you get there, any points earned that month can be added to the gift card at their booth at Disney Springs. Many people don't like it, but we LOVE it...it's a matter of taste.

Upvote 0

oommggitskait

Original Poster
Congratulations on your new addition. If it is a human, you should definitely bring it to the World, especially before it turns 3 and you have to buy it a ticket.

This made me giggle. 100% human and we are DEFINITELY going before he turns 3. Next fall puts him at almost 2 years old - perfect timing, if you ask me! Hoping to get our first haircut at the barbershop :)

There is something no one seems to ask, when rating different CCs.....

Beyond "points", "credits", "tokens" - how good is the WEBSITE when (not if) you encounter FRAUD?

Just us - (and we can only speak for the cards we have) - CHASE anything is wonderful. Cap 1 is wonderful. Ally is so bad that I can not post proper language.

In the end, "cash back" is great. But the real deal is - what options do you have when your card is charged by a very nice person in Uzbekistan? While you are on vacation?

MANY "card companies" use an agent site, and the reply is always "call call call". Both CHASE, and Cap 1 have GREAT, FUNCTIONAL websites that will allow you to report fraud, and challenge fraud, from anywhere on the Planet. When "Peggy" from the Peoples Republic of Zaganistan snatches your CC number and CCV on the Dark Web? You are going to want GREAT CC Company response :).

We SUSPECT Citi can also do this..... but we have no direct data. We DO know that ALLY can not.... great BANK, crippled third party CC site - we are getting rid of our Ally Card for this reason: No effective online Fraud reporting :(.

Now, given CHASE has a WONDERFUL online site..... which card? We are seriously considering ditching our "Disney Rewards" Card for the Chase "Freedom Unlimited" card.

"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong."

This also made me giggle - but so true. I've had fraud on my debit card (oops! won't be using that on the interwebs anymore!) with PNC bank as well as my Chase Southwest card - and BOTH were caught by the banks before me. A good website is a must! Good advice

We have it and use the card to pay for the vacations to the World...we accrue points by gasoline purchases, etc. and use the points to pay for tips for our meals...one less reason to carry $$$. We also have a Citi thank you card which we use the points earned for a rental car while we're there...FREE rental car for the week. If you get the card, just remember about a month BEFORE you leave, contact them and they will convert the points to a Disney gift card to use. When you get there, any points earned that month can be added to the gift card at their booth at Disney Springs. Many people don't like it, but we LOVE it...it's a matter of taste.

Oh! That's interesting, that you can keep adding points while you are there.

So here's another question - if I link the Disney Chase card up to my magic band, will I still get in park discounts? My guess is NO because you have to be using the ACTUAL card for the purchase, right?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom