Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

GLaDOS

Why is Universal building Skull Island? And not an Avengers Tower? Nothing on the horizon or rumor mill about it. Why? Because they can't.

Okay... 1) They're building Skull Island because it's going to be awesome. 2) There very much is whispers in the ether about an Avengers attraction in the Universal rumor mill. Has been for a few years now.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Why is Universal building Skull Island? And not an Avengers Tower? Nothing on the horizon or rumor mill about it. Why? Because they can't.
They can. They probably won't, because it gives publicity to a competitor's IP. Why build something where you get the direct benefits but a competitor gets the indirect benefits (licensing fees for merchandise, generating interest in movies and other projects with the characters, etc), when you could instead build something where you get the direct and indirect benefits. The only way Uni would build more Marvel stuff is if they had nothing of their own (or nothing available for license from non-competitors) that they felt could have comparable benefits to the park. So they probably won't. But they can.

H2O_Mouse-Ears

The theme park potential of the Marvel brand post-Disney acquisition is being completely wasted. With Disney not being allowed to use Marvel-based attractions for their theme parks in the United States (at least in WDW) and Universal not being allowed to use motion-picture based attractions in addition to not having any substantial free space to capitalize on this even if they did, the limitless potential of using the Marvel franchise as a theme park experience is painful/frustrating. Although it is understandable as to why Marvel licensed its theme park rights to Universal, that "in perpetuity" clause is truly a sharp thorn in the consumer's side. I feel Disney could do something pretty spectacular with Marvel in either Epcot: Future World or Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom. Possibilities would be endless.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I don't see why it's so hard to even fathom Uni giving up the rights or them working out some deal with Disney, if that's even what this is. MSHI, apart from Spidey, is hardly all that impressive. Hulk is easily re-themed to something else. They can't use Marvel anywhere else anymore so why not just move on? I don't know why fans want to cling to IOA holding onto Marvel. They can do other things there and still keep Spidey.
I agree. It certainly seems plausible to me that Disney could buy back the rights to everything b utSpider-Man. All of the other attractions are easily rethemed. but the Spider-Man attraction would need to be completely redone.

WDW1974

Good God, why can't twit fanbois leave this alone? Why is this so g--dam m important to them when Disney has the rights to all sorts of IP that it ignores. Why would UNI ever want to give up something worth billions of dollars?

The insanity is astounding.

Yes. changes are coming to MSI
.... Hulk is getting some major work but it will remain the Hulk. Dr. Doom may be getting a retheme, but a Marvel one.

I know fanbois are bored and it's summer almost but ...Tom Amity? Really?!?

GLaDOS

They can. They probably won't, because it gives publicity to a competitor's IP.

This doesn't really follow. Potter, Simpsons, and Transformers are all IPs from competitors to Universal, and are the biggest additions they've done to their parks in the past 5 years. Yea, a new Marvel ride would give merch sales to Disney, but a new Potter ride gives money to WB and every Duff beer sold gives money to Fox.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This doesn't really follow. Potter, Simpsons, and Transformers are all IPs from competitors to Universal, and are the biggest additions they've done to their parks in the past 5 years. Yea, a new Marvel ride would give merch sales to Disney, but a new Potter ride gives money to WB and every Duff beer sold gives money to Fox.
Indeed. But those things were all known to be competitors when the contract was signed, and therefore Uni/NBC/Comcast would have taken that all into account. With Marvel, it's a change from when they negotiated.

Just my take, of course.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The theme park potential of the Marvel brand post-Disney acquisition is being completely wasted. With Disney not being allowed to use Marvel-based attractions for their theme parks in the United States (at least in WDW) and Universal not being allowed to use motion-picture based attractions in addition to not having any substantial free space to capitalize on this even if they did, the limitless potential of using the Marvel franchise as a theme park experience is painful/frustrating. Although it is understandable as to why Marvel licensed its theme park rights to Universal, that "in perpetuity" clause is truly a sharp thorn in the consumer's side. I feel Disney could do something pretty spectacular with Marvel in either Epcot: Future World or Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom. Possibilities would be endless.

Disney has owned Marvel for over 5 years now and what have they done with it in Disneyland? A few M&G, and a couple exhibits.

Luigi

Original Poster
Okay... 1) They're building Skull Island because it's going to be awesome. 2) There very much is whispers in the ether about an Avengers attraction in the Universal rumor mill. Has been for a few years now.

There has been shrinkage within the contract. We are also not privy to any new amendments made and/or changed due to them lets certain aspects of the licensing lapse.

Its legal mumbo-jumbo right now. Universal does need to ask Marvel's permission to expand or change. That is not up for debate. What is up for debate is how good of a reason does Marvel need to give. My opinion, as several others, is that not much. Evidenced by the fact that during this Golden Age of Marvel, nothing new has been added or planned. Just cosmetic upgrades to rides and costumes to keep in line with the contract.

If I proven wrong in the future...fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom