News Disney CEO Bob Iger says raising park prices and increasing capacity is not smart and criticizes previous policies

DopeyRunner

Jim Cramer has had it as a buy for 20 years. Literally in his first book he says invest in Disney and leave it there forever.
Cramer also said SVB was a buy a little over a month ago...

Disney was a guy 20 years ago for sure, back when they weren’t burdened by poor acquisitions (e.g. Fox), we’re paying a strong dividend, weren’t burning cash with D+, and had strong potential upside without saturating their core markets with content.

The only way Disney stock doesn’t see a correction is with a buyback to reduce outstanding shares or if the parks show immunity during this recession. I say this as a shareholder: I’d rather the price drop to more realistic levels and have consistent dividend growth, since true gains or losses are only realized during a transaction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh really?

BED2F960-2204-4808-AF20-2F7AB5BB5D2F.jpeg

Followed by

B749D8D0-BF03-4A4E-95CA-A3DFE6CF1671.jpeg

DopeyRunner

Aside from throwing $5b down the toilet with Fox Family.

20 years ago (2003) was probably the closest the company has been to it's current position.
I guess I just don’t see as much upside this time around 🤷🏼‍♂️. I see a pretty large creative gap (from a talent perspective) now that was not present in 2003. Not to take away from the cast members hard work, but I just don’t get the same feeling with the new content.

drnilescrane

I guess I just don’t see as much upside this time around 🤷🏼‍♂️. I see a pretty large creative gap (from a talent perspective) now that was not present in 2003. Not to take away from the cast members hard work, but I just don’t get the same feeling with the new content.

Again...

7cf667_42a7f9f78d194aa0aa5c90c6bdcadbf7~mv2.jpg

BTW, I think ultimately these things are cyclical. You can't run at 100% hits forever, the world just doesn't work that way.

The risk of course is, can you turn it around or does the business die on the vine? Time will tell.

Watching Magic Happens yesterday here at Disneyland was fascinating. The parade it replaced, Soundsational, premiered in 2010 with 15-20 year old IP such as Lion King and Mermaid. Magic Happens was full of less than 5 year old IP as of 2020. Just goes to show how well the machine was running by 2020 and how quickly that success evaporated.

Last edited:

DopeyRunner

Again...

7cf667_42a7f9f78d194aa0aa5c90c6bdcadbf7~mv2.jpg

BTW, I think ultimately these things are cyclical. You can't run at 100% hits forever, the world just doesn't work that way.

The risk of course is, can you turn it around or does the business die on the vine? Time will tell.

It was fascinating to me watching Magic Happens yesterday here at Disneyland. The parade it replaced, Soundsational, premiered with 15-20 year old IP such as Lion King and Mermaid. Magic Happens was full of less than 5 year old IP as of 2020. Just goes to show how well the machine was running by 2020 and how quickly that success evaporated.
I don’t think the success quickly evaporated, it’s more of a death by thousand cuts scenario. We are starting to see the impact of the efforts that were started in the late 20-teens. Corporations that large have pretty significant inertia, so any changes made today (that aren’t a pure impulse) will take some time to show. That includes the loss of creatives, many of whom left the organization within the last few years (Rhode for example). We might be entering another “down phase” in their creative cycle (if that’s what you were referring to). If that is the case, I expect more pain points for the traditionalists, and some short term wins for the new content fans.

I don’t see a turn around while Iger and his folks are in charge.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
There is no recession nor has there been one since The Great Recession. At least, not for the U.S.

People are predicting one. But they've been predicting one for three years.

Feels like the predictions really started that second week of November 2020. Weirdly specific timing. I wonder what was happening then.

dovetail65

They’re listening alright. Sadly, the customers this week are voting with their wallets by buying it notwithstanding the costs.

We’re supposed to go to AK Tuesday and our family of five is not dropping ~$150 on this nonsense.
Do what you want, but when you are in that 240 minute line for FOP I will be walking on, paying the 11 to 17 bucks for the LL. I will also be paying for that Genie + and following the 2 hour rule stacking my attractions so we can walk on every ride in the park with little to no wait.

I shake my head when I see Guests waiting 90 minutes for Expedition Everest or 120 minutes for Safari or up to 400 minutes for FOP when I can pay and walk on. To me 150 bucks is worth not standing in those lines. The only time I don't pay for Genie and the LL's is if it isn't busy and no line is more than 30 to 35 minutes. Time is money and I would rather stand in line 5 hours and work 5 hours than stand in line 10 hours.

I don't like paying for the LL and Genie+, but I am resigned to the fact that it is now part of the cost to enjoy the parks. I either pay it or I don't go to the parks, because standing those lines is not fun for me.

My advice is anyone here going to the parks once a year or once every few years, just budget for the LL and genie + and think of it as part of the entrance cost.

EPCOT-O.G.

Do what you want, but when you are in that 240 minute line for FOP I will be walking on, paying the 11 to 17 bucks for the LL. I will also be paying for that Genie + and following the 2 hour rule stacking my attractions so we can walk on every ride in the park with little to no wait.

I shake my head when I see Guests waiting 90 minutes for Expedition Everest or 120 minutes for Safari or up to 400 minutes for FOP when I can pay and walk on. To me 150 bucks is worth not standing in those lines. The only time I don't pay for Genie and the LL's is if it isn't busy and no line is more than 30 to 35 minutes. Time is money and I would rather stand in line 5 hours and work 5 hours than stand in line 10 hours.

I don't like paying for the LL and Genie+, but I am resigned to the fact that it is now part of the cost to enjoy the parks. I either pay it or I don't go to the parks, because standing those lines is not fun for me.

My advice is anyone here going to the parks once a year or once every few years, just budget for the LL and genie + and think of it as part of the entrance cost.
we go often enough that it’s not worth it to us. It’s really not a value in AK according to many

dovetail65

we go often enough that it’s not worth it to us. It’s really not a value in AK according to many
If AK is busy then it's 100% worth it, if it's not busy then it's not. To say it not worth it just because it's AK is so completely wrong.
Anyone that can leave and go back another day because they are local can skip the Genie and just leave and go back another day of course.

I suspect anyone telling you the Genie is not worth it doesn't mind staying at the park 8 to 10 hours either, that is valid.

We used to do that, we cant anymore, I guess I am getting to old. We do most parks in about 4.5 to 6 hours max and hit everything, without Genie and LL that can't be done unless it's super slow at the parks.

I have 6 kids and understand the cost issue. I am so glad they grew up in the 3 free fast pass days because that is one heck of a extra cost, 8 season Incredipasses every year use to kill our pocket book as it was!

Last edited:

jlhwdw

To be honest, I am a little ambivalent about whether it is an issue of consumer backbone or just that there is a market for certain products in the theme park industry.
This. It has nothing to do with consumers/guests not having a backbone. Quite the opposite. There's a demand for a particular product and the parks (all of the parks) are more than willing to sell the product at a premium for guests that want it. For all of the whining and "corporate greeeeeeeed" comments on the internet, the majority of guests like having the option of paid line skipping.

In fact, all of the WDW price increases can be attributed to the fact that guests are paying and, for the most part, aren't voting with their wallets the way everyone on the internet says they should. A vast majority of "regular" WDW visitors feel they are getting value from the experience or else they wouldn't go.

As for Genie+, I still wish they would triple or even quadruple the price. Make it more exclusive. And then you also help the regular line stay moving. That's how it works at all of the other park chains.

EPCOT-O.G.

If AK is busy then it's 100% worth it, if it's not busy then it's not. To say it not worth it just because it's AK is so completely wrong.
Anyone that can leave and go back another day because they are local can skip the Genie and just leave and go back another day of course.

I suspect anyone telling you the Genie is not worth it doesn't mind staying at the park 8 to 10 hours either, that is valid.

We used to do that, we cant anymore, I guess I am getting to old. We do most parks in about 4.5 to 6 hours max and hit everything, without Genie and LL that can't be done unless it's super slow at the parks.

I have 6 kids and understadn the cost issue. I am so glad they grew up in the 3 free fast pass days because that is one heck of an extra cost, 8 season Incredipasses every every year use to kill our pocket book as it was!
Yeah, this was not our choice in terms of timing. A bit of a last minute trip and my kid’s best friend is going so we’re going to meet them at the parks for a day. Just doing one day at AK and plan on going 8-8 regardless.

dovetail65

Thanks! We’re so frugal (obviously) that we don’t give ourselves or our kids a choice! And thank you for your kindness even though we disagree on its value and worth
Well it isn't a great value that's for sure. For us it's worth it though. If I had to stand in a standby line for every attraction I wouldn't even get a season pass or I would go maybe during 2 months a year.

I had three of my kids visit us and they came at different times. Both my daughters said they will never go to WDW again without me again. What they really meant is they will never go without dad paying for their genie again and LL again.

Tom P.

There is no recession nor has there been one since The Great Recession. At least, not for the U.S.

People are predicting one. But they've been predicting one for three years.

Wrong. To claim that we have not been in a recession is nothing but pure politics. Articles like the one you quote are doing nothing but attempting to advance a particular narrative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom